Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly motor mounts driving me crazy..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Poly motor mounts driving me crazy..

Do these things every soften up a little? I have had them installed for awhile now without any issues. Just this week it seems like everything wants to start vibrating & making noises. My dash is doing it the worst, after I start my car it sounds like something inside the dash banging around. Is there a solution for this? Or do I just need to get over it?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My jet hots and hooker ory hit when I got them so only way I could get mine to stop hitting with out doing the poly motor mount because I knew it would rattle like a ****!
I took four thick washers from a truck drop hitch I had laying around and shimmed it between the trans cross member and the thickness of the washer made it drop twice as far as the tickness of the washers because the headers are mounted at the front and the angle makes it drop further!And also the driveshaft angles don't change because the tourqe arm mount drops with it ! Mabe ya can make some sense out of it!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S thats one sexy chick in ya picture!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably not the poly mounts stiffness that's causing problems. My car doesn't rattle one bit cause of them.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

I dont know what else would cause it. My whole car is shaking. I have the poly motor mounts along with the poly trans mount. I have a large cam also so that dont help the problem. They are woking you can tell, when you pop the hood while its idling. The motor is trying to shake but cant so the whole car shakes causing things to vibrate inside the car.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can u lube the motor mounts?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of mounts did you use? Prothane poly mounts are almost the equivalent of a solid mount. Energy Suspension poly mounts are softer and don't give much more if any vibration than stock rubber mounts, but are still as stiff as the Prothanes. This was my experience with tranny mounts at least.

Jason
Old 04-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

I hear most people complaining about the trans mount shaking the crap outta their car than the motor mounts. That may be your problem most guys I know only run the motors mounts and put in a brand new stock trans mount. Good Luck
Old 04-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Check the tranny mount I had a huge problem with mine vibrating the hell out of my car until I ground the bumps off of it. I have Profane Motor mount on the drivers side (was a POS to install didn't want to mess with the other side yet) and I don't notice any additional rattles on mine.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hving installed prothan mounts in several cars now including my own I know for a fact that they dont cause vibrations. You should put some grease on both sides of the mount before putting it in the clamshell. Not greasing it should not make for vibrations though, just squeaking maybe.

I cant comment on poly trans mount other than to say that I hear that cause hella vibrations. Most people including myself go straight to the trans mount to replace it for several reason icluding shifter handles jumping up and down and side to side under torque. Its not the trans mount doing it though. Its the sorry excuse for motor mounts from the factory.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

My poly trans mount was unbearable.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Ckeck for the source of the vibrations in areas other than the mounts, I have installed several sets without causing vibrations/ratteling.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the responses guys, Ill see what I can do with it this weekend.
Thanks,
Vann