Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my QTPs and ORY.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my QTPs and ORY.

Saturday my friend and I installed my QTP LTs and QTP ORY pipe. We started on the passenger side first. It went in with no problem, slid right up after wiggling it around for a minute. Installed all the bolts and came to the last one, but it wouldn't go! It seemed to be off about a 1/16 of an inch. Took the other bolts back out, and tried it again. Same problem. We messed around with it for a while and finally dropped the header back out to find that one of the holes was off. We drilled it a little bit, slid it back in and that took care of the problem. Has anyone else had that happen? I have never heard of that with QTPs!

To the driver side. It was a little harder to get in. We had to get the car very high and we were still having trouble getting it in. We found the header was hitting on the oil drain plug. We removed that and it slid right up. So, I recommend that you get the driver side as high as you can, and remove your oil drain when installing these headers.

The Y wasn't as bad as what people made it out to be. It comes in a lot of pieces, but we were able to adjust it well and it tucks up very nicely and I have NO banging at all. I did have to cut about 6 inches off of my intermediate pipe to get it to fit into the collector.

Overall, I am VERY please with the quality of these headers, they are beautiful. Other than one of the header bolts holes being off on the passenger side, they went in very easily. Im sure this is a VERY isolated incident of this problem, and it was easy enough to take care of.

I 100% recommend QTPs to anyone looking for a quality header.

By the way, the headers are hooked up to a GMMG exhaust, and it sounds great! Im am getting hardly any rasp with this set-up. I think the merge on the QTP Y pipe really helps reduce the rasp on this set-up. It sounds VERY mean. Has a great growl to it. Car feels to pull a bit harder also. It was the first time I had driven it in 4 months though, so it was a little hard to tell.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Glad to hear you like them. For that price/reputation im dissapointed you had to drill the hole out now theres no ceramic coating in that hole not a huge deal but you shouldnt have to modify production pieces IMO.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Glad to hear you like them. For that price/reputation im dissapointed you had to drill the hole out now theres no ceramic coating in that hole not a huge deal but you shouldnt have to modify production pieces IMO.
Trust me man, I was cursing QTP and extremely pissed that I paid $680 for headers that were not drilled correctly. I have calmed down a little about it now. I have not heard of this problem before either. Just sucks it had to happen to me.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its crazy how lots of people swear by qtp, but theres a few that have little quality issue. a while back it took forever for people to get their qtp headers, and your situation, and then someone posted the qtp y pipe wouldnt fit hooker or jet hot headers. but atleast you did get them on, and you are happy.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Banned

Sanders
We have never had a problem to date with the flanges. They are all laser cut so dont know how one would be off. Either way im glad you are happy. But in the future, call us first. So if there is a probllem with a part we like to correct it asap.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Is it common to have to cut the GMMG I-pipe? cuz i sure hope not thats what i'll be mating it with
Old 03-28-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

had to cut my corsa i pipe about 8 inches, my friend had to cut his gmmg about 6, so yes you have to cut the pipe
Old 03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats, those are nice headers and it's a great combo with the GMMG.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Is it common to have to cut the GMMG I-pipe? cuz i sure hope not thats what i'll be mating it with

Barry whats your take on this?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

It is very common to have to cut off some of your intermediate pipe. I imagine it is because of the longer flowmaster merge collector. its not a big deal at all man, just break out a saw.

Barry, like I said, Im very pleased with the headers, and I have never heard of that problem before, Im sure it was just an isolated incident. Since there laser cut, kind of makes ya wonder how it got off though! I'll be sure and call ya in the future. I almost e-mailed ya about it, but figured you wouldn't really care. Glad to hear you do.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Great choice in headers/ORY, I love mine.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My QTP's should be here next week
Old 03-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28smokin
My QTP's should be here next week
Ill be ordering mine pretty soon. Same setup.....who needs cats
Old 03-29-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put my headers and ORY in last friday. The pipe on the drivers side of the y hung down more that I wanted. It was like the angle from the collector was down to much. We welded the y together the best we could. Then we cut the low part of the pipe off and fitted it so it did not hang down. Has anyone else done that? Other that that it went well. It helps to have a lift