Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quietest muffler on the market but low restriction too?? best electric cutout??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the stock exhaust with a Street Pro Electric cutout. Only problem is I lose 25 hp when I close the cutout with the stock setup, so I have a tendency to hit the cutout switch a lot.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Spinntech muffler. (cat-back actually). No drone, Sounds like a flowmaster, but actually flows well.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fozziejared
i think i am just going to go with the exhaust valve thing on ebay..what do yall think? will it tone the exhaust down enough? let me know thanks and merry christmas.
Exhaust valve thing eh? Got a link maybe?

Dope
Old 12-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Launching!

the link is on the first page but here it is again..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

i already purchased this item..but i would still like to hear some of you guys opinion on this item..
Old 12-25-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it's for a 2 bolt flange and cutouts are always 3 bolt flanges so you're gonna have to do some custom work there. Never seen that thing before, you'll have to report back on how it holds up. Seems really expensive too, it's about twice the price of a 3" McCord unit.

Looks like the blade is too small too, it even mentions that it's only 2.8" for a 3" opening. Seems like it would leak pretty bad. There's no stops either (that I can see) which makes it nearly impossible to close it fully regardless.

*shrug* let us know.

Dope
Old 12-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Launching!

well it isnt supposed to fully close..and i certainly would NOT want it to close off my exhaust flow completely..also it really wont matter if it leaks i dont guess im just using this to tone it down..flow thru..not used as a cutout..seller said that the same type item was used on a 700hp supercharged supra..so i assume it will hold so long as i dont get on it while it is closed.. what do yall think?
Old 12-25-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you misunderstand how a cutout works. You do not use it to restrict the normal exhaust flow. You use it to bypass the muffler, so yes, you need to have it close all the way off or it will leak and sound really crappy. So if you want to quiet your straight pipes, you need to put in a muffler, then put a cutout in front of the mufflers that you can open and bypass the mufflers when you want to make more power and noise. If all you want to do is quiet your staight pipes, why don't you just put in a pair of Supertraps on the end of the pipes? Or just put in a couple of bullets? Good luck and do some research before you go forward.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Launching!

i understand that is how a cutout works...this is not an electric cutout...this is an "exhaust valve controller"..the man that is listing this item and the manufacturer of this item both said that you just use this item to restrict the flow and that will quieten it down..just getting opinions on that..not on a cutout..thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fozziejared
i understand that is how a cutout works...this is not an electric cutout...this is an "exhaust valve controller"..the man that is listing this item and the manufacturer of this item both said that you just use this item to restrict the flow and that will quieten it down..just getting opinions on that..not on a cutout..thanks.
Could you link us to this item? That sounds pretty fishy to me.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

So it goes inline like a muffler? Just put a bullet style muffler in there for less and quiet it down without losing much if any horsepower.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Launching!

as much as i understand it is just like a muffler except that it can open and close.. it sounded fishy to me too..but the manufacturer and the item owner on ebay pretty well convinced me that it would work so i went on and bought one so i can try it out..if it doesnt work inline i will go ahead and use it like a cutout..even though it doesnt totally close...oh well just gonna give it a shot.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, but that's completely crazy. Basically, when it's closed, your exhaust doesn't have anywhere to go. I find it hard to believe the car would even run at that point. How would it make it any quieter? There's no muffling aspect to this, it just restricts flow to the point of absurdity. I guess you could open it halfway, and it'd make it quieter, and your car would lose 75hp.

Electric cutouts are completely the opposite of what you are thinking. When open, they allow the exhaust to bypass the mufflers (and/or cats) and dump freely. Much louder, much more power. When closed, the exhaust acts as normal, going through the regular exhaust system. Best of both worlds.

That item on ebay, if it is as you describe it (goes in the normal exhaust, and can block it off), is just plain silly and a huge rip-off.

Here's my cutout setup (ignore the tons of RTV): http://fear.net/~dope/corvette/exhau...rd/mccords.jpg

Dope
Old 12-27-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

I would stay far far away from that item. It sounds like when we used to put a potatoe in my friends exhaust pipe so when he started his car it would back fire and be hard to start. The only difference is this wont go flying out when the pressure gets to high.

This item is bad news I don't see any good coming from installing it. If you do install it don't run your motor above idle when it is closed.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

I think that "quiet" is a relative term. If you are coming from loud straight pipes, "quiet" to you is probably an SLP Loudmouth system...
Besides the point, I think you might like what Magnaflow has to offer. They are one of the best flowing catbacks/mufflers on the market and they are "quiet" like you want. The system is not loud by anymeans, but it does offer a deep mellow tone that I think will please you. Good luck in your decisions...sorry I can't help much with the Cut-Out...Put PM when in what you do, becuase I am also in the market and want some input!
Cheers.
Ed
Old 12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Launching!

please look at the item before you respond...i understand TOTALLY how a cutout works.. i have no doubts about how they work!!! this is NOT a cutout.. i just want to see if yall would think that this will work... review the item and tell me what you think... i know i cannot get on it with this valve closed and wouldnt.. close it only when i see a cop.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

I looked at the item and totally grasp the concept behind it. I also grasp the concept of communism, which just like this item doesn't work very well.

Just cause it restricts doesn't mean it muffles. If you really want to try something like this go weld a restricter in the tail pipe, like the one that can be found on some SLP dual / dual systems in the drivers side tail pipe, prolly run you about 10 - 15 dollars at the muffler shop. See how you like it and if you do like it take it out and put in this product.

IMHO I would not touch that thing with a ten foot pole. I would get a bullet muffler and call it good. quiter and very little flow lost.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would never put a valve in my exhaust stream that could block off flow. That is just the dumbest thing anyone could ever do. I looked at the ebay item and I think they really mean for this thing to be a cutout to bypass flow, not restrict it. You could really overtemp your engine using this thing as a restrictor! Good luck and next time do a little research before you buy something.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't get that thing if it was me; I would just get a bullet muffler or a hooker muffler to be quieter.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:12 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow

D/D

Warlock

Stock catback (/w cutout for loud)
Old 12-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Launching!

glennhl..thanks for the info on overtemping the engine..that is the kind of info i need..i honestly was not trying to get hostile or anything earlier..sorry if it came across that way..its just that people, instead of helping, would rather talk to me like i am stupid or something.. i did talk to the item seller and the manufacturer.. they explained to me that the purpose of this item is to baffle some of the sound.. not for use while you are racing or even in it at all..they said as long as i didnt gun it it shouldnt hurt anything..but i honestly didnt think about temperature damage... i dont want to stick a muffler in there just because i want to run straights most of the time.. has anyone ever seen a 4 wheeler aftermarket exhaust.. they have little discs inside them that close off some of the air flow but also muffle the sound.. i think this is basically the same concept.. except that it just is one disc and it is easily removed and put in place.. just when i see a cop i will shut it a bit.. and all other times.. let 'er rip.. anyway.. any more opinions on this item will be appreciated.. thanks.

Quick Reply: quietest muffler on the market but low restriction too?? best electric cutout??