Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which exhaust system sounds best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:47 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
how about reading the 60 exhaust reviews and checking out the hundreds of exhaust clips at ls1sounds.com......

Old 03-15-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't even know ls1sounds existed, so sorry for irritating some of you. I will definitely go there and listen to the setup I'm leaning towards.

Thanks to those of you who provided meaningful input and honest opinions. I knew I would get a lot of different responses, and that's okay. As for the rest of y'all, can't we all just get along?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

IMO, compared to almost any other small block, the LS1(with the exception of a nice LTs and ORY or true duals at WOT), sounds like ****. A proper stang exhaust sounds SO much better and nastier, and I won't even compare it to a nasty sbc setup. BBCs, won't even go there. LT1 sounds hella meaner too. I remember when I had my LTs and flowmasters(no cut-out), a loud, nasty LT1 came up. I thought he was cammed with true duals, but only had a catback! Stock manifolds! He couldn't believe I had LTs.
I know some guys here have some nice setups, but the majority of us on the street are pretty much quiet and tame sounding. My current setup still gets bested by a GT with x-pipe setup, hands down. I remember when I went to a corvette show(I had just gotten into cars), and the guy fired up his Z06 almost reverantly, and it sounded like **** to me!! I was so disappointed.
But I do my best with what I have. Can't help the firing order. I figure if it sounds like ***, it might as well be ***-sickengly LOUD. I think true duals with dumps and dual cut-outs is in the near future for me.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBGRAYTA
IMO, compared to almost any other small block, the LS1(with the exception of a nice LTs and ORY or true duals at WOT), sounds like ****. A proper stang exhaust sounds SO much better and nastier, and I won't even compare it to a nasty sbc setup. BBCs, won't even go there. LT1 sounds hella meaner too. I remember when I had my LTs and flowmasters(no cut-out), a loud, nasty LT1 came up. I thought he was cammed with true duals, but only had a catback! Stock manifolds! He couldn't believe I had LTs.
I know some guys here have some nice setups, but the majority of us on the street are pretty much quiet and tame sounding. My current setup still gets bested by a GT with x-pipe setup, hands down. I remember when I went to a corvette show(I had just gotten into cars), and the guy fired up his Z06 almost reverantly, and it sounded like **** to me!! I was so disappointed.
But I do my best with what I have. Can't help the firing order. I figure if it sounds like ***, it might as well be ***-sickengly LOUD. I think true duals with dumps and dual cut-outs is in the near future for me.
i totaly disagree with you. Ive gotten nothing but compliments from the exhaust note of my car. But a GT with x pipe is pretty awsome.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the white WS6 on LS1sounds and IMO it's probably the best sounding LS1 I've ever heard. INCREDIBLY deep and just a great note overall. Check it out.

-J
Old 03-15-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Prior to the high temp paint I put on it but it doesnt get ANY better.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leahjoyce
Any catted true duals that go all the way out the back is going to be the deepest. As for a catback I would haft to say any LT's,catted Ypipe and a B&B. B&B isn't spoken about on here much but I would haft to say their about the 1st or 2nd best catback ever made. A friend of mine has the Lt's and the B&B and I'd haft to say its the nicest exhaust I've ever heard. Its deffently not the loudest but its really deap. Also like JRP stated about to go to ls1sounds.com, he made a good point but alot of the sound clips there just don't do their justice and they don't sound anything close to whats its like in real life. Also don't take other peoples word for what sounds the best. Everyone has their opinion of what sounds good and what doesn't.
Wow, somebody else that actually likes the B&B. That's what I have on my car, and just recently swapped out the cats for offroad pipes (FLP Longtubes).

I posted up a while ago about the B&B, and a good number of people said it doesn't flow very well. I figure I'll see how they hold up once I get a Cam, and if it is really restrictive... I'll go with 2 cutouts, or a new catback

I love the sound though, and it's not bad with offroad pipes either
Old 03-16-2005, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Prior to the high temp paint I put on it but it doesnt get ANY better.
Boyce I can't wait until it's running again... I wanna hear those boom tubes I've heard stories but want to experience it for myself hehe.

Myself I really like the sound of a GMMG on headers. True duals are nice but I like the deep sound of the GMMG. (can you tell what I'm planning on buying? )
Old 03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

F-it Ive got the Loudmouth and I am going with some QTP LT headers. The louder the better man!!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

GMMG, worth every penny.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i plan on getting boom tubes. had a friend with them on an lt1 and have heard sound clips of them on ls1's and i think they are incredibly sinister.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
heard sound clips of them on ls1's and i think they are incredibly sinister.
Thats a good way to put it. Boom tubes are downright brutal. They make really good power up top. You loose a little bottom end with them but it more than makes up for it on the big end. These arent anywhere near street friendly though and if your running it all out one side like mine the passenger tends to go deaf in thier right ear.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=JBGRAYTA]
A proper stang exhaust sounds SO much better and nastier, and I won't even compare it to a nasty sbc setup. BBCs, won't even go there.

imo

Ok back to the topic, GMMG sounds killer with LT's and cat's I haven't heard one with the ory yet but I'd like to.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which white WS6 are you guys talking about on www.ls1sounds.com? I've watched all of the clips before posting them, but there are so many now they're starting to run together. Post up the link if you want to.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, this one

http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...f-drivebys.mpg

He goes by "Blaster" on the forum I believe. Hope he doesn't mind me posting about the setup...

-J
Old 03-17-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh, yeah I know that car. He's actually fairly local to me and the work was done by an awesome welder by the name of Tyson in Baltimore, MD. He actually sent me 4 clips and a bunch of pictures of his setup consisting of Kooks LT headers, Stainless Works X, Edelbrock 304SS stainless mufflers dumped before the axle, and all stainless pipe in between. He told me that he spent a fortune on his exhaust. It's one of the nicest systems that's been submitted so far, both in quality of parts and installation and sound.

Pictures are at the very last section of this page.
Video #1 - Start, idle, walk-around, take-off, and drivebys.
Video #2 - Start, idle, and take-off.
Video #3 - Driveby #1
Video #4 - Driveby #2
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

if you want LOUD go with slp loudmouth, thats what i did and i love it.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Stock manifolds and cats? Don't care about performance so much either? Flowmaster all the way...IMO, the BEST sounding catback for a stock catted car.

Headers with cats? Prolly GMMG or true duals...

Headers w/out cats? True duals all the way.
How come evryone says that flowmasters flow like **** when there are cars in the 7's with flows?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DragLS1
How come evryone says that flowmasters flow like **** when there are cars in the 7's with flows?
Flowmaster makes several different mufflers. The one used in the catback for our cars doesn't flow nearly well enough for an LS1 application. I think it's the 80 series?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Flowmaster makes several different mufflers. The one used in the catback for our cars doesn't flow nearly well enough for an LS1 application. I think it's the 80 series?
OK good. I am designing a 3" mandrel bent homebuilt setup with an X-pipe and the flowmaster delta force 10-series 3" single chambers. No cats. All the tubing, mandrel bends, and mufflers will only cost me 299.00. And of course I will fab it all up myself. Do you have any clips of the delta force muffs on your site LS1 sounds? How loud do you think this will be? I know it won't be quiet but I want that perfect sound.....

Quick Reply: Which exhaust system sounds best?