Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headers and emissions

amongst the top of my list of mods to do on my newly aquired 01 Firehawk is long tube headers. my question is: do headers negativley affect emissions? the car is stock except for the SLP Firehawk mods (3" intermediate pipe, power flow muffler). I'd especially be interested in hearing from people that live in MA. I want to start modifying this car, but its gotta pass emissions!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Supposedly, no LT will pass emissions. However, I think someone here passed with Mac mids and catted Y. I am kind of uneducated in this department but I thought I'd pass on what I have read about this.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on your state. Appearently, it is against federal law to move the catalytic converters, which would apply to all LTs and be in effect in all states. However, it depends on where you take your car to get tested because some places don't even look at the car (visual inspection) and some do. Supposedly a good tune will pass you anywhere, but LTs will not negatively affect emissions, but any codes that are thrown may. Hope this helps. Just check out how your state tests and try to ask around about where to actually go for your smog test. Good luck.

Just be glad you don't live in California with the SMOG *****.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Well MA is almost as bad as CA anymore, it's been a few years since I lived there (MA) but if they do a visual, you probably won't pass, if it's just the OBD2 plug in (and you have no codes and a good tune) you'll pass. Good luck
Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

You have to find out what kind of test you have. I could (and have) passed OBDII plug in, but would horribly fail a visual inspection. God knows what would happen if they tried to hook my car up to the sniffer. They wouldn't be able to find the pipe because of hte under car dumps combined with the fact that their eyes would be stinging from the fumes in the partially enclosed facility.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Found this in the Eastern section, MA emissions test requirements
http://vehicletest.state.ma.us/generalinfo.html
Looks like an OBD2 test, so if you have no codes, and the ECM shows ready, you should pass
Old 05-12-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

MA actually complies with CA standards now. for those that dont know, when you car is older than xx years (i think 5), you get your emissions tested on a dyno, where they test you while at highway speed, rather than just the sniffer at idle. for my first inspection sticker for the car, they just did the ODBII test cuz i'm under the age before it goes on the dyno.

the place i go to doesnt do a visual check, so i just need to be concerned about passing the ODBII and sniffer
Old 05-12-2005, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
MA actually complies with CA standards now. for those that dont know, when you car is older than xx years (i think 5), you get your emissions tested on a dyno, where they test you while at highway speed, rather than just the sniffer at idle. for my first inspection sticker for the car, they just did the ODBII test cuz i'm under the age before it goes on the dyno.

the place i go to doesnt do a visual check, so i just need to be concerned about passing the ODBII and sniffer
You can pass the sniffer with high flow cats and a mild cam even. Needs to be tuned well though.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine just passed again with the mods in the sig. Last year they didn't look at anything just plugged into the computer and tested the gas cap. This year they raised the hood and looked but didn't notice or didn't care about the missing EGR. I have the cats on the FLP's but they never looked. The cam is small at 221. I heard of the 224's passing in CA.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Good info for me. I'm in Mass too.

I think it is the fifth year that they put the car on the dyno. However, I was surprised when last year my 96 Cobra just got the OBD and the usual lights, horn, tires, etc. I don't know. But the guy said it would go on the dyno next time.

My past experience was failing the old style sniffer in a stock 5.0 Mustang without cats. The same car passed with a Mac high flow cat pipe fwiw.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Mat
Launching!

I'm wondering about this exact same thing up here in Canada. We've got strict emissions requirements as well and they are even pulling cars like ours over on the side of the roads and then throwing them on a mobile e-test dyno setup they parade around. If you fail roadside they pull your plates until you can make it pass...

Thus, it's pretty important.. I've got Pacesetter LT's with the TSP Catted Y and I'm going to take the car to a local e-test shop to see what results it gets. I'm not due for another official e-test for 2 years from now, but I want to see if I'd clear a roadside the way it sits now or not.

The car has not been tuned yet, but I've got HPTuners and I've been playing with some of the non-wideband requiring stuff.. I'll try it without a tune first.. smells like it's doing the proverbial running rich thing right now though.. if it fails, I'll flash a tune and try try again!

Quick Reply: Headers and emissions