Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suncoast Hood...what intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suncoast Hood...what intake?

anyone with the suncoast creations ws6 style ram air hood...what intake are you running, i need to know what makes better power...a lid (can you do this)...or the flat intake like this one

Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Fast toys ram air works better. U can get a better seal through to the lid. I have the raptor hood and thought about getting that thing but no one has really posted results with it. An aftermarket lid with FTRA has been proven for like a tenth or 2 and a mile an hour or 2 in the quarter. Thats the way i went. I just use the scoops for fresh air to cool the motor.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

The one you show above is the one they show in Ebay for the complete package deal but I would go another way with a lid and a K&N maybe even buy a WS6 airbox from the manufacturer it has a bigger intake gap. Just my opinion
Old 05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

the hood has a cut-out in it...and the box there sits inside it...i've heard the lid gives better gains..but i'm just not seeing how it is possible...the whole filter area is exposed to the front nostrils...how can a lid provide more power...i need to see some concrete evidence so i'll know if i should change it or not.

maybe when i go down to tampa again i can run a couple dyno pulls and see if dino will let me borrow a lid and do some back to back comparisons...i think i may need a few adjustments on my tune from jeremy so i might as well try the lid thing while i'm down there..
Old 05-03-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dyno comparisons wont tell you anything since the suncoast setup and a lid/ftra setup both function as speeds

i have the suncoast setup and it is pretty decent. its easy to make it seal too. just put some thick weatherstripping on the top of the airbox, id take pics but im too lazy
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the suncoast hood has the air run from the top down thru the air filter....the opposite of what the factory does, so you have to use their airbox to get the best performance...which means no lid.
if you have a hood that runs the air from bottom up through the airfilter then back into the maf then you can use an aftermarket lid.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Stock I ran 13.7.. With adding just Headers, ORY pipe and the Suncoast set up (hood and air assembly) I dropped down to a 13 flat.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

I run the raptor and their intake and like ti as well. dynoed 389 (without a ls6 intake and throught a ford 9".) no problems here and looks different from most out there
Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok see that is what i thought...thing is someone was trying to tell me that his friend dropped a pretty hefty amount of time (can't remember) in the 1/4 mile by using a lid with this hood and i was very skeptical...i just wanted to put it to rest...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

here are his quotes

777. Sweet looking car man my advice change your lid to lower box with TSP air box, my friend was had same your lid after he change it to lower box the car get very well also more 7 rwhp

Any sound clip or vids??
I know about that. my friend have same your hood from underside but he change it to lower box believe me the lower box much better than your box. if you want to make sure i have pics.
he said he was going to send me pics but he never did
Old 05-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Launching!

is the airbox the same for a camaro with their hood? reason im asking is i need to buy a new air filter and i dont know what part number i need
Old 05-04-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

the filter part # will be the same for camaro and firebird..(v8)
Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Raptor hood here, with the functional ram air box, and HEAVY weatherstripping on the underside of the hood to mate to the airbox for a seal. I worry about the factory "according" bellows being so scrunched up that they aren't flowing that well, but the filter area is much larger on this setup as opposed to a lid, and you're getting air from much higher up off the pavement, so it's cooler air (thats why I call my setup a cold air setup instead of a ram air setup), so I cant see it hurting you TOO much over a lid setup. Plenty of people have went fast with both, so go with whatever you want. I personally like this setup becaues it's different and not many people have it.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

mine doesn't have a seal...maybe i should seal it off.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think that the more filter exposed theory works. There is/was a regular lid on the market that used a bigger lid and filter and people lost in e/t and hp. So i dont think that the amount of air filter exposed necessarily helps. I would really look into Fast toys ram air and a regular aftermarket lid. It seams to have a better seal and a more direct/even/unobstructed way for the air to flow. The rain baffle in the hood behind the scoops has to slow the ram air effect quite a bit. Look at it from an air flow/drafting aspect and the way the air has to flow for the ram air effect. Going through the scoops the air has to travel past the rain baffle, then make a 90 degree turn. With the Fast toys ram air its pretty much a straight shot with few bend to obstruct the flow. In theory the Fast toys ram air set up should work better.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Launching!

does anyone know the part number for the filter off hand?