Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which exhaust system sounds best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMMG, LT's and either a catted Y,or Borla XR-1 bullet in place.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JBGRAYTA
IMO, compared to almost any other small block, the LS1(with the exception of a nice LTs and ORY or true duals at WOT), sounds like ****. A proper stang exhaust sounds SO much better and nastier, and I won't even compare it to a nasty sbc setup. BBCs, won't even go there. LT1 sounds hella meaner too. I remember when I had my LTs and flowmasters(no cut-out), a loud, nasty LT1 came up. I thought he was cammed with true duals, but only had a catback! Stock manifolds! He couldn't believe I had LTs.
I know some guys here have some nice setups, but the majority of us on the street are pretty much quiet and tame sounding. My current setup still gets bested by a GT with x-pipe setup, hands down. I remember when I went to a corvette show(I had just gotten into cars), and the guy fired up his Z06 almost reverantly, and it sounded like **** to me!! I was so disappointed.
But I do my best with what I have. Can't help the firing order. I figure if it sounds like ***, it might as well be ***-sickengly LOUD. I think true duals with dumps and dual cut-outs is in the near future for me.
In a way, I kind of agree with this guy. I basically have the same exact set-ups on both my LT1 & LS1 and they do sound quite different. I have Kooks LT's w/ highflow cats & the GMMG on my LS1 and I absolutely LOVE the sound of it at WOT (super loud, deep, & mean). But everywhere else, I just don't think this motor sounds very good (even with another cat-back or true duals; yes, I've heard 'em all in person). But I do think I've got the best sounding system for the LS1 though. Now my LT1 has MAC's, highflow cat, & GMMG and it sounds very bassy (deeper/throatier) around town at any rpm and has probably the deepest sound I've ever heard at WOT (although not quite as loud as my LS1). Like LT1's, most 4.6 or 5.0 stangs sound a lot better overall than LS1's IMHO...

For some of us, the LS1 will never sound the way we want it too...

Mike
Old 03-31-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS 4 ME
I know this is a subjective question, and I'm bound to get a bunch of different opinions, but I want to know which exhaust system has the deepest throat sound? Our car has had a Corsa, true duals and now a Borla. Is GMMG the route to go?

Thanks!
I just installed a used Hooker Catback. Sounds nice, loud when you stomp on it, much more quiet than a Flowmaster when cruising. It's also supposed to have the best flow, and you see it on a few of the sponsors cars at the track.

I am happy with it.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DragLS1
OK good. I am designing a 3" mandrel bent homebuilt setup with an X-pipe and the flowmaster delta force 10-series 3" single chambers. No cats. All the tubing, mandrel bends, and mufflers will only cost me 299.00. And of course I will fab it all up myself. Do you have any clips of the delta force muffs on your site LS1 sounds? How loud do you think this will be? I know it won't be quiet but I want that perfect sound.....
That should flow and sound great, but it will definitely be loud. I do have several clips of the single chamber Flows on the True Duals page if you want to check them out.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
That should flow and sound great, but it will definitely be loud. I do have several clips of the single chamber Flows on the True Duals page if you want to check them out.
Great, thanks.

Quick Reply: Which exhaust system sounds best?