Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Toys Ram Air (FTRA) Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast Toys Ram Air (FTRA) Review

I just finished installing a FTRA on my 99SS. It was a bit more of a PITA than I expected. The FTRA consists of two main peices and a block off plate. It was smaller than I thought. I followed the incuded directions, which are pretty good, but could include some more illustrations. The install is not difficult, but even with having done the FRA mod, it took me 2 1/2 hours by myself to do it.

The quality is top notch. All stainless construction, no cheap plastic. The only hangup I had was getting my TSP lid to seat correctly. The FTRA occupys the same space as the lower part of the airbox, and it caused some interference problems for me. The tin snips came out and I got it to fit pretty well.

I've only done one freeway run since installing it, but it sure seems to pull harder in the mid-top end than before. Just a note, I switched my TSP Catted Y for a Pacesetter ORY at the same time I installed the FTRA, so some of the gain could have been from the ORY.

Overall I think this a great product and I highly recommend it. Also, it's stealth on the car unless somebody puts their head to the ground and looks under your fascia.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

wait till you see my pimp custom ram air. I'll get pictures of it tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ram air works
I made my ram air intakes as large as possible.

http://slickninja.com/posse/elemak/f...mAirSetup2.jpg
Old 12-30-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
Ram air works
I made my ram air intakes as large as possible.

http://slickninja.com/posse/elemak/f...mAirSetup2.jpg
That is very neat. I don't suppose you have any better pics than that? Where did you get the ducts?

Edit: Nevermind...I looked through your pics and took what I wanted. LOL!
Old 12-30-2004, 05:35 AM
10 Second Club

I installed the ftra when i was home on leave I pick up 1.5 tenths and a solid mile an hour improvement in 1/4 mile et and mph. Had run the car at the same track the weekend before and weather was basicly the same both weekends. Have still got to tweek it a little my airlid was a little tough to close didn't have time before leave was over. Was only mod i did while home and was very pleased with the results.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MCBRIZ28
Have still got to tweek it a little my airlid was a little tough to close didn't have time before leave was over. Was only mod i did while home and was very pleased with the results.
I'm with you on the air lid. Mine closes, but it's bowed slighly on the ends. I'm thinking about taking out my air filter tray. It closes fine with that out.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my FTRA 3-4 years ago. I think it works great, but I need to retrofit mine with the new plate, supposedly more air flow.

****, my lid barely fit even before the FTRA went in.

Quick Reply: Fast Toys Ram Air (FTRA) Review