Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA setup with SLP Lid

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FTRA setup with SLP Lid

I have a 02 M6, has anyone used the FTRA setup with the SLP lid? If yes did you have any temp. problems? car running hot? Also was there a noticable gain over a lid alone?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FTRA doesn't have anything to do with an air lid.

There isn't really a noticeable gain, as the gain is anywhere between 1-10 hp. It felt like it pulled a little better above 70mph though.

It runs a little hotter, but nothing extreme.

My gas mileage got a little better too when I added the FTRA
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I added it to my FIPK II set up to try and bring down the temp of the air coming into my car. It does run a little hotter, but nothing a thermostat and fan reprogram doesn't cure.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Launching!

I know the FTRA has nothing to do with the lid.
But do you guys think the FTRA is better than the SLP ram air kit? Also can I get away with just a fan adjustment and leave the stock thermostat? I live in the North East so the summers are not that hot, and this is strickly a toy not a daily driver.
Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll be fine with no adjustments.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:41 PM
FormerVendor

Default Answers within

Originally Posted by tirefryer
I know the FTRA has nothing to do with the lid.
But do you guys think the FTRA is better than the SLP ram air kit? Also can I get away with just a fan adjustment and leave the stock thermostat? I live in the North East so the summers are not that hot, and this is strickly a toy not a daily driver.
Thanks
The FTRA is a true ram air kit while the SLP is really a cold air kit. As such, the FTRA will achieve far better performance results. Also, as already mentioned, fuel economy actually improves as well as better throttle response. Any aftermarket lid will work great with the FTRA and we have the SLP lids in stock. The FTRA's are also on sale right now for 154.99.

With the FTRA your car will run a little warmer (maybe 10 degrees) which is nothing to worry about. If you want the car to run a little cooler, you can just buy a programmer or fan switch to turn the 2nd fan on sooner.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

I think my FTRA is helping me to get trap speeds above 119 with a H/C/Bolt-ons set up. With 410 RWHP thru a 12 bolt, not bad all considering.

As far as what Phillip of FTRA said, yeah that focker rams the air in alright. My K&N filter seems to get dirty unbelievably quick, and that is not a complaint. It's a true sign the air is getting RAMMED!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
I think my FTRA is helping me to get trap speeds above 119 with a H/C/Bolt-ons set up. With 410 RWHP thru a 12 bolt, not bad all considering.

As far as what Phillip of FTRA said, yeah that focker rams the air in alright. My K&N filter seems to get dirty unbelievably quick, and that is not a complaint. It's a true sign the air is getting RAMMED!

Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, the filter getting dirty much faster is a good indication that the ram air kit is effective. We recommend people use the K&N as you can clean it and re-use it. Also, they flow better when dirty than a comparable paper filter.

Quick Reply: FTRA setup with SLP Lid