Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took off the Mufflex/Spintech 4" and put on Bassani Duals (out the back)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
Thanks Lane... Im going ot have to work out how to solve that. Would it then be OK to attach a 3" X to two 3-> 2.5" reducers and then into the two pipes that make up the intermediate? I'd remove the reducers from the Y and run the 3" collectors into the 3" X

Combine that with the quieter Magnaflow dual/dual muffler and I will have spent WAY too much money on this.
Sorry I'm late responding to your question...

To answer your question - YES - it's fine to reduce past the X. Dr. Gas even makes a reducer X. However, with the angles Dr Gas uses, I doubt you'll be able to use it. Magnaflow makes a pretty nice 'tandem' X, but it's probably too big for you to use where you need it...

You may have to have one made to fit right - in 3", then reduce to 2.5" to the rest of your system. Not sure how big of a difference it will make either, since there still is so much plumbing behind it.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Visceral
Interestingly, Bassani has these tip-baffles for the Mustang crowd, but they dont have them short enough for the F-body setup.
just to let you know, they have the tip baffles to fit the dual tips now. just put a pair on joe vinci's 98 z28 with a 409 motor. man what a difference. might be getting a pair for the wife's car. but, i'm putting a set of their metallicats in place of the cats that i had to hollow out from collapsing. if that isn't going to be enough to quiet it completely down to the level of my car.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I blew my SLP DD appart on the dyno, the muffler packing material plugged up the air/fuel sensor. Judjing by this I would guess it to be a restrictive muffler. I put a cheap Hooker Aero chamber back on the car to finish the tuning. With the Hooker muffler and the 3" cut out it made one extra horse power and lost four foot pounds, I would say thats pretty impressive.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
I blew my SLP DD appart on the dyno, the muffler packing material plugged up the air/fuel sensor. Judjing by this I would guess it to be a restrictive muffler. I put a cheap Hooker Aero chamber back on the car to finish the tuning. With the Hooker muffler and the 3" cut out it made one extra horse power and lost four foot pounds, I would say thats pretty impressive.
The D/D is not a restrictive muffler. It sounds as if one or some of the welds broke in yours and caused the packing to fall out. Although I'm not a fan of much of SLP's stuff, there mufflers have always been in the top 2 out there as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The Dual/Dual is by far one of the best systems out. It always sucks to be one of the first to get a product that is not proven in the real world. Just sell it and get the D/D. Then you'll have your hp and the quietness.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Just sell it and buy the D/D that you want. Hell, buy it used from someone and save money.

Also, SLP's D/D muffler is indeed one of the best-flowing on the market, so don't worry about it.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lane
Sorry I'm late responding to your question...

To answer your question - YES - it's fine to reduce past the X. Dr. Gas even makes a reducer X. However, with the angles Dr Gas uses, I doubt you'll be able to use it. Magnaflow makes a pretty nice 'tandem' X, but it's probably too big for you to use where you need it...

You may have to have one made to fit right - in 3", then reduce to 2.5" to the rest of your system. Not sure how big of a difference it will make either, since there still is so much plumbing behind it.
does this look familar

Here is soem pics of his work if anyone wants to see good stuff

They were not quite finished yet but thas the only pics i have. all i have to say sound is great and its an awsome setup

this is a true dual system 3in to the x and then 2.5 out the back it sound sgreat and clearance is good. it was done by someone on this board im sure he will speak for his work but do listen to him he knows his stuff