Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage drops when hot out??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage drops when hot out??

I have a 2002 WS6 with a Turbo Tech kit. This past summer i ran into an issue. When it's hot out, if i sit in traffic, the battery voltage slowly but surely starts to drop. I've seen it drop as low as 10.8 volts. Considering that it normally hoovers around 13.6-14.0 volts, it made me concerned. When the voltage drops this low, the car doesn't like to idle smoothly. I replaced the alternator, but that didn't correct the problem. Since the alternator is moved to the top of the motor on the TTI kit, i was under the assumption that maybe it was becoming heat soaked, which was causing the voltage to drop at idle. When i start moving, the voltage goes back to around 13.0 volts. My car is really only driven on the weekends, so it sits all week without being started. Any ideas as to what may be causing this problem? My next step was to replace the battery (i still have the stock AC Delco) and trying a red top Optima.

Everyone's insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Bob n Jax Fl
Old 04-14-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are any of the ground wires or wires to the alternator going near the turbo or turbo piping? There may be enough heat to put more resistance in those wires, causing your problem. The alternator should be able to take the heat from the motor, but is it also relocated near any piping too? Good luck!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Well,
I decided to take the battery out of the equation. Now i have a brand new Optima redtop. So lets see... brand new alternator and battery. The passenger side manifold is stock and the wires aren't very close to it. Even with heat induced resistance, a 3 volt drop seems like quite a bit. I replaced the alternator thinking that the internal regulator was bad...but even now, i still have the problem. I'm going to try and clean off all of the leads to the alternator and battery.

Anyone else have any ideas? Even with all accessories off, on a hot day, the voltage just drops if i sit at idle for any period of time.

Thanks!
Bob
Old 04-18-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

If you believe the alternator is succumbing to heat soak, then try fabbing an aluminum heat shield. Grab some Al sheet at the local harware store and bend some up into a shield. Should only cost ~$15 or so.

Quick Reply: Voltage drops when hot out??