Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those with TSP duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:20 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
Jerami,

What torque arm you running? I'm having Billingsley Fab one up to match my dual exhaust. However I know a lot of guys are going with the Alston to fit the Duals.

Floyd.
im running the stock one for now, i'd eventually like to get the LGM piece. i'd like to think i can get some decent clearance with the stock tq w/o having to change my driving style because they hang so low but :dunno:
Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
im running the stock one for now, i'd eventually like to get the LGM piece. i'd like to think i can get some decent clearance with the stock tq w/o having to change my driving style because they hang so low but :dunno:
You could always put a lift kit on the car lol
Old 04-12-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had tsp true duals once already and the clearance sucked both ways...torque arm and ground. so im running 3"-2.5" reducers off the headers and ran a full 2.5" x pipe to the mufflers. i dont know how much more clearance youre gonna get with the 3" x. also make sure the x pipe is right side up

Last edited by Wickid Z; 04-12-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

oh yeah, happy birthday jerami
Old 04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

I have Lane's 3" setup, and I've got maybe a little less than a hand's worth of clearance from my X to the torque arm (i have the stock one too). The X on mine comes up to maybe 1/2 inch from the top of a coke can, the mufflers clear the can, and between the X and collector on the driver's side slightly lower than the X (about an inch lower than the stock crushed Y which couldn't clear a coke can). I'm at stock ride height as well. I've got pics of ground clearance but still need to host them, and I could take some of the X and torque arm if you want me to. Hope you get it figured out JRP as it would be REALLY hard for me at least to go back to a Y.

Jason
Old 04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
oh yeah, happy birthday jerami
birthday was yesterday but thanks

i guess what im trying to get at is if my situation is "normal" and im just used to all the clearance i had with my old custom catted Y and magnaflow setup or if indeed my **** hangs lower then normal. from the looks of it, it appears that ground clearance or lack there of is just part of the deal with duals shy of going completely custom.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

im going completely custom
Old 04-12-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

I showed my pics to Lane and he was shocked at how low they hang. Actually, he wasn't particularly shocked, cause he said he's seen it a million times with TSP's systems.

According to Lane, and many who have his exhaust, clearance isn't as big of an issue with his setup.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

JRP you have pics in your mail. and my car is lowered quite a bit.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:51 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by 4.6gt-2-ls1ta
JRP you have pics in your mail. and my car is lowered quite a bit.
got the pics, thanks. you got alot more tq arm clearance then i do. mines resting on the muthafucka and i still aint got no clearance
Old 04-12-2005, 08:08 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I never have any clearance issues with -any- true duals that I've installed. It does come close to the stock torque arm in one place, but at right height it does not touch when adjusted properly. The main issue I see is that everyone just lets the bullets hang and then drill the holes to mount them in whatever position they end up in. I always leave all the clamps loose and mount the bullets up as close to the body as possible, the mount hole closest to bullet is the one to use. Mount this in the body parting line above the floor pan. Sometimes I've had to force the bullets into place with a transmission jack before getting them into position.

Remember if you do this on jackstands and your rear axle is not supported it will not allow you to adjust the true duals at true ride height with weight on the wheels.

I showed my pics to Lane and he was shocked at how low they hang. Actually, he wasn't particularly shocked, cause he said he's seen it a million times with TSP's systems.
I doubt it was a million, there is only a few hundred even made. Does he still build those in a rental storage building with a $399 welder from Sams... with the lack of overhead I'm sure he could help sponsor LS1tech.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
I never have any clearance issues with -any- true duals that I've installed. It does come close to the stock torque arm in one place, but at right height it does not touch when adjusted properly. The main issue I see is that everyone just lets the bullets hang and then drill the holes to mount them in whatever position they end up in. I always leave all the clamps loose and mount the bullets up as close to the body as possible, the mount hole closest to bullet is the one to use. Mount this in the body parting line above the floor pan. Sometimes I've had to force the bullets into place with a transmission jack before getting them into position.

Remember if you do this on jackstands and your rear axle is not supported it will not allow you to adjust the true duals at true ride height with weight on the wheels.

I doubt it was a million, there is only a few hundred even made. Does he still build those in a rental storage building with a $399 welder from Sams... with the lack of overhead I'm sure he could help sponsor LS1tech.
i've done it both ways; first time around the car was on 4 jack stands and it hung way low. second time i put the car on 4 ramps to load the supspension up. im using my tranny jack to prop up the bullets as far as they go but the tq arm isnt allowing much movement. both times i've left the clamps loose to allow the best positioning but its just that damn tq arm.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 PM

Try doing each side individually, there should still be a 1/4" gap at the x-pipe where it comes close to the torque arm. The x should be the lowest point, not the tips. If you have to, put something in between the x and torque arm to keep the clearance where you want it, then tighten everything down while you have the pipe pryed down. Then remove the your 'spacer'.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Joseph, sorry I didn't mean literally a million times, just stating that Lane says he's heard of clearance issues many times before with TSP duals.

Not trying to bash your product, in fact I really liked the way it sounded, but the clearance issues were just too much for me. Also, if you look up kpowr82@msn.com in your systems, you'll see that I've done a bit of business with you recently. I will continue to do so cause TSP offers great prices and great customer service.

BTW, your special on mail order tunes is just in time
Old 04-12-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Geez...if some of u vets are having issues with the setup, Im in for a **** time tommorow when I install my pacesetters and TSP Dual system...and I DO have a lowered car
Old 04-12-2005, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

for what it is worth my system was installed while the car was on a lift with the rear suspension hanging, it was hanging low enough that I could almost take the spring off the rear end perch and I still have good clearance.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Hey Joseph, sorry I didn't mean literally a million times, just stating that Lane says he's heard of clearance issues many times before with TSP duals.
BTW, your special on mail order tunes is just in time

I know!

If I could just install half of the systems sold you'd never find threads like these. Everyone I've installed them for were very happy with the fitment, so I guess I do something different then most of the installers.

I didn't have much to do with the design other than having the bullets point straight back for the most clearance.

Jason does all the mail order tunes, just get with him on your setup if you havn't already.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

I almost went with your setup but didn't, and quite frankly I'm glad I didn't seeing how nice and clean all those welds are from that $400 welder and not having to mess with the kit to get it to fit then having to mess with it some more to get it to tuck up right.

Jason
Old 04-13-2005, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
I almost went with your setup but didn't, and quite frankly I'm glad I didn't seeing how nice and clean all those welds are from that $400 welder and not having to mess with the kit to get it to fit then having to mess with it some more to get it to tuck up right.

Jason

Never said anything about the quality, I'm sure its great and probably tons better than I could weld (Glad I don't have to). I was making a point to support the website that he gets free business off of. Its not even expensive. My 5yo sons allowance would prob cover it for comparisons.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Did you see the thread I started (kinda long) regarding the sponsoring issue?

Jason

Quick Reply: those with TSP duals