Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 throttle cam in 01 TB, TPS voltage ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 throttle cam in 01 TB, TPS voltage ?

I'm chasing an intermittent problem I'm having with TPS code P0121.

I recently ordered a stock TB and SLP LS6 intake that I installed yesterday. I figured out after I bought it that the TB is for 01 car, mine's a 99.

I didn't notice until the install that the throttle cable mount is much bigger on the 01 TB throttle cam, and my throttle cable was stretched at idle holding the TB open slightly.

So, being the rocket scientist I am, I put the 99 TB cam assembly and blade into the 01 TB. Fits like a glove.

Now the problem - I'm only getting a variation of .6v idle to 4.0v WOT. I'd much rather see like 4.5-4.6 volts @ WOT. The TPS% with the pedal floored is only ~80% according to ATAP (no, the floormat isn't in the way).

I'm getting back out there this morning with a helper (my wife loves doing this stuff ) to verify 90 degree blade position and check the throttle cable linkage/adjustment. When manually opened it will reach 90 degrees before hitting the bumpstop, but there was nobody else around yesterday so I couldn't check pedal and the blade at the same time. Might just not be opening far enough with the pedal.

Any ideas ? I will just swap back to my Jantzer TB if I can't get the TPS voltage right.

Thanks for any ideas.
Rob (Bad30th)

Bad30th

Last edited by Bad30th; 02-20-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you use the same sensors from your jantzer, on your new tb? Or did you get new sensors? Good thinkin swappin the throttle cams, many people don't think of that but its the major problem source in most tb swaps. I would check to see if your Jantzer has the tb bump stop mod, cuz if it does that is why you won't get the same voltage, you'll need to grind a little on your new tb to achieve the same results. Its not difficult, but take it slowly b/c if you take too much off and you open it more than 100% the PCM throws a shitfit.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply - the new '01 TB came with new IAC and TPS, so I used them.

For the record, I swapped the throttle cam and new sensors back to the Jantzer TB and the WOT voltage via pedal is back to a normal 4.6 volts according to ATAP. Now the plan is to drive it for a few days and see if the P0121 comes back.

The car feels a little different (better ?) with the SLP LS6 intake vs. the Weiand intake that was on previously. Now that the TB is straightened out I can do a little road testing.

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)