Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily-driver guys, has your Jet Hot coating held up on your headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Daily-driver guys, has your Jet Hot coating held up on your headers?

Just curious since the guys over in the LT1 section of CamaroZ28.com have me worried because most of them are saying their Jet Hot coated headers (Jet Hot/Hooker LT's, Mac mids, etc.) have started rusting out within a few months after having them put on and some have rusted very bad overall after only one year! A handful of these guys don't even drive their cars everyday, much less through a salty winter.

So I'm kinda worried as I just had Jet Hot coated Mac's put on my LT1 yesterday...Car is my daily-driver and will be for the next 2-3 years. Speed Inc didn't even recommend that I coat the Y-pipe, so I didn't...

Any good luck out there or is Jet Hot coating not all it's cracked up to be? If so, makes me wish I would have just held out for the more expensive stainless steel Kooks for this Camaro as well...

Mike
Old 02-26-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my coating lasted a month before it started to rust. The car sleeps inside, no rain/snow at all. Within 4 months it was so bad that it started to flake, extremely unhappy with the coating personally.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unhappy

Originally Posted by nikon1999
my coating lasted a month before it started to rust. The car sleeps inside, no rain/snow at all. Within 4 months it was so bad that it started to flake, extremely unhappy with the coating personally.
Damn, that is not what I wanted to hear...Guess I just wasted a lot $$$ if this is really the case...

And it's such a PITA to get headers on/off an LT1, why would I bother with all the hassle to have them sent back to JET HOT to be re-coated after they rust if they will just re-rust shortly all over again??? Really disappointing I just found this out after the fact...

So I guess my next question is how much harm will it do my car to run with rusty headers (once they do rust of course)? Is there just a certain point at which it will be unsafe for the motor/underhood temps to run rusted out headers? Basically, how long can you go with them once they do start to rust bad? Remember, this car is my DD here in the salty winters of Chicago and will always sit outside...
Old 02-26-2005, 05:20 PM

I have Kooks Stainless Steel headers, but that is the reason I went with them. I have several friends who have JetHot coated headers and they have rusted within a few months.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

The coating really sucks, It will def. start flaking off and then rusting after a few months. thats why I got Stainless steel!
Old 02-26-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep the coating sux...go with stainless if you have the $, I will be getting kooks soon.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cefiro
The coating really sucks, It will def. start flaking off and then rusting after a few months. thats why I got Stainless steel!
I have a similiar question. I just got my Dynatech stainless headers, but had them Jet-Hot coated to keep heat down. Think rust would be an issue with these, since they are stainless steel underneath the Jet-Hot coating?

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 02-27-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had them in my old car. I wiped them down about once a month and didnt have any trouble with rust. It says to do that with all the crap that you get from them (papers manuals warranties etc..)
Old 02-27-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

... glad I didn't get my MAC's JetHot coated like so many people recommended I do. The factory silicone coating has not allowed a spec of rust, yet. Of course, I know that will change with time ... sorry your headers are rusting dude.

After I can scrape up enough money for AFR 205's, I'll start saving for new headers and inbstall them all at once.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car only gets driven about 3k miles a year, and hardly ever in the rain, yet I had some surface rust on the LT's on the underside of the car...it rubbed right off though.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My Jet Hot coating is rusting. Don't know what I will end up doing. In theory there is a lifetime warranty on the coating.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Teching In

I wouldn't consider rusty headers "unsafe".

I'm still running the same painted Heddman Headers on my 78 Z28 that I installed more than 18 years ago. The things sure aren't the prettiest, they still do the job without any holes or leaks.

I've read a lot of guys having issues with coated headers rusting after a relatively short period of time. IF I do get headers I'm leaning towards getting a set of.....UNPAINTED Pacesetters. Yeah, if I wanted to spend over $1000 on headers I'd go stainless. But to keep it cheap why spend the extra $100-$150 to get a coating that's not going to last more than a a couple years? They may look like hell, but they'll still do their intended job. I don't plan on entering any car shows so what's the difference?

As far as reselling the car when the time eventually comes, it'll be de-modded before it goes on the market anyway. The more mods it has, the more people will think it's been beat up
Old 02-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

anybody thought of header wrap, that might help on hunderhood temps/ rust....?
Old 02-27-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had my Hooker LT's for about almost 2 years now, just started to notice rust at at the bottom, where the come together, about 3-4 months ago. Top that you see though the engine compartment still looks great/almost new.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had coated Jet Hots on my LT1 for about 2 months now, daily driving it. Look just as they did BEFORE they went on the car. Each time I check the header bolts, I check on the headers, and if they're cool enough give them a wipe down.

-J
Old 02-27-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

My one-and-a-half year old Jet-Hot LT's look brand new. Don't you just love love no-snow/no-salt states?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I've had my Hookers for 3 years nothing wrong with them yet.
We get snowed maybe once a year and deffinately no salt whatsoeverhere in Texas.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm removing my coated POS headers for some stainless ones.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Jet Hots will start to slightly surface rust if unkept. Everytime I change the oil or am under the car I hit them good with some Mother's Never Dull Wadding polish, it removes the slight surface rust and they look almost as good as new after 2.5 years.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet.......but if you buy headers(hookers) with the coating, it is not done by Jet Hot. Dynomax headers are done by Jet Hot and are gauranteed, but Hooker does their own process, which does not have the same gaurantee. Best bet is to buy stainless or regular painted, one piece headers and send them to Jet Hot.

Also, don't wrap your headers unless it is only for the track. I've had guys bring in wrapped headers from their daily drivers that just crumbled apart....all the heat seams to crystalize the metal and they literally fall apart.