Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback on the Dynatech SupperMaxx Header setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005 | 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

j, i went with kooks. you won't find a better header if you go with either Kooks or QTP, they're both great. personally i'd rather have someone custom rig a Kooks ORY or get a custom y-pipe to be able to swap cats out, then buy a lesser header system. just my opinion tho!!
Old 01-06-2005 | 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
j, i went with kooks. you won't find a better header if you go with either Kooks or QTP, they're both great. personally i'd rather have someone custom rig a Kooks ORY or get a custom y-pipe to be able to swap cats out, then buy a lesser header system. just my opinion tho!!
cyphur_traq... while this is good info... it's

I'm trying to find out why there is nothing on this board, or very little, mentioned about the SuperMaxx because it seems to be top notch quality (T304 stainless headers and Y!), fit, and finish and if you consider what is included, they seem very reasonably priced. I do agree the Kooks and QTPs may be a superior product but you pay for it. If you read the write-up by jrp...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142

Kooks and QTP are at the top of his short list. He does not, however, review the SuperMaxx for whatever reason. Maybe he just didn't have any experience with them. Not sure. He wouldn't reply to me when I asked him about them.

Please PM me with any info on the QTPs or Kooks you may have so I can keep this thread on the target of reviewing the Dynatech SuperMaxx System.

Thanks.
John
Old 01-06-2005 | 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

There aren't many reviews b/c as I was trying to point out, when considering Stainless Steel most people just opt to go all out and buy the Kooks/QTP's. Even headers only they are cheaper than these SuperMaxx headers. To include the custom work and the Y-Pipe you'll still be under budget. The listed price I just saw on their site was $945 headers only for F-Bodies. Let me know if that is wrong, but last time I checked you can get Kooks NIB for ~725-750. I bought mine with a few thousand miles on them(perfectly fine for SS) for $625.
Old 01-06-2005 | 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
There aren't many reviews b/c as I was trying to point out, when considering Stainless Steel most people just opt to go all out and buy the Kooks/QTP's. Even headers only they are cheaper than these SuperMaxx headers. To include the custom work and the Y-Pipe you'll still be under budget. The listed price I just saw on their site was $945 headers only for F-Bodies. Let me know if that is wrong, but last time I checked you can get Kooks NIB for ~725-750. I bought mine with a few thousand miles on them(perfectly fine for SS) for $625.
I appologize to everyone now but this will be a bit

Very good point, the SuperMaxx system is only an economical value if you are looking at the whole (headers, y-pipe, cats, and install kit). If you are comparing just headers, the competition kills them in price for similar quality and materials. BTW, it's $975 for just headers.

http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...ProductID=6932

Do you think it's possible to put together a Kooks or QTP (new!) system to include their headers, catted Y, and install kit for under $1119 (my best find on the Supermaxx, ($1295 retail))??? If so, where? I have the money to spend... guide me.

Essentailly, I have $1200 to spend and I want T-304 headers and T-304 catted Y, with removable cats and hardware included... full package. Can you tell me who sells the Kooks or QTP within that budget?

I await your answer.

John
Old 01-06-2005 | 10:52 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Lightbulb

Price aside, you can't really compare those Supermaxxs to the likes of say the QTP set up.
Look at the header collectors, short/stubby, practically non existent on the Supermaxxs.
Look at the Y pipe of the QTPs then look at the weak Y pipe merge on the Supermaxxs.
Those two things alone might just cost you real power over the QTPs.
Then there is the issue (minor, but still an issue) of being FORCED to take the EGR/AIR fittings on the Supermaxxs even if you don't need them, you have the option of with or without on the others.

Maybe these are some of the reasons why you aren't finding any real info on these Dynatechs?
Old 01-06-2005 | 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Price aside, you can't really compare those Supermaxxs to the likes of say the QTP set up.
Look at the header collectors, short/stubby, practically non existent on the Supermaxxs.
Look at the Y pipe of the QTPs then look at the weak Y pipe merge on the Supermaxxs.
Those two things alone might just cost you real power over the QTPs.
Then there is the issue (minor, but still an issue) of being FORCED to take the EGR/AIR fittings on the Supermaxxs even if you don't need them, you have the option of with or without on the others.

Maybe these are some of the reasons why you aren't finding any real info on these Dynatechs?
Good points. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2005 | 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcarroll845
Essentailly, I have $1200 to spend and I want T-304 headers and T-304 catted Y, with removable cats and hardware included... full package. Can you tell me who sells the Kooks or QTP within that budget?

I await your answer.

John
The reason you can't find a Kooks setup for that price is b/c they don't offer a switchable system. Nor will you find a ss kooks y-pipe, cuz they're ALL aluminized steel. I just installed my set today, and let me tell you how EASY it was to install the Kooks. Y-pipe is VERY sturdy as well. Took a beatin from a hammer(my own fault that this was necessary at all) and you can't even tell it was hit w/one.

Great products often demand a premium, b/c they're great and everyone knows it. You can be the first to try out the SuperMaxx headers and give us a review, and list any problems you may encounter. OR, you could go with Kooks/QTP and post up some awesome info/numbers....cuz thats about all you'll find on those brands.

You pay to play in this game, you know that as well as I do. Just buy the bare headers, and get someone to custom fab you that y-pipe you want. It'll price in around 1200 I'll bet. $750 for headers, $150-200 for hi-flow cats, 200 for modified y-pipe custom fabbed by an exhaust shop. Looks to me like that comes in right around 1200. I got my Kooks ORY for $100 btw. Total cost of headers/ory came out to be 725(both very slightly used of course). Can't beat that quality for the price in my book.
Old 01-08-2005 | 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

I have a set of dynatech's on my car. No complaints here. No ground clearance problems, no leaks, very easy install and the y-pipe goes together nicely. I can't comment on power since I have nothing to compare with.

Everything needed for install comes with. I order a set of stage 8's but decided not to use them. The stock bolts are still tight and not backing out at all. Thick header flange.