Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno test with Hooker Aerochamber

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno test with Hooker Aerochamber

Have any of you guys with the Hooker Aerochamber muffler done back to back dynos with a cutout or with removing the muffler on the second run?

We just finished up an A4 02 that we put a custom grind cam in with long tubes and a Hooker Aerochamber catback. We dynoed the car 371 peak rwhp then unbolted the muffler and set it to the side and redynoed... 368 peak rwhp. Basically no difference. I'd say that the hooker flows pretty damn good. I was surprised. We changed nothing other than removing the exhaust, both through a locked TCI 3500 torque converter.

Also ran my car at the track with and without the catback. I gained 1mph, but I also removed all my seats except the driver so the 1mph is probably from the 100lbs I lost.

I've seen a lot of guys asking recently whether they should get a Hooker or brand X so I just thought I'd throw this out there. I could probably put up a graph tomorrow or something if you all want to see it.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 927 Posts

From my experience the Aerochambers sound really nice and work well.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SHHM/Aero.html

Andrew
Old 03-04-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

I've heard NOTHING, but good things about the Hooker catback. A lot of guys goe from "brand x" to Hooker and have nothing, but good things to say plus for the price you can't beat it. That's what I will be getting because IMO an LS1 with a catback that doesn't have a REAL muffler (read: resonator) just sounds like complete ***.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hooker is the best catback, IMO. I had borla and my car sounded like a chainsaw through my ORY. Now it has a nice deep tone, I love it.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the aerochamber in the hooker cat-back flows 900 cfm which is plenty for most motors. considering how much the exhaust has cooled (often times 150*F or more between the crossflow muffler and y-pipe) by the time it gets back there to the muffler you need the small restriction it does have to help keep the velocity up. my exhaust when I'm done will have headers, dual 3inch pipes feeding into the y-pipe and a single 3 out to the muffler and dual 2 1/2 out of the muffler which will work with the natural cooling of the exhaust to keep velocity up, restriction down, hp and tq up as well.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

I've been running the Hooker CB for awhile & really like it. Last month I made up a dyno max 3" bullet & turndown just for track days. I unbolt the muffler & just bolts the bullet in it's place. I lost 25lbs & gain 1mph, not sure if the weather was different? At the time my car nevered trapped more than 113.?? & that night I got 3 run's in & all were 114.??

My current exhaust is pacesetter LT's, 3" custom ORY with flowmaster merge 2 3" into 3.5" then into the 3" I-pipe to either the Hooker CB or Bullet (race days)
Old 03-04-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
From my experience the Aerochambers sound really nice and work well.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SHHM/Aero.html

Andrew
Your goat
Old 03-04-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

will the hooker cb bolt up to the hooker L.T. headers with the hooker ory pipe???
this thread only adds 7 more good comments to the list of good things i've heard about the hooker cb...
Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueSS
will the hooker cb bolt up to the hooker L.T. headers with the hooker ory pipe???
Without being smart. What do you think?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:09 AM
TECH Regular

honestly i don't know that's why i'm asking... i thought the catback only bolted up to the stock y pipe... but enlighten me O'mighty one...
Old 03-05-2005, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

honestly i don't know that's why i'm asking... i thought the catback only bolted up to the stock y pipe... but enlighten me O'mighty one...
It will bolt up nicely.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TNorman
It will bolt up nicely.
thanks for the info i'll have to order the hooker cb to finish up my exhaust setup... thanks again
Old 03-05-2005, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread only adds 7 more good comments to the list of good things i've heard about the hooker cb...

Yes, That is the exact exhaust i ran on my car for about 2 years. Now everything other than the headers is sitting in the shed. For the price, and sound, there's not a system in the market that compete's with this setup IMO. It's actually a little quiet to me, considering i was running the ORY, and had a E-cutout in the i-pipe for race applications. If i remember correctly, I gained near nothing in the peak hp/tq category on the dyno, and actuall suffered a little through the powerband by opening the cutout. Of course, it was louder though when i opened it up. I highly recommend this system to anyone going with Hooker Lt's
Old 03-05-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info i'll have to order the hooker cb to finish up my exhaust setup... thanks again
You have been enlightened....
Old 03-07-2005, 05:09 AM
TECH Regular

I love my aero chambers on my GN, Great mellow sound and they have a nice look and were easy to put on. I am thinking about another hooker for my LS1 my LM is way to loud and sounds like crap.

Quick Reply: Dyno test with Hooker Aerochamber