Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet Hot LT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jet Hot LT's

Well I really want the Kooks LT's but they are just to much money. I have been looking into the Jet Hot headers quite a bit. For the money, i was quoted $533.00 it seems decent. If people who have installed them could chime in i would appreciate it. Are there any major fitment issues or quality problems? What would some other header brands be with comparable cost/quality? Or should i just suck it up and pay 800 for the Kooks?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to slightly notch my k member and grind the tab off my block. It was extremely easy. I would definately get jet hots again without hesitation. Theyre holding up fairly well over their first winter
Old 03-14-2005, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

i've got them and i like them. passenger side went right in, i had to take the steering shaft(easy) off then the drivers side slid right up. very nice.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what i like to hear. So ss2000, you had to do no grinding? Just take off off the steering shaft? I can handle that, i dont however want to notch the k-member or grind on my block.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have jet hots and i had to grind the k-member a little bit. Other than that, the headers went in easily and look great. I also helped install a set on my friends 02 SS and we had to grind the K and the block tab on his. No big deal at all. They make a quality product for a reasonable price.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

I have the Jet-Hots and I love them. Install went smooth but it's not a 2 hour job. I too had to grind my k-member a bit. Not to get them in but because one tube sits so close that engine torque movement would have caused it to hit. My passenger side slid right in but I had to use my 4 ft prybar to move the engine about a quarter inch. Had to pry between the frame and driver side engine mount,it will give. I also had the use of a lift at work. IMO it is easiest to remove the coil packs to give room for installing the header bolts and the spark plugs. Don't remove each coil, remove the entire assembly on each side. I think there are 5 10mm bolts holding each one on. Give yourself plenty of time to get it done right and don't try to rush through it and it should be fairly easy. good luck
Old 03-14-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, dont be afraid to notch, cut or grind. It sounds serious, but its so simple youll almost laugh once youre done. Borrow an angle grinder and youll have it done in 10 minutes.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I got Jet Hot's and i love them. I had to grind k member and a block tab, but no biggie at all!! Me and a buddy knocked it out with n/p
Old 03-14-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been happy with my jet-hot lts as well. The install took me quite a while, but I hadnt ever done one before. I didn't remove the steering shaft or anything else, besides the old stuff. It wasn't necessary for me to notch my k-member, but I did as a matter of precaution just in case, it was no big deal. I never did find this tab on the block people talked about I just used a floor jack and jackstands, no blocks of wood on it either. I didn't remove coilpacks either, I don't know why you would? but then again I have long skinny arms. I bought mine used for $300, and it was definitely worth it. And they have held up great over this last winter. Although for an extra $300, if you have it, I would go ahead and get stainless, JMO though, basically I wouldn't have bought these for $500+ I would have gone ahead and gotten Kooks. They are great, but they won't last forever, I just figure next time I will be getting stepped, or 1 7/8 primaries etc. Good luck with it!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys that notched the K=member when did you buy your Jet Hots and are they the newer design? I installed an older design on my 99 and had to notch the cradle a bit, but installed a newer design last week and they fit perfectly on an 02. The newer design has little slash cuts on the header bolt holes. And if you get an off road y go with the hooker over the Jet hot, the hooker is soooo much easier to get on there and clearances were better.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Me and a friend installed my Jet hots without any problems. I didn't take my steering shaft loose. I had the k member notched while my y pipe was being modified. I picked up 31 rwhp and mine still had the ls1 intake on it at the time. Love them, period.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

No problems here, though I would get the Kooks or QTPs if you drive in the snow or where theres a lot of road salt. Or if you live right next to the ocean. The only problem is that the catted y(tho I didn't use cats) hangs too low for my taste. Other than that, no banging, and they look really nice.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Yeah I got jet hot s the new design or they say! yeah you still have to grind the k-member down! If ya searched around alittle a lot of people have had problems with them hitting on accel ! Mine did had to shim my trans cross member down alittle thats the only thing I could get to work! They look great but fit to tight for me !! The crappy hooker y pipe is what hits so ya can get the jet hots and go with a different ory if I was ya !
Old 03-15-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are better ORY pipes out there that fit the Jet Hot Lt's? So im guessing that the Hookers/Jet hots are the same headers just different coating. Is there anyway someone can post up some pics of what a "knotched k member" looks like or a grinded tab? Thanks, if you guys havent figured out by now, im really worried about getting the right stuff the first time.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was going to go with jet hot and almost ordered but then decided, if im going to spend close to 600 dollars i might as well spend the extra 200 and not have to worry about rust.

But i have not heard anything bad about jet hot lt's
Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is easier (and for fit probably better) to have someone custom make the y-pipe for you. I had mine made mat/install for $80. Good quality work too.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
i was going to go with jet hot and almost ordered but then decided, if im going to spend close to 600 dollars i might as well spend the extra 200 and not have to worry about rust.

But i have not heard anything bad about jet hot lt's
Im starting to agree with you. Whats another 200 bucks? Might as well since Kooks has a specific 2000 model year set of headers that will go in with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But please prove me wrong, save me my own money lol.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

I paid $468.00 shipped for mine new. I probably would have gone with kooks myself if it weren't for the great deal I got on the Jet-Hots. Hooker y-pipe doesn't bang if it's adjusted right before you tighten the clamps.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J.
But please prove me wrong, save me my own money lol.
You dont want to regret it later..................
Did that help!