Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you uys think about borla muffs being put on or the chambered muffs from www.summitracing.com ?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, everyone says that Flowmaster doesnt flow. Who has proof? A race is not proof. You have too many variables there. And I am talking about the 80 series crossflow muffler, not the 40 series, as they sound down right awesome. I agree that the 80 series is quiet, but all I hear are opinions, no actual evidence that the Flowmaster sucks. Until there is proof, it'll be an urban legend.....
Old 02-04-2005, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR2877
......but GMMG is the best.
Maybe in your opinion.

What you have stated is not fact. Not that anything is wrong with that, we all have our own opinions.

Why can't it be a fact? Because there are plenty of catbacks that will perform just as good (or possibily better) than GMMG, plenty of other high quality systems, and other aspects such as sound & appearance are STRICTLY opinion.

I just don't buy the fact that GMMG can outflow such systems as.....

-Random Tech
-SLP LM
-SLP 2OTL (two on the left)
-Magnaflow

.....just to name a few. GMMG might be close or even equal, but I just don't see it exceeding the above systems by any sort of signifigant margin. Those systems all use 3" I pipes and have strait through muffler designs.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GMMG has to be the best because it costs the most. DUH!

It's all a matter of opinion. I think the performance differences are negligible. I went with GMMG because, in my opinion, nothing sounds better. It's CLEAN and MEAN.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
It's CLEAN and MEAN.
And way expensive. I know, I got sucked into wanting one. It sounds good, dont get me wrong, just, you could design a much cheaper version of it.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it's way expensive. The only way I got one was during a group purchase, GMMG was accepting paypal. I had just gotten a new credit card with 0% on purchases for over a year. So my GMMG is on a monthly payment plan.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Personally, I've had a lot of catbacks on my 3 different LS1 cars, including:

1) Flowmaster American Thunder
2) Magnaflow (the original style muffler)
3) SLP 2OTL
4) SLP dual/dual
5) Bassani Street Competition

Plus many, many other systems that I have either installed on friends' cars or heard/seen sound/power results on. Some of these systems include:

1) Random Tech
2) SLP Loudmouth
3) GMMG
4) Hooker
5) Corsa
6) B&B Triflow
7) Mufflex using both Flowmaster & Spintech mufflers

All around, my top 3 favorites have been the Bassani, SLP 2OTL, and GMMG. Sound, quality, and power being the catigories; these are my favorites. To call any system the "best" just can't be correct, IMO. Too many variables to consider (especially price), and it's just too subjective.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[SARCASM]GMMG has to be the best because it costs the most. DUH![/SARCASM]
I'm just going to buy some weld-on headers and run the primaries up through the hood.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Talking

GMMG has to be the best because it costs the most. DUH!

LOL, I got the sarcasm in your post..... it was the quote from my original reply that I was still referring too.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FutureFbodowner
What do you guys think of Corsa? I really like the sound of them myself. And how much do they cost? I cant find prices anywere.
I love corsa
It's expensive but i definitely do not regret spending the $750 for it. And IMO their tips are 1000x better than any other tip i have ever seen.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by strictly93z
BUT ANYWAY, yes the flowmaster cat-backs suck because of the fact that they offer 3 inch piping after the cat, which causes a very nice subtle sound and tone ONLY at idle. perfomance suck because you lose a low-end power. the cause of that? very minimal back pressure and letting loose of all of that air comming out....basically, the car is farting....
That has got to be the craziest thing I have ever heard, the 3" I-pipe does not effect backpreassure that much to lose low end torque, and it will actually increase peak horsepower. ALL of the better catbacks use 3" I-pipes, Gmmg, Borla, corsa, even the crappy ones do too, flowmaster, random tech, dynomax. Hell if a 3" I-pipe made that much difference what do you think about the guys running 3" true duals, they must REALLY be losing Hp......

