Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to get rid of the exhaust RASP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6Power
I had the same problem with rasp at around 2500 rpms. It`s just the nature of the LS1, it may have something to do with the firing order. Don`t add cats to your car unless you want to lose 15 HP. I added a dynomax bullet in the I-pipe, it`s the cheapest cure. Or you could ditch the Corsa and add the Hooker cat-back for around $300. It flows good and sounds great. Check out the sound clips above.
Unless this is regarding some stock cats or generic Catco's, you obviously don't know what you're talking about...

Anyways, I absolutely do NOT like the sound of catless Y-pipe set-ups on 4th gens at all...The rasp sounds like **** in the mid rpms and the lack of cats do not provide a good tone IMO...I actually have a 12" Dynomax Bullet in place of the cat on my LT1 and I am not happy with the sound of the car anymore, so I'm having a Random Tech highflow welded in place of it next week. With the offroad pipe, it would sound even worse.

Like said, the bullet will help, but only a little as you'll still have noticeable rasp. But if you want to kill it completely and have a deeper/cleaner tone, go with a catted Y. Or true duals with an X-pipe set-up if you decide you must leave the cats off...

Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Like said, the bullet will help, but only a little as you'll still have noticeable rasp. But if you want to kill it completely and have a deeper/cleaner tone, go with a catted Y.

Mike this is why I went with the Sprial flow bullet. On a scale of 100, with 1 being the worst. It took care of 99% of the rasp. It also toned the car down enough that I can drive around the city with any fear of getting a ticket. Before anything over 2,000 rpm was loud enough that you will get a ticket.

Now a LT/MId header with a gmmg and no cats is go to jail loud. It was fun for about 2 wks!! If somebody says it isnt loud they have severe hearing Loss!!! Later John
Old 03-17-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe.
I tried a bullet and it makes the rasp more quiet, but the XR-1 pretty much takes 95% of it away AND makes it more quiet.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the guys that lost big HP using the CCI inserts were just putting one in the i-pipe, not one in each side of the y-pipe like I did. It makes a big differance which direction you install them also. I did not feel like there was a drop in HP. If you put just a single one in the i-pipe it does not kill the rasp like one in each side of the y-pipe.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Wow! This is bunch of info to digest! I like loud but as someone once said, sorry I missed that my car is too loud, what did you say! My car is very loud, which I like but I dont think the local cops will like it too long. Is the spiral flow mentioned above made by moroso or is there another available? I might be better off with a couple of cats in the Y to quiet her down a little. Now here is the $2 question what cats to go with!?!?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TOOSLO5
Wow! This is bunch of info to digest! I like loud but as someone once said, sorry I missed that my car is too loud, what did you say! My car is very loud, which I like but I dont think the local cops will like it too long. Is the spiral flow mentioned above made by moroso or is there another available? I might be better off with a couple of cats in the Y to quiet her down a little. Now here is the $2 question what cats to go with!?!?
Pro Flo makes a Twister series that is like the Moroso (actually think that the Twister came out first). They make them in two different lengths and suposedly they flow better than the Morosos and the same as a Dynomax bullet. My new exhaust set up is going to be a dumped y-pipe with a Flo Pro. No sponsors sell them but send Lane a PM, he stocks them. If you don't have to have cats don't bother running them.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. I found their web site and it looks like the F4 is 4" od and comes in two lenghts, 12" and 17" bodies. I like the idea of the Flo Pro and the install could be done easily. I will be sure to post what I do and the results after I make up my mind, whenever that may be.

Quick Reply: Need to get rid of the exhaust RASP!