Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise: If you installed the ASP crank pulley what did you think? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Under the Sponsors/Group Purchases forum, I'm seeing a GP offer for the kit with both pulleys, belts, and bolt, but, it seems you can get the parts individually cheaper from several other sponsors here. Would it be worthwhile to do the 'kit' to ensure you get the proper size belts?

I did also compare the price differences with Gates vs the other brand belts ... and the GM balancer bolt vs the ASP one ... still a little cheaper. Gp's are normally free shipping, however, I found free shipping for the same individual parts, as well.

I figure since there is enough people locked in for that GP, well, I must be misisng something in the value of the ASP 'kit' ... as opposed to buying the parts outright. What is it I'm not understanding? I'm seriously thinking of trying to get in on the GP, just because so many people are going that route.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have information about these pulleys?
The Speed Inc. looks damn It also appears to be lighter in weight.
I'd almost buy it based on the looks, but want to be sure there have been no problems.

SLP Pulley?

SLP Harmonic Balancer / Underdrive Pulley, 1998-02 LS-1 Camaro/Firebird
This new 25% underdrive balancer for LS1 F-Bodies incorporates a number of high-quality features you won't find on any other aftermarket unit. Chief among them are a pair of extra-tall belt-retention walls that eliminate the belt-slippage issues endemic to other LS1 balancers (see photo). Other unique design strengths include 100% steel construction (other brands use steel and aluminum), integral timing marks, and built-in puller-mounting threads. Includes a new balancer bolt and installation instructions. Sale Price: $219.95

Speed Inc. Pulley?

SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley
Available in both 10% and 25% underdrive forms this SFI approved pulley is a great way to free up some HP!

98-02 LS1 PAP198 LS1 10% underdrive LS1 crank pulley/balancer $189.99
98-02 LS1 PAP298 LS1 25% underdrive LS1 crank pulley/balancer $189.99
Old 02-19-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Speed Inc. pulley is but I haven't read anything on it yet. I have heard on knock problems with the SLP though.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
That Speed Inc. pulley is but I haven't read anything on it yet. I have heard on knock problems with the SLP though.
Old news dies hard. . . . . .
Knock problems were with an old SLP design. The pictured unit above is the new design.

I'm close to buying the Speed Inc. pulley based largly on the ness factor!