Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP....I'm stumped??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP....I'm stumped??

Here it goes......yesterday i went to start my car just like any other normal day, and it would not start. it just made a clicking sounds which told me that the battery was dead. So no big deal i jumped it, drive it let it sit and idle to charge it back up.....checked the volt gauge and it was fine and parked it. As I was leaving i locked it and when it honked it was really weak..so i went back in to try and start it and it was dead again??? I was pissed at her so i left her to think about what she did to me....anyhow i went out today expecting to jump it and figured i would try and it started right up no problem just like normal with no jump. So in a nut shell i left it dead over night...and somehow was able to start the next day with no jump. Any thoughts on what this is.
And the battery seems to be fine...."still has the green indicator light on it showing bright?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

How old is the battery? Get it load tested to see if it has some dead cells.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Driving a car around with a bad battery = Good way to ruin a good altenator.
Go get the battery tested, and sitting on a charger.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start by taking off both terminals and cleaning them up and re-tightening.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:11 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well if the battery was DEAD it will not accept any charge. this happened to my family's old pickup that we left in our driveway for the entire winter 2 years ago. Couldn't even hear the starter when you turned the key. Use some sandpaper on the terminals and connectors to clean them up.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Hey that happened to my SS once. I couldn't figure out why my car wouldn't start besides thinking the battery being dead. I'd let the battery charge good, then go start it up and it would be dead. Then at times, i would just crank the car and it would start up just fine. It's most likely the battery. I went out and bought one of those Red top battery. My car seems fine now. Also, check to see if you have a loose connection. Something that simple could be over looked sometimes.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the replys guys.....I ended up taking the car to the dealership to make sure there was anythign major wrong with the ignition, starter, alt., are what ever else. Basically i paid them to tell me I just need a new battery. So i went to sears and bought a red top. Least i know the problem is fixed and gained a little knowledge in the process. I didn't know battery's could just die and come back to life like that. Anyhow thanks again for all the help.