Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears or what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears or what?

Ever since I put in LTs one thing has bothered me. When I am driving around town say cruising at 40mph, and give like 1/4 throttle or less, sometimes nothing really happens car goes nowhere, and sometimes it kinda sputters and I hear a little backfiring out the back. Have the LTs robbed all my low end power? I currently have stock 3:23 gears, would 3:73s help this problem? Or do I have another problem? Open to all and any advice.

Andrew
Old 01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

tune it...i doubt its your gears man
Old 01-27-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
tune it...i doubt its your gears man
What is the problem then? A/F ratio? Everyone on here harps about how tuning isn't necessary with LTs, but I guess every car is different. I mean, I knew that tuning would help things, but wouldn't be necessary based off what I have read off of this board. I hadn't really thought about that, thanks for the input.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

I just did long tubes (QTPs ) as well and they do change the way things sound/feel about the car...I get some various poppings once in a while upon decel (this was before I was tuned, haven't actually driven that much yet since tuning due to the weather) but I also think that my 3.23s might be holding me back a little bit, car is still MUCH faster now with the QTPs but just seems like it might be begging for 3.73s as well....maybe someday.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Your car can run fine on LT's and stock tune. It's not so different as to require a tune. And LT's help torque (low end power), not rob it.

That said, I don't really know what your deal could be, man
Old 01-28-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Your car can run fine on LT's and stock tune. It's not so different as to require a tune. And LT's help torque (low end power), not rob it.

That said, I don't really know what your deal could be, man
this is true for some cars, if not most. but on occasion some cars the stock tune just doesnt take as well to the lt's ory, and if you are running your dual cut otus often tahts gonna throw **** off to.

get a tune. It should help you out with your issues. and you can maximize performance while you are at it. if anything the tune can help with the longevity of the o2 senors, help with gas mileage (untill you see you have more power with the tune and want to get on it more ) and in the end, it will complete the mod as it should be. mail order tunes from tsp are 250. pm jason for tsp or call him, have a chat. if you have plans further on down the road, he could give you great advice on what to do no doubt.

Best of luck to you man
Travis
Old 01-28-2005, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

LT's give HP. ANy freeing up of exhaust will net u more HP but at the sacrafice of Torque. It doesn't completey obliterate ur torque it just doesn't improve it as well as it does the HP. Say before LT's ur Hp to Tq difference is 20 then after it ur HP went up 15hp ur Tq will only go up 10. these are just numbers out of my head but u get the idea.