Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble with TSP Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having trouble with TSP Y-Pipe

Well I was busy installing my exhaust tonight, got the headers in and everything reattached, now im trying to install my TSP Catted Y-Pipe and im having some trouble with it. The passenger side goes on fine but the drivers side is a different story. I can't get the piece that slips over the header from touching the bottom of the car, and when the rest of driver's side is put on, the merge is tilted towards the ground. Anyone have any tricks to get this thing to fit on right?

Also, I already have a hooker cat-back on and it seems that I am going to have to cut a good 2-3 inches off the I-pipe to get it to fit, has anyone else had to do this?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most exhaust setup's require a little adjusting to fit right. Especially one's made to fit universal applications.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:45 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah you might want to move your catback back a little to get everything lined up and in good. I had some problems with the ory as well, it just took some wrestling. Eventually everything slips in. Also make sure that you have all the right pieces, I got two of the same pieces when I recieved mine.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:15 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

That first piece on the drivers side goes on first before anything else. Sometimes the angle of the header collector will make that piece point upwards a little, although I've gotten it to clear pretty well before. What I do is install it like normal, then put some kind of spacer in between the body and exhaust to hold it while you tighten it down, after the clamps are tight you can remove the spacer. Your merge shouldn't point down, but since everything is slip fit, it may be binding up on you when your trying to point it in the right direction. I preassemble everything other than the "L1" piece then install it all at the same time and make minor adjustments from there as its going on.

The last hooker catback I installed needed about an inch cut off the rear of the Y-pipe, although I think it was needed on both the TSP Y and Pacesetter Y pipe as well.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Well after fighting with it for awhile I finally got it all on but I'm still having problems with it. I have clearance everywhere but on the left side. The first piece connected to the header I have just enough room to side the U-band between the first and second pipe on the y. Also, above the driver’s side cat it is touching the plastic piece holding the two lines (brake lines?).

When I first step on the gas, and then again when the car shifts from first to second and to third from 1000-2500 RPMS I hear a grinding sound/feel from the front of the car, not underneath. If I floor it though or sitting at idle all seems fine. What should I do?

Also, I hear a faint rapid ticking sound when I am getting up to speed but not when I am at idle or revving the engine up.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ticking is probably your AIR check valves. Did you do the restrictor mod?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
The ticking is probably your AIR check valves. Did you do the restrictor mod?

No I didn't