Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATS 'Pitbull' Cat back

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
Ha!
I'll bet other cops in Crown Vic's HATE you! lol!

...so does the one who drives an Astro van as his "temporary" K9 vehicle!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:51 PM
SSU Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If northlake is where I think it is (i.e. near TMS somewheres)...then its out in the sticks. I know I go like 80 just to keep up with traffic outside Dallas/Fort Worth. I'm SURE that Kevin hits that mark many times a day. If a dude is going 90 and Kevin is stopped...he will need to take it up to 120+ just to catch him w/in a couple of miles.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaWs6
I can completely understand K9Kev's point, if a speeder passes you at 100 MPH, and you are sitting still, do you let him go? No, He's breaking the law and should be told so, so how fast would you like him to go to catch up? 110? Would that catch him in a mile or so, 'till the next exit? 120? Would that catch him from a dead stop? probably not, I can completely understand. I have much respect for police, even if I occasionally speed, and don't enjoy getting pulled over, they are doing the right thing I'd much rather have a trained officer with prof. driving experience speed at 150 than I would some dumbass with no prof. experience get beside me @ 75. I think Kev's in the right here.
I completley agree with this.

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Really to me it isnt an issue of right or wrong. Just my opinion. I have driven west coast to east coast multiple times. 500K+ miles since I was 16. I have only witnessed cops doing very high speeds like that a few times. I know it is called for sometimes, no doubt. 20-30 times a day is just what I thought was strange I didnt tell you to stop being a jackass or WTF are you doing. Its your job and livelyhood, so do as you see fit. Who knows I might come by and see you at 150 one of these days

Brandon
..Yet, I completley agree with this.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW, excellent post Kev.

Originally Posted by K9Kev
I also spend alot of time trying to answer folks questions when they have LE issues they are not sure of. I try to be open and am always honest. There have been a few occasions when a member of this site will get on here and MF police officers, laws, etc. I have always stayed away from those posts and tried not to jump on people for expressing thier free rights....however, in this case, you are directing your comment at me. I then, will directly respond to you:
Before you make an accusation, know your facts.
You have always been better than me at staying out of the "all cops are a**holes" type threads! I always get sucked in...lol

Chris
Old 01-04-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

First off, I'm sure this was never meant to become an argument. If so, whatever, I have people whine to me all day. Second, I see what Brandon is saying, I just don't think he quite see's or understands where I'm comming from. That's what makes opinions so unique.

As some of you have aptly noted, when someone goes northbound past you (yes, near TX Motor Speedway) @ 100 MPH and you are traveling southbound @ 65-70....you got a bunch of catching up to do.

In a typical patrol unit capable of approx. 125, you are gonna have to run for a few miles at the 125 speed to catch that car. In the Camaro, I can get up to 150 for a few seconds, then I'm right there and the deal is closed. The car was put into service with the idea of REDUCING the time driving fast while attempting to contact violators. Do I drive 150 for miles on end, NO. Do I go 150, 20-30 times a day, YES.

The speed reached is for short bursts. The general opinion is that this is far superior to chasing someone at 125 for miles to catch up to them. Also, depending on traffic conditions, this may or may not happen. As I stated earlier, I am a professional driver. My concern is always for that of the public's safety #1.

All points are valid, I think they just needed clarification. On a side note, I have heard a few people say that as police agencies, we shouldn't chase down people at high speeds. I (along with the TX DPS) do not subscribe to this 'sheep' mentality. If the people trusted to protect the rights and freedoms of the state are handicapped by no chase laws, how long will it take for folks (who are not even hardened scum bags) to figure...what the heck, I break 100 MPH and they'll let me alone. Imagine the chaos on the roads.

One last thought:

