Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400 hp

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut-out, Pulley, HEADS will def. break 400
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Q-
I agree, a cutout is obviously going to make more power. My point is, I would have thought he would have already been at 400hp with his given mods, regardless of the cat-back. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Another User, if you like the Dynomax better, then that's good for you! And it very well may be worth a few more horsepower. I just don't feel it necessary or practical in my situation to spend the money for another cat-back just because it may free up a few more hp, especially given how much I like the sound of the Flowmaster.

And I said I wasn't going to get into the "Flowmaster Sucks" argument
That is so totally weak. I got blasted for so long for having a Blowmaster, and now that I got rid of it I get blasted for having an opinion the other way. Poopie.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

its been proven time and time again flowmaster is a restrictive exhaust.

asp crank pulley and belt, and a cutout should net you your 400 ponies. yet every car is different.

I had a 224/228 cam and iw as in the same boat as you. i made 380 rwhp with the ls1 intake. i upped the stakes and went with a bigger cam (232/232 fromc omp cams) and sold the 224/228 and i ended up making money off the cam swap (i gotta great deal on the 232/232 and i gotta sweet offer on the 224/228) you could get a good chunk of change for that 224 and go a bit bigger most likely. but with teh power you've already made with a flowmaster catback i seriously believe with a pulley and cutout you'd hit your mark.

best of luck to you.
Travis
Old 01-22-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris77
yes the car was tuned, so i guess an asp pully, will be next, and i guess i will look into changing my cat-back system. i realt dont want to get rid of my cats, i heard that carsound flows pretty good, and with the slp lt, i didnt think a had a restrictive exhaust system, which cat-back should i get.
It really depends on how much you want to spend. GMMG is probably the best catback you can buy but it's exspensive. Random Tech is a great catback sounds and performs nicely. It's not the best looking one though. You could do what I did and ditch the catback and get TSP true duals that dump under the car (not any more had to run them out the back got pulled over for them dumping under the car). IMO TSP TD will give you the best sound. I have read a few post where people get the TSP and replace the bullits with Sweet thunder mufflers and it sounds even better. I had the Random Tech CB for over 6 years and changed to TD. I liked the RT but the True Duals blows it out the water. I'm sure the TD flow better to. Also the cutout after the cats sounds good and by far is the best bang for the buck. If I was in your shoes I would get the Pulley and a cutout and be done with it. I'm getting my stuff put in this weekend but wont be dynoing till late March. I had my car tuned by Futral when he came to Atlanta so I'm gonna do a mail order tune with them to get it tuned before I dyno. I'll let you know how it turns out. Let me know if you get 400 with the suggestions above.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Launching!

just buy a cutout and keep the catback you got. when you want the power just open the cutout.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all your help guys, i think i will go ahead, and get me the cutout, asp pully, and slp loudmouth, and be done with it, maybe get dyno tuned again to see what i get, and thats it. i think i will be at or very close to the 400 hp mark. since this is my everyday driver, i realy dont want a bigger cam, or head work, i already have a 95z with a LT4 396 that i have for my project, and mustang killing. i will let you all know if i get the numbers.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:15 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Another_User
That is so totally weak. I got blasted for so long for having a Blowmaster, and now that I got rid of it I get blasted for having an opinion the other way. Poopie.
Dude, what are you talking about? I am certainly not "blasting" you for having a catback that a) flows better than Flowmaster, and b) you like the sound of. All I'm saying is that a) I love the way Flowmaster sounds, and b) it's not worth it to me to spend the extra money to buy another catback just to free up some extra hp. That is my opinion.

Chris 77, good luck in the quest for 400hp. Sounds like a pulley and a cutout will get you there.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:20 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
drop the cats
How power can you gain by putting a pupp piece in-place of the cats?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Q-
Dude, what are you talking about? I am certainly not "blasting" you for having a catback that a) flows better than Flowmaster, and b) you like the sound of. All I'm saying is that a) I love the way Flowmaster sounds, and b) it's not worth it to me to spend the extra money to buy another catback just to free up some extra hp. That is my opinion.

Chris 77, good luck in the quest for 400hp. Sounds like a pulley and a cutout will get you there.
What about to free up a butt-load of horsepower?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:30 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Define a butt-load

Seriously, how much hp do you think I would add by just switching out my muffler? I'm doubting it's going to be more than 6-8, but I've been wrong before.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

get an underdrive crank pulley, get rid of the flowmaster, and take a look at this link .

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=slp

there might be 15 of your horses right there
Old 01-22-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Q-
Define a butt-load

Seriously, how much hp do you think I would add by just switching out my muffler? I'm doubting it's going to be more than 6-8, but I've been wrong before.

If you like that chambered sound you can get a hooker aerochamber muffler. still has that throaty sound to it and they are less $$ than the flowmaster muffler. they do sound quiet inside the car but make no mistake, they boom out the back. I had contemplated going to a flowmaster muffler with my car after i got the hooker cause i *thought* itw asn't loud enough till i let my dad drive the car infront of me. it sounds sick. and HOoker has a very sweet chambered design. I only picked up 4 rwhp with a cut out over it.

However each car is different. you may only see a 6-8 hp difference swaping out your flowdisaster. then again you could see as much as 10-15. If you are NOT stock internally, you WILL most definately see a nice gain over the flowmaster catback though. hands down.

hopefully that helps ya some. i think youc an get the hooker muffler for around 80 bucks. but a whole catback you can get for around 300 shipped.

T
Old 01-22-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

If you are getting cutouts, spend the cat back $ on new rocker arms. Those 2 mods will get you to 400. And I saw NO gains from an ASP pulley. All I got was a 5* hotter engine. Not to mention the old ones don't fit with double roller chains, so if you get one, but a NEW one. Don't buy one used, or you may be sorry.