If you want to modify your car and increase performance get a catback with full 3" mandrel pipe all the way to the muffler so that ls1 can breath.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Ok, everyone says that Flowmaster doesnt flow. Who has proof? A race is not proof. You have too many variables there. And I am talking about the 80 series crossflow muffler, not the 40 series, as they sound down right awesome. I agree that the 80 series is quiet, but all I hear are opinions, no actual evidence that the Flowmaster sucks. Until there is proof, it'll be an urban legend.....
I admit racing has alot of varibles but doing one pull with the exhaust going through a flowmaster and then doing another pull through a cutout is a pretty fair comparison. I did this and when I opened my cutout I gained 2 car lengths from the previous pull, same speed pull and same conditions, it was like 5mins apart and from a roll so it is a pretty fair comparison. I hated the performance of my car with the flowmasters, I also had thunder do tuning on my car with the exhaust going through the flowmaster and they told me to use the cutout because the flowmaster robbed too much power.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:54 AM
FormerVendor

I have flowmaster 80 series on mine and love the cammin sound through it, not too loud but definitly noticeable.....but when i wanna be naughty...I drop the cutout and maker her scream
Old 02-05-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

the 40 series mufflers (like they use for the American Thunder catbacks on mustangs) they okay. Nothing to jump for joy about. an 80 series muffler is simply 2 40 series mufflers stacked side by side. I couldn't imagine ther enot being a loss in power.

and whoever it was who said that races aren't proof, you got it backwards. Dynos are for tuning purposes and bench racers, i could careless how much power one puts down with their mods, what i wanna see is how well that puppy runs, with YOUR foot on the gas. Thats where it does in fact count. completely.

Id get a flowmaster myself just cause I miss that tone. (its a little deeper than my hooker catback), but id never get one without a cutout or two installed.

My knowledge of flowmaster is limited to Mustangs as i came from the Mustang world (shhh no flaming here i moved from the dark side), and even they will explain flowmaster catbacks aren't that great performance wise.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Blue02Ws6
ALL of the better catbacks use 3" I-pipes, Gmmg, Borla, corsa, even the crappy ones do too, flowmaster, random tech, dynomax.
Random tech crappy? I don't think so. People with H/C cars can do back to back dynos through their RT system vs. a cutout and only gain about 3hp through the cutout. Not very "crappy" to me.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-05-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psykoTA
what do the pros use?
do you see chambers and chambers?
a box of baffles for a muffler?

no.
you see straight through because it does not restrict flow and back up the system. anyone NOT see the ad of the inside of a blowmaster? its FAR from straight through. its a maze for exhaust gases. sure it sounds okay, but that doesnt mean its helping out flow.

who uses flowmaster?
people who bought the "scavenging" pretext from the scam artist at the exhaust shop. people with "street rods". low riders.

the flowmaster is as much of an urban legend
as is the automatic having less potential than manual.

its your cash, kid.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Random tech crappy? I don't think so. People with H/C cars can do back to back dynos through their RT system vs. a cutout and only gain about 3hp through the cutout. Not very "crappy" to me.

Granted I should have said cheap/crappy, RT isn't bad flow wise just alum tubing and cheap material. The others are stainless and very quality products.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

The 1-chamber race mufflers are hard to beat in my opinion. The sound speaks enough for itself. I had a 80 series replacement muffler on my 98 T/A and couldn't tell any performance difference in it. It wasn't really a whole lot louder than stock, but had a pretty good tone. The one chamber's and 3" true duals on my 02 Z, now that's a different ballgame, or really a whole different sport.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much the rule of thumb with flow's is. If you have true duals yes there "o.k."
The only thing I would run them on would be a mustang or a old muscle car. You can't beat a 1 chamber flows on let's say a 69 camaro with header's dumped at the axle with a cammed small block. Now that's pure music.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like my borla, nothing like an expensive *** cutout to turn heads...lol Really though with different plates you can make it sound really good and open it up when you want unrestricted flow. Can't beat the $150 I paid for it either..