Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunder vs Standard Dynomax bullet

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bullets are kinda deeper and *fartier* at low rpms and sounded exactly like an old truck that the muffler fell off of at wot. I got really tired of that.
The sweet thunders are equally loud, but have more of a pissed off rumble and has a very distinct sound when you gas it and very, very distinct growl when you downshift or let the engine rev down from high rpms.

a short 2.5" muffler at the end does not take a 3" exhaust down to the flowrate of a 2.5
The further back from the engine, the less effect constrictions on airflow have. A dented tip has no effect on performance while a dented header primary will. So a 3" system with a 18"X2.5" bottleneck at the very back will still flow close to a 3" all the way system.
However, there will always be naysayers who say "nay!"
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 custom aluminized Sweet Thunder mufflers headed to me today . They have 9" chambers and are 14" long overall. I am piecing together a temporary dual system with no X or H pipe. Just straight 3" pipe off the header collectors into the mufflers with Flowmaster turn downs right after the mufflers. I will rotate the turn downs so they point out under the sub frame connector tubes, about a 45° angle or so .
Old 06-08-2005, 01:27 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I have 2 custom aluminized Sweet Thunder mufflers headed to me today . They have 9" chambers and are 14" long overall. I am piecing together a temporary dual system with no X or H pipe. Just straight 3" pipe off the header collectors into the mufflers with Flowmaster turn downs right after the mufflers. I will rotate the turn downs so they point out under the sub frame connector tubes, about a 45° angle or so .
I did the exact same thing except with dynomax bullets. The sound was amazing. Probably the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard on a LS1. Only downside was the cabin noise, it was just as bad if not worse than running open headers.

http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...ach-header.avi
Thats the best sound clip I have of it, too bad I lost 3rd gear on that run
Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
I did the exact same thing except with dynomax bullets. The sound was amazing. Probably the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard on a LS1. Only downside was the cabin noise, it was just as bad if not worse than running open headers.

Cabin noise will not be a problem for me, I currently have stock manifolds, gutted cats, and no muffler, just a turndown by the pass. side rear tire. Cabin noise, reverb, drone.......yes I am experienced! If anything, I bet the Pacesetters and Sweet Thunder mufflers will have less cabin noise and reverb.
Bummer on loosing 3rd gear .
Old 06-08-2005, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance

I have the same set up. You are right it is just as loud as open headers, but sounds awesome.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

You'll love the sweet thunders ....I had mine attached directly to my LT's for a week while I was waiting on my 3" x pipe to arrive. They were alot quieter than open headers but sounded really, really nice!!!! Enjoy

Kj

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder vs Standard Dynomax bullet