Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE don't buy Flow tech or FLOWTECH headers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 04:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE don't buy Flow tech or FLOWTECH headers.

I just received these headers and i must advise everyone on the board to stay away from these headers. It looks like a 5 year old welded these up as they have splatter til no end. Plus they are already rusted internally. The primaries weren't welded in a circular shape. They looked like a dislexic kid got ahold of them. Even my wife commented on how bad they looked. Plus the area where the O2 bung was welded in looks like it was ripped through the metal as the metal is torn and sharp/jagged into the inside of the header.

Also (if it couldn't get any worse) the primaries inside of the collector all vary by different amounts of length and the middle of where the collectors meet just looks like one giant popcorned weld. It is terrible to say the least.

And if i didn't make my point clear DO NOT BUY FLOWTECH FLOW TECH HEADERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nate
Old 01-12-2005, 05:08 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. that sucks. i had heard that they were iffy in quality, but it sounds like you got a raw deal.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
pictures are worth a thousand words.

Old 01-12-2005, 06:31 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you contacted the vendor to see if this can be resolved?

Do you have pics?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by taufern
I just received these headers and i must advise everyone on the board to stay away from these headers. It looks like a 5 year old welded these up as they have splatter til no end. Plus they are already rusted internally. The primaries weren't welded in a circular shape. They looked like a dislexic kid got ahold of them. Even my wife commented on how bad they looked. Plus the area where the O2 bung was welded in looks like it was ripped through the metal as the metal is torn and sharp/jagged into the inside of the header.

Also (if it couldn't get any worse) the primaries inside of the collector all vary by different amounts of length and the middle of where the collectors meet just looks like one giant popcorned weld. It is terrible to say the least.

And if i didn't make my point clear DO NOT BUY FLOWTECH FLOW TECH HEADERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nate
I just installed Flow Tech Headers on my 02' Z. I agree that the craftsmanship is next to dog poor, but I went ahead an installed them anyway. I did notice the surface rust on the inside of the primaries. I shook my head at that. I would have sent them back but I was too excited to wait for another pair. So far I have no complaints on performance or reliability. I've checked for leaks and have found none; and believe me, I was SURE that there would be leaks after looking at the design of these things. It probably helped to let the Red Silicon cure for 24 hours. It took me 21 hours to install these headers!!!! A big part of it was trying to get the ORY pipe to fit the collectors After snapping a bolt and yelling and banging on the dang thing I finally got it to fit! Like everyone on here says, you get what you paid for. I look at it like I got nice gains in the hp department for cheap for at least a couple of years before the rust eats through. Then I will have saved up for a set of Kooks or QTPs! Good Luck! If you have questions during the install don't hesitate to ask, there are lots of guys on here who will help in a heartbeat.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Flowtech is an economy header company, sure they probably should be better done but do not expect a Kooks header for half the price when you get em in. I have ran Flowtechs on sbc engines before and they served their purpose- a header that made more power than manifolds for an economy price. In actual reality Pacesetter is in the same bracket as Flowtech- they are just made better.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

guess people didnt heed my advice in the exhaust guide :shrug:, i've even got pics of the flowtechs.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Launching!

thats why when people say, "you get what you pay for", you should not ignore it
Old 01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Post some pics if you can.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Banned

i will try to post pics...and jrp dont think i dont read your stickies. I had talked to chris from speed inc and he assured me that they were good quality. I asked if i had any problems could i ship them back and he said sure. So i might have to wait for my tax return to get a set of QTP's. Im just warning everybody since the shop i normally conduct all my business through was out of stock of pacesetters.

Does anybody know if QTP's or kooks will fit on the TSP true duals? Thanks
Nate
Old 01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

Here are pics...i will upload more once i resize

Nate
Attached Thumbnails PLEASE don't buy Flow tech or FLOWTECH headers.-header6a.jpg   PLEASE don't buy Flow tech or FLOWTECH headers.-header5a.jpg   PLEASE don't buy Flow tech or FLOWTECH headers.-header6.jpg  

Last edited by taufern; 01-12-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Banned

I added the pics under my last edit. you can't see things from my point of view SDB. I don't want a pissing match w/ you so just stick to your n20 threads. thanks

And fwiw, im not crying about them. Im just warning others as the company i bought them through has a 20% restocking fee so I'd lose roughly 80 bucks. I will try and clean em up with a bunch of grinding and some other little tricks.

Nate
Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Here are pics...i will upload more once i resize

Nate
That will be easy to clean up with the right carbide burr. Every set of headers I've ever bought had some clean up to do in the collectors.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will try to post pics...and jrp dont think i dont read your stickies. I had talked to chris from speed inc and he assured me that they were good quality. I asked if i had any problems could i ship them back and he said sure. So i might have to wait for my tax return to get a set of QTP's. Im just warning everybody since the shop i normally conduct all my business through was out of stock of pacesetters.

Does anybody know if QTP's or kooks will fit on the TSP true duals? Thanks
Nate
One of our guys Ken has our headers with the TSP true duals. Bolts up just fine. Call us and ask for Ken and he can tell ya everything about his set up.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Larry, those were the only pics i resized. If you see the other pics you will understand what im talking about. As soon as i get home from work ill upload some more.

Nate
Old 01-13-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone on here could have told you that Flowtech's aren't very good quality headers. Please take some more pics and post them up.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Mine were a little rough, but fit good and basically do thier job. You could get a lot better, but not for the price. In my opinion, they are just adequate.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Launching!

I am sorry you feel so bad about the FlowTech's but nothing you mentioned really has any appreciable impact on function, durability, or external appearance. Installing my FlowTech's was time consuming but I had no real problems so I suspect that they were not any more difficult to install than any other LT header. I made my own catted Y so I cannot comment on the trouble you had with their Y pipe.

Installed, the FlowTech's look great and don't leak a bit. Maybe more care could be taken in the fabrication process but if you are on a budget, why pay more for something that does not affect performance at all and has only minimal impact on external looks or durability, if any impact at all?

I agree with Steve Dunn, they are a bit rough but they fit and work perfectly and they look good. I paid about $350 with ceramic coating including bolts, gaskets, and even O2 extensions - I really don't see how you can fault them for the price.

Steve
Old 02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

I have had mine for like 8 months and no leaks, no install problems and they even look good on the outside still. The welds might not look good but I got what I paid for and they definetly perform the same. Ran 12.5 @ 114 on street tires w/ them so im happy.

If i wasnt a broke college student would have gotten better ones