(1) The world is populated by basically good, hard working, decent and moral people. These people will likely never bring harm to anyone. These people are called "Sheep." It is not a derogatory term, just that most folks just want to go about their lives and have no conflict. This is a good thing.
(2) There is a part of the population that is also out there....people who, without just cause or reason, prey on others. Invading their homes, stealing or damaging thier property for the others personal gain. This part of the population cares not that you, your family, your friends and neighbors have labored for thier gains, only that they can, and will, with force and deciet, take what they want....these people are called, "Wolves."
(3) The last, small part, in this giant group called people are a group of men and women, not super hero's, not brilliant scientists, but merely people who have decided that there must be some checks and balances. These people are like, "Sheep dogs." The sheep dog is often over looked, ridiculed for thier scruffy coat, portly appearance, etc. The Sheep look at the Sheep dog and wonder why he does not play, have a good time, perhaps...relax more. The Sheep Dog spends his/her time sniffing around on the edges, staying up late wondering where and what his or her friends are doing. The Sheep Dog does this beacuse he knows, that if given an opportunity, the Wolves will come to visit and take the lives of the sheep. Therefore, the Sheep Dog remains vigilant, keeps an eye and ear out for problems and gives of him/herself. The Sheep Dog is not bullet proof, not special in the way he or she was born, but has only made a decision in life to watch out for the Sheep.

Hello, My name is Kevin....I am a Sheep Dog

And with that......I'm done.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

I say do what ever you have to do to get the job done! Police officers are the second most underpaid workers IMO (teachers being #1)

BTW how does the exhaust sound?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67
I say do what ever you have to do to get the job done! Police officers are the second most underpaid workers IMO (teachers being #1)

BTW how does the exhaust sound?

Heck, I havn't been able to get under the car...been working a wierd rotation this week. Hopefully tomorrow.....I'll let ya'll know.

Kev
Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on our way to angelfire new mexico, which is in the top right corner, my moms friend was driving the tahoe at about 85-90, we passed a state trooper in an f150 truck who was traveling the opposite direction. we were coming from southeast texas running diagonal across the state (thru the panhandle, where there is 0 population in most places). he had to keep going untill he found a crossover, then stand on the gas for what seemed like 10 minutes to catch up to us. we could see for miles where we were and there were no other cars on the road but us and him, and we could see him the whole time. we werent sure if he was even coming at first, my moms friend speeds constantly, she never even lifted after we passed him . i would have slowed down and pulled over as soon as i passed him, but not her. SOMEHOW she diddnt get a ticket, maby because she told him out luggage container on the roof was pushing us like a sail (she's blonde), or maby because she was blonde lol.

maby if his damn truck could break 100mph, he might have caught up a little sooner

hey kev, is your car emmissions legal?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by K9Kev

One last thought:

(1) The world is populated by basically good, hard working, decent and moral people. These people will likely never bring harm to anyone. These people are called "Sheep." It is not a derogatory term, just that most folks just want to go about their lives and have no conflict. This is a good thing.
(2) There is a part of the population that is also out there....people who, without just cause or reason, prey on others. Invading their homes, stealing or damaging thier property for the others personal gain. This part of the population cares not that you, your family, your friends and neighbors have labored for thier gains, only that they can, and will, with force and deciet, take what they want....these people are called, "Wolves."
(3) The last, small part, in this giant group called people are a group of men and women, not super hero's, not brilliant scientists, but merely people who have decided that there must be some checks and balances. These people are like, "Sheep dogs." The sheep dog is often over looked, ridiculed for thier scruffy coat, portly appearance, etc. The Sheep look at the Sheep dog and wonder why he does not play, have a good time, perhaps...relax more. The Sheep Dog spends his/her time sniffing around on the edges, staying up late wondering where and what his or her friends are doing. The Sheep Dog does this beacuse he knows, that if given an opportunity, the Wolves will come to visit and take the lives of the sheep. Therefore, the Sheep Dog remains vigilant, keeps an eye and ear out for problems and gives of him/herself. The Sheep Dog is not bullet proof, not special in the way he or she was born, but has only made a decision in life to watch out for the Sheep.

Hello, My name is Kevin....I am a Sheep Dog

And with that......I'm done.

Kev, that was one of the best explanations of our profession that I have ever read...I will be printing this out when I get to work and hanging it up in the office.

On a side note...man, I wish I didn't have to drive an Astro van!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Sweet ride .

The astro I mean
Old 01-07-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Saladbar
Sweet ride .

The astro I mean
Thanks!...it rocks!!

Old 01-07-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately I don't have any information or clips of the ATR system for you. If anyone would be kind enough to take some footage of theirs and send it to me, I'd love to host it.

Thanks to all of the LEO's out there for keeping the peace. Nobody seems to care that you are willing to exceed 150mph (even in short bursts) in an effort to quickly stop the speeders that you are after. No matter how well built your car is, this is still putting yourself into a dangerous position. Parts fail, whether it's tires, bushings, bolts, etc. I say keep up the good work.