Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking after Pacesetter Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Ticking after Pacesetter Install

After installing my pacesetter headers, I now have a very noticable ticking coming form the drivers side. I understand that with headers these noises from the LS1 are more noticable, but could anyone tell me what it may be from. I have gone over all the bolts and tightened them up along with putting band clamps on all the joints so I don't think it is an exhaust leak. Any help would be appreciated, I just hope it is not going to cost to much to get corrected. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Sweet Cheeks

It could be a leak, but it more than likely your AIR check valvles fluttering. Search for the AIR mod that requires drilling of a few AIR plates to minimize the additional air flow from the headers. It works.

BTW, is that exhaust setup raspy, or are you happy with it. Other than the ticking of course.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a leak to me, what gasket did you use at the header? Did you resuse get a new one etc> Did you get these headers new?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exhaust leak...check the collector/y-pipe...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dear John
It could be a leak, but it more than likely your AIR check valvles fluttering. Search for the AIR mod that requires drilling of a few AIR plates to minimize the additional air flow from the headers. It works.

BTW, is that exhaust setup raspy, or are you happy with it. Other than the ticking of course.
Overall I am happy with the setup I have, it is kinda raspy but I like it better than the pacesetter headers/magnaflow catback setup a friend has on his 99 Trans Am. I will check out that AIR mod, thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Sounds like a leak to me, what gasket did you use at the header? Did you resuse get a new one etc> Did you get these headers new?
I purchased these headers new and reused the old gaskets, I will have to try to use the new one too.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked into that AIR mod, it looks to me like that is for the non race headers, I have race headers so do I have to do this still, I don't remember doing this at all when installing them.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Oh, no. That's only if you're running the AIR system. It either a leak or just valvetrain noise picked up by the long tubes.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I guess it must be a leak then, I will have to find out where it is comming from and try to get it fixed
Old 02-07-2005, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

I did my headers and there is a slight ticking sound from the passenger side to but i am 99% sure its a leak. The clamps that came with the TSP ORY are kinda sorry. But it will get fixed soon.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be stupid, if so, sorry! But, could it be a broken plug wire or plug arcing? Only bring it up because I broke a wire getting them off, and alot of times we(I) overlook the easy/cheap fix. Good luck with it!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

I think that if it were a plug wire or plug that u would get a missfire.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same thing when I installed my headers, but it turned out to be a bent pushrod. I would check for leaks, you will notice black buildup around the area where it mounts to the heads if there is a leak.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Mine had the same thing. It was a leak. I didn't tighten down the end bolt on the passenger side header enough. It sucks getting at that bolt. It was the only one I had a problem with and it screwed me. I then had a shop fix it for me for $100. I did the install myself and one bolt cost me. The shop replaced the gasket and got it nice and tight. Now no leak and no tick.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drove my car onto some ramps this past weekend on SUnday when it was nice here, damn weather I wish it would just stay in the 50's or warmer, but anyways there is a lot of black dust near almost every joint from the ORY all the way back to the muffler, so that must be it, thanks guys, hopefully I can get this fixed soon and my problem will be over.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't tightened anything yet as the fricken snow just keep son coming here, but I was thinking back to when I did my header install and idk but I may have mixed up my O2 sensors, front and back ex. would puttin a rear O2 sensor in the front spot cause this ticking.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

NO! The O2 sensors are interchangeable. So don't look there. Also, the black stains at each joint of the y-pipe and catback are not the noise. The only noise coming from that is a popping sound at the top of a WOT shift.

I think the noise you are hearing is the AIR. I have Pacesetter LTs and haven't had a problem with them. Something you might want to try is to put a small washer inside the AIR (between the Header AIR connection and the AIR connection that ties into the rubber hose). That's probably what your hearing is the check valve fluttering.

Worse case, you have a leak. But I reused my factory gaskets. They work great. So I don't know if that it.

Did you get the ceramic coated Pacesetters? I had Mac midlengths first, and they had a rasp to them and they were uncoated. But after installing my Pacesetters, I never heard the rasp again.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

The black dust is prolly from an exhaust leak.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, an exhaust leak at the y and catback. But that wouldn't cause the noise at the header.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by setxws6
I think the noise you are hearing is the AIR. I have Pacesetter LTs and haven't had a problem with them. Something you might want to try is to put a small washer inside the AIR (between the Header AIR connection and the AIR connection that ties into the rubber hose). That's probably what your hearing is the check valve fluttering.
I have ceramic coated race headers so there is no AIR connection on them, so that cannot be what it is from. I am getting very confused as to where the ticking is coming from so I am hoping by just tightening everything that will help. Otherwise do you think it would be the header itself? Cause I am running out of things it could be. Once this snow goes away I am going to take it out, get some new gaskets and see if that could be it. Thanks for your help everyone, does anyone else have any advice.

Quick Reply: Ticking after Pacesetter Install