Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deadening interior exhaust level

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005 | 09:11 PM
Launching!

Wow lots of good info here.

Thanks to all of you for the input. This spring I have to do something without killing the performance of the car.
Old 01-24-2005 | 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Here are some pictures

Old 01-24-2005 | 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

According to the picture, that stuff is compatible with f-bodies!

Honestly, I wouldnt trust that material for either heat or sound insulation. Not that I think a traditional asphault based sound dampener would work better. I think in the end, the only real fix is to change mufflers, or at the very least, reposition the exhaust components and hope the change reduces the droning. Usually, the further back the muffler is, the less drone. Also, having more irregularities and changes in pipe diameter will compartmentalize your exhaust, acting like a sound chamber. Avoid what you can without being unrealistic.
Old 01-24-2005 | 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
According to the picture, that stuff is compatible with f-bodies!

Honestly, I wouldnt trust that material for either heat or sound insulation. Not that I think a traditional asphault based sound dampener would work better. I think in the end, the only real fix is to change mufflers, or at the very least, reposition the exhaust components and hope the change reduces the droning. Usually, the further back the muffler is, the less drone. Also, having more irregularities and changes in pipe diameter will compartmentalize your exhaust, acting like a sound chamber. Avoid what you can without being unrealistic.
I agree 100%. There isnt anything thats going to get rid of my drone but it doesnt really bother me...just people who ride with me. I do think this stuff would work better than frostking though, plus its cheaper and I think its lighter.