Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BG Ram Air Induction System

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BG Ram Air Induction System

I saw this new thing for my 01 WS6. Supposed to accelerate the air going in and make it a smother flowing ram air. Has anybody gotten this system installed on there car and seen gains from it. I know you cant tell by the dyno, but have you seen street or track gains from it. I first saw it on afterthoughts marketplace. Wondering whether i should get it or not. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get it... You never find any used ones but thats how i got mine from someone that went with a blower....
Old 02-15-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Did you see any gains from it, what was your expirience with it once you got it on. Is it worth the money to get it. I do a lot of street racing and am ofcourse always looking for that extra edge. How well does it work for you?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got it too. I didn't really "notice" a difference, but I can hear more air coming in (almost whistles). Might pull a little better at higher speeds. I would definately get it again. Just be prepared to use the rainblocker if it starts raining hard.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I had it on my WS6. I would certainly get it again. I don't have any before/after track numbers, but I did see about a 40* intake air temp drop after the install. I'm sure that cooler air provided some power gains at higher speeds.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I installed one not too long ago and it's a great mod. I noticed a lot better throttle response off the bottom (probably the cooler IAT) and it seemed to pull stronger at higher speeds. Everything was well made and fit perfectly. Great mod!

John
Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Alright then sounds good, i guess thats another mod i gotta throw on the checklist then. Thanks for your guys' feedback and responses. Very much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:38 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had it in my car since early 2001 and it rocks..
I've also never used the rain blocker,the car seems fine without it..
Old 02-15-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had it for more then a year. Never used the rain blocker during heavy rain. Not one problem with it. It is a pain in the *** to install though. If you haven't taken out your hood baffles then when you come around to doing so be careful. You can crack your hood.

I've had to buy another gasket for it though. After many openings and closings it gets torn a bit.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

is this why my ram air hood is so huge?? i think i know what your talking about. i think i have it lol (bought it like that) how DO you take out the rain guards???
Old 02-16-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by muscleHud
is this why my ram air hood is so huge?? i think i know what your talking about. i think i have it lol (bought it like that) how DO you take out the rain guards???
I think you are confused. Your car probably did not come with the BGRA system. It just has the stock baffles in it if it is a WS6. You take out the baffles to make an "actual" ram-air system. The rainblocker can go on the inside to prevent water much like the baffles that are there now.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been considering getting the BGRA setup, but like "2001 White WS6" mentioned above, I've heard that the gasket takes a beating and needs to be replaced often. What's this gasket made of? Can someone post a pic of what it looks like? Is it possible to substitute it with a home made gasket that could be more durable? Maybe replace it with materials purchased at Home Depot or something like that?

The kit looks like a good deal, but I'm thinking for the price... the damn gasket should be better made.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 02-16-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nytmare1
I've been considering getting the BGRA setup, but like "2001 White WS6" mentioned above, I've heard that the gasket takes a beating and needs to be replaced often. What's this gasket made of? Can someone post a pic of what it looks like? Is it possible to substitute it with a home made gasket that could be more durable? Maybe replace it with materials purchased at Home Depot or something like that?

The kit looks like a good deal, but I'm thinking for the price... the damn gasket should be better made.

Thanks,
Marc

It's some type of sponge like material. I can get a picture later today for you of what mine looks like right now.. The plastic backing that the gasket has on it is what attaches it to the hood. I'm sure you can remove the original gasket and find something else and attach it to the plastic backing.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gasket picture below. I've got pictures of the whole setup if you guys want me to post them.
Attached Thumbnails BG Ram Air Induction System-gasket2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2005, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

It's definately a good mod. 3rd gear pulls VERY hard now with all that cold air right there getting forced in the airbox.

Also, if you keep the gasket coated with vegetable oil or olive oil, it doesn't get as torn up. Also make sure you sand that sharp edge on the lower air-box down nice and smooth and that helps, too
Old 02-16-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, that's exactly what I've done to mine. Hopefully, it will last awhile.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by matts22
Gasket picture below. I've got pictures of the whole setup if you guys want me to post them.
If you wouldn't mind posting as many pics as you can... that'd be appreciated. If there are too many or they're too big, you could e-mail them to me. Don't need to **** off the folks on dial-up.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some more pictures. The ones of the hoodscoop show the inside pieces. The honecomb grille was removed, but I didn't put in the nostril corner pieces.
Attached Thumbnails BG Ram Air Induction System-backside-gasket2.jpg   BG Ram Air Induction System-gasket-installed2.jpg   BG Ram Air Induction System-hoodscoop3.jpg   BG Ram Air Induction System-hoodscoop4.jpg   BG Ram Air Induction System-no-gasket-rainblocker2.jpg  

Old 02-16-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a picture of the rainblocker and it installed (takes the place of the gasket. That's all the pictures I have. If you need me to explain anything I can.
Attached Thumbnails BG Ram Air Induction System-rainblocker2.jpg   BG Ram Air Induction System-rainblocker-installed2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Launching!

i've had mine for almost three years. it works great, like everybody said: little more response from about third gear, lower IAT. only thing i hate is having to clean my k&n every month from all the dirt that gets blasted into the filter. only other thing to be careful about is not slamming the hood... moron at sears slammed my hood and shattered the gasket housing! other than that, just keep it moist with veggie oil and it will work perfect.

Quick Reply: BG Ram Air Induction System