Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best sounding catback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default best sounding catback?

Whats the best sounding catback that flows good and sounds good with a cam ,I'm running the hooker but its kinda quiet untill wide open. i was thinking about magnaflow or the mufflex 4 inch ?

Last edited by darkside; 03-15-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
Whats the best sounding catback that flows good and sounds good with a cam ,I'm running the hooker but its kinda quiet untill wide open. i was thinking about magnaflow or the mufflex 4 inch ?
Yours is quiet at idle w/ LT's, ORY, and Hooker? I have the same setup basically with the exception of the catback (magnaflow vs hooker) and I think mine is pretty loud. It's ridiculously loud with the cutout open.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the hooker muffler is good with no cats and cammin. If you want more, go true duals.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.ls1sounds.com
Old 03-16-2005, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

GMMG!!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiquidSword
GMMG!!
dude..i wont even bullshit..i just got this exhaust put on and it sounds awesome!!! ls1sounds doesnt even give it justice...it sounds awesome!!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Well your question is a very subjective one to begin with. Every person will have their own taste in catbacks for certain reasons: some like loud, others like quiet, some like rasp, others like it smooth, some care about performance and flow, etc.

You say that you have the Hooker with LTs and ORY and you think it's quiet? I have LTs and an ORY with Magnaflow and I think it's actually fairly loud (it's VERY loud at WOT). I'm actually looking to tone mine down and make it a bit smoother, so I'm going with SLP's 2OTL exhaust. If you want something louder than you currently have, you might look into something like GMMG, but be aware that it will have tons of rasp in it. Even more so would be Borla or SLP's Loudmouth, but in my opinion those both sound terrible with LTs and ORY. They're simply too loud, raw, and raspy. But pretty much anything else besides those options will be quieter or just barely louder.

Your last option is true duals, which are pretty cheap to do once you already have headers. There are plenty of ways to set them up and get different tones out of them, so you might want to do some research and try ls1sounds.com to get a feel for what you really want.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the money you spend on a system like gmmg or corsa like i did, go out and get some custom duals
Old 03-16-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you do end up going with GMMG or LM or something to that nature...get a catted Y, to reduce the rasp...
Old 03-16-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

yeh, if ur going with wth headers/y-pipe, at least get some cats on there. WIth my stroker, the exhaust is really loud!! I heard my car from two blocks away when it was getting tested....

In one hand, that rocks, but for the street, it may cause unwanted attention....... Im really considering going with a chambered muffler in the i-pipe, replacing the reso, but i havent picked out which one will give the deepest, rumble....

personally, stay away from the mufflex, its not worth it, the magnaflow is nice and i also like the flowmaster, despite wat some might say, its got a nice low rumble to it. And if you wish, try looking at some true dual setups, they will sound deep and loud, domething im considering but wont yet because i would like to keep the y-pipe for a while....

good luck
Old 03-17-2005, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

dude..i wont even bullshit..i just got this exhaust put on and it sounds awesome!!! ls1sounds doesnt even give it justice...it sounds awesome!!
Amen. Never can tell through your computer speakers. GMMG sounds mean