Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Body equivalent to LG Pro Long tube headers, x-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Ls1's make more power with 1 7/8 on even the stock internal cars over the 1 5/8's. thats already been proven in a recent article in Carcraft I Believe.

Mike

they may make more power on top, but for low end responce and torque, I would pick the smaller primary, you might just even run a better ET with a smaller primary, this has also been proven by a man known as Headers by Ed.

Rick
Old 02-09-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a couple sets of ed's headers,not bad stuff but it won't hold a candle to davis
or burns tri y .
Old 02-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z-ya
I've had a couple sets of ed's headers,not bad stuff but it won't hold a candle to davis
or burns tri y .

Where can I find some info on those guys?

Rick
Old 02-09-2005, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The edlebrocks do not incorporate a merge. That is far from a merge there.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:41 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The Edelbrocks with the slip on collector use a crude "merge style" collector, but I'm skeptical if it's as effective as a real HVMC like comes from Burns.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek
Gimmi a break, diig into the header war threads if you can waste the time.
There are LG's and then there is everything else. If money is no object you go with the LG's if you got a vette. No brainer.
The differences are obvious over 1 3/4 Kooks (LG'S= full 3 inches back including the X, 32 primaries into merge collector, better welds, borla, etc...) you really cannot argue with the fact they ALWAYS produce about 10 more hp and much more torque under the curve. Well I guess you can argue but those who do argue uphill from there. Anyway it is a shame nobody has come up with an "F-Body equivelent" because those guys usually build more respectable max effort engines.
Rage or Die
This is definitely not true. I was there for the whole header war.

The things that I noticed were:

1) The majority of people praising LG headers are either LG themselves or LG nutswingers.

2) The majority of people praising the Kooks were independent shops. Not little shops too. Shops like Cartek use Kooks exclusively for example.

3) Lots of dyno comparisons, however it was the same as 1 and 2. Dynos for LG stuff came from LG themselves.

4) The majority of the REALLY fast guys run Kooks or some other brand, not LG.

FYI, I don't own or work for or know anyone who works for LG or Kooks. Hell I run TPIS headers.

Dope
Old 02-09-2005, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee Dope, I guess we have 100s of nutswingers
Old 02-09-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah? And?

You don't have to get butthurt over it. I'm not saying LG headers are trash, I'm just saying that they're not some sort of magical header that they're being made out to be. I have thought long and hard about getting them, trust me. Just waiting for my TPIS headers to rust a little more to justify making a decision on new headers. There's definitely nothing wrong with relaying and summarizing the whole header war. I've seen dyno graphs of LG header cars making awesome power and I've seen dyno graphs of Kooks headers making more peak power over LGs in back to back dynos.

What you guys need to do is make a 1 7/8" version and sell it seperately from the mid-pipe for a decent price and it would put you up a few notches That's what I'm looking at next.

Dope
Old 02-09-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Then what exactly are you saying? Nobody called them "magical" why flame LG or people that support their effort to make our cars faster with some of the best parts on the market, out of the blue ?

Hundreds of people that sifted through the cobwebs of BS (by people who have "opinions" on both kooks and LG but own neither) and bought what their research yeilded as the best.

I have never seen LG go out of their way to bash another shop, a vendor, or an individual but I have seen it the other way around on a consistant basis.

If you were there for the header wars how the hell did you end up with TPIS ?!
If you do not understand why certain shops adamently oppose LG then you are not very "savy" to begin with as it has to do with more than just the headers but thats a whole other thing.

I like your arguement though..."The majority of really fast cars run something else"
Whats next "you know a guy...."

Show us one independent test where LG 1 3/4 headers made less HP/TQ that brand B.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Oh, do the LG headers actually incorporate a true high velocity merge collector (as the QTPs truly do)? Spike and all? I wasn't sure if they did or not.
The LG headers have some of the best merge collectors I've seen and the merges look better than even dynatech or burns collectors, but the LG headers don't have a velocity spike although that spike only adds 1-2hp anyway.

On the other hand, QTP's merge collectors looks pretty crappy, like the edlebrocks, and I would think they wouldn't make any noticeable power over a regular collector.

A merge collector is supposed to be like a cone and the qtp's and edlebrocks don't.

Quick Reply: F-Body equivalent to LG Pro Long tube headers, x-pipe?