Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my A/C out

Old 02-22-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking my A/C out

How do you take teh a/c out? I never use it but I always have the windows down even in 20 degree weather. I only close it when it is raining or behind the bus. so how do you take it out without prompting any codes?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a low voltage code when i took mine out. I have hp tuner and removed the dtc code when ses light came on. A tuneing shop can get rid of that too.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Mine didn't throw any codes when I removed it. It's pretty simple and straight forward. First, unscrew the caps on the two schrader valves (ones on the back of the accumulator and the other you can't miss) and jam flat head screw drivers in there to release all the pressure. Wrap a rag around the screw drivers to prevent the oil from going everywhere. Then, unbolt all the lines that you can, get the accumulator out of the way, then cut the AC belt and drop the compressor and bracket. The compressor might be close to the swaybar, I didn't have the sway bar on the car at the time but it looks like the compressor might have hung up on it coming out. Lastly, go after the condenser, get the line unbolted then have fun finagaling it out (it will not come out with the line attached, believe me, I really wrestled with that bitch and I was ready to cut the inlet off it).

It shouldn't take more than an hour to do everything. I didn't even have to jack my car up to get the compressor out. Lastly, put it all in a box, wait for everyones AC to start breaking down in the summer, and collect your cash. I got about $350 when I parted mine out and I still have a few pieces left.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 02-22-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, i had no codes or no problems its pretty simple. With this mod, the air tubes / egr being removed, and the battery moved to the trunk. My engine compartment has been cleaned up and has alot more room and alot less weight on the front end.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Mine didn't throw any codes when I removed it. It's pretty simple and straight forward. First, unscrew the caps on the two schrader valves (ones on the back of the accumulator and the other you can't miss) and jam flat head screw drivers in there to release all the pressure. Wrap a rag around the screw drivers to prevent the oil from going everywhere. Then, unbolt all the lines that you can, get the accumulator out of the way, then cut the AC belt and drop the compressor and bracket. The compressor might be close to the swaybar, I didn't have the sway bar on the car at the time but it looks like the compressor might have hung up on it coming out. Lastly, go after the condenser, get the line unbolted then have fun finagaling it out (it will not come out with the line attached, believe me, I really wrestled with that bitch and I was ready to cut the inlet off it).

It shouldn't take more than an hour to do everything. I didn't even have to jack my car up to get the compressor out. Lastly, put it all in a box, wait for everyones AC to start breaking down in the summer, and collect your cash. I got about $350 when I parted mine out and I still have a few pieces left.

You have convince3d me even more to take it out. The thing is I probably still would no t get it if I were to do it. Do you know if there is like a book or picture guide to that? Thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ApacheDrill
I agree, i had no codes or no problems its pretty simple. With this mod, the air tubes / egr being removed, and the battery moved to the trunk. My engine compartment has been cleaned up and has alot more room and alot less weight on the front end.

How do you remove the AIR tubes and the EGR? Will it throw any codes or is just remove and you are done?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

So why do you want to pull it, weight saving?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will throw a code when removing the EGR/Air Tubes..It wont effect the perfeormance but can be deleted after tunning..

Why, good question, your not going to see any performance gains, but it will clean up the engine bay and take some weight off the front.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
How do you remove the AIR tubes and the EGR? Will it throw any codes or is just remove and you are done?
check the induction guide
Old 02-23-2005, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
You have convince3d me even more to take it out. The thing is I probably still would no t get it if I were to do it. Do you know if there is like a book or picture guide to that? Thanks
Seriously, it's so easy, once you start you should get it no problem. Just trace all the A/C lines and start unbolting everything. I have a Camaro parts manual pdf that you can download off my website. It will atleast show you the whole layout of the system to give you an idea. It's also nice to have a 3/8 swivel for you ratchet so you can get to acoupel of the bolts.http://nitrousfedmuscle.com/downloads/ .
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

its hella easy, just follow the lines.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DanZ28
So why do you want to pull it, weight saving?

Ya to take weight off and have better weight distribution and a clean engine bay. Plus I'm going to have the battery reloctaed to the trunk
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
its hella easy, just follow the lines.

Thanks that will help a lot!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

it cleans up the engine bay alot and makes radiator removal/installation a snap. not to mention in-car cam installs.

this is what you should end up with when donn (my a/c)

parting out if anyone is interested
Old 02-23-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy the idler and tensioner assembly.

Search this Thread