Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which headers should i buy, best bang for the buck?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no one recommends getting shorties or mid size headers? What about the ground clearance for the long tubes? Does anybody know if they will scrap? I've seen someone, with what i think has no comman sense, anyways he bought long tubes and we all told him becareful those might scrap. He put them in, and sure enough, they have very short ground clearance, and every so often he scraps. I mean, you hear this horrorable sound and stuff.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

thats a pt cruiser not an ls1 , big diff
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following headers are the best in regards to tucking up and not affecting ground clearance:

Jet-Hots
Hookers
FlowTechs
Pacesetters

I don't know about Kooks or QTP (Grott style) headers. SLPs will be the worst for ground clearance, even on a stock ride height car.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
The following headers are the best in regards to tucking up and not affecting ground clearance:

Jet-Hots
Hookers
FlowTechs
Pacesetters

I don't know about Kooks or QTP (Grott style) headers. SLPs will be the worst for ground clearance, even on a stock ride height car.
Well im glad i read that i was just about certian on the SLP ss headers. Still in debate
Old 03-23-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Ok im almost 100% convinced on the LT Pacesetters after hearing all the testimonials.

One more question regarding keeping the ECU happy. Lets assume the car is for "off-road use" and emissions dont apply. Im gonna run the LT's and ORYP. My understanding is i need a pair of o2 simulators to take the place of the rear o2 sensors, then i can just leave the o2 sensors in the ORYP or use o2 plugs. This will keep the CEL light off, even though it doesnt actually hurt performance if its on? Am i on track or am i missing anything?

Furthermore, lets say i want to remove the EGR hoses, that odd charcoal canister thing under the fuse box, and the contraption on the passenger side front of the motor that goes from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold that has a sensor on it. If i unplug it and leave the sensor hanging, then plug the intake manifold hole, will the ECU throw any codes? Is there anything else im missing here guys?

Thanks as always
Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

^Questions. Comments. Advice?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you remove the EGR and AIR systems, the SES light will stay on, but performance will not be affected. To get rid of the annoying light you would have to get those sensors removed from the PCM. I'm pretty sure most of the sponsors offer a basic tune where they remove the EGR/AIR sensors, do a quick A/F ratio tune for the headers, etc. for < 1/2 the cost of a full dyno tune. Or, you could get LS1edit or similar software and do it yourself.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

I thought they can also eliminate the o2 light...so i may as well save my $90 for the o2 sensors and put it on the tune right?
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

Let me be more clear about what i was trying to ask. Im a noob to LS1's so it has to be broken down for me...sorry.

Is the only light that comes on for anything emmisions related is the SES(service engine soon) light?

Is there any negative performance related issues from the SES light being on(limp mode, timing retard, etc).

Can the light be turned back off by tuning such as LS1Edit?

There is a metal hose that comes off each exhaust manifold. They meet each other then go to some contraption under the fuse box on the front driver side of the engine bay. Can this entire system be removed and does it have anything to do with venting the fuel tank? If so does anything else need to be done/modified?

Thanks for everyones help i just dont want to mess anything up.