Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusting Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Headers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rusting Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Headers.

I purchased my Ceramic coated Pacesetter Race Headers about 7 months ago (Mid October). One month and a few weeks after purchasing and installing them I put my car away for the winter months before there was any snow (Beginning of December). I took the car out at the end of April for the first time and the ticking noise I previously had coming from my driver's side was louder than I remembered it. So in the process of re-tourquing all bolts and clamps I noticed that my driver's side header is all rusted up. I e-mailed Pacesetter about my problem and they told me that they do not cover rust because some cars in certain areas are more prone to getting it. My comment is that I paid the extra amount to get these ceramic coated for this reason, and if they are going to be rusted would have just gotten the black ones, they should not be as rusted as that one is after 7 months with only 2-3 months of use. And, why is my driver's side the one that is rusted and the side that ticks, coincidence, idk, but there is hardly any rust at all on my passenger side header and I have checked and double checked for leaks and find none. Sorry for the long explanation, Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this, I am very upset with the customer service of Pacesetter, and their unwillingness to help me out, expecially after refering three of my friends to buy their product. Thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

rust is simply a fact of life with headers. it sucks that it happens but its just nature at work. that's why so many people buy stainless steel headers. sure you saved a bunch of money on yours but those with ss only have to buy them once. i'm about to install my ceramic coated pacesetters so i'm sure i'll be in your shoes in a few months.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Headers rust, even if they are coated. If you dont want to deal with it, buy stainless.

FWIW, I just bought some Pacesetter coated headers also. SS headers are just too expensive for cosmetics of the exhaust IMO.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my coating for my Pacesetters from performancecoatings.com. They still look new, even after 15 months of ownership... I have the satin thermal coating ($240 per pair of headers), but they also have Chromex which looks like highly polished aluminum ($275 per pair). 3 year warranty against rust and corrosion...

A little more expensive to buy the uncoated Pacesetters and then get the coating from this place, but well worth it seeing as my headers aren't rusty.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are headers. They live in a very harsh environment. If you want a show finish, get your headers chromed and then park the car and never drive it. If you just want to avoid rust, buy stainless. I just do not understand the "pretty exhaust" thing. If my coated Pacesetters have surface rust, big ******* deal, I might wipe it off. I doubt they will rust all the way through any time soon.
For the ultimate show and no rust, buy stainless and then have them ceramic coated. That might work, I do not know if the coating itself will rust.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

I was cheap to and bought PC. My driver side I noticed this weekend is pealing towards the bottom. Now that I have a full time job I wish I would have bought SS, probably will by late summer. So for others, if at all possible I would buy SS if I could do things over again. Somehow save up for them.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to the club. Depending on how bad the rust is on , you might be able to get rid of most surface rust with Blue Magic metal polish.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Jet-Hot headers started rusting pretty quickly here in the rust belt. Those that have coated mild steel headers that aren't rusted, just give it enough time/rain/salt. Though some will last longer than others, of course.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Remember you get what you pay for. I would always go with a high quality stainless steel header and on top of that a good ceramic coating. Sure its more expensive but you will be happier in the long run. I've had my SLP's for over 3 years now and i'm not joking when I say the look brand new from top to bottom. Daily driven to. As for that ticking on the drivers side.. could be some bent pushrods, bad lifter.. or your usual valvetrain nosie that you here alot more with headers. In my case I had some bent pushrods. I replaced them all and no ticking since.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FASTZ28
I purchased my Ceramic coated Pacesetter Race Headers about 7 months ago (Mid October). One month and a few weeks after purchasing and installing them I put my car away for the winter months before there was any snow (Beginning of December). I took the car out at the end of April for the first time and the ticking noise I previously had coming from my driver's side was louder than I remembered it. So in the process of re-tourquing all bolts and clamps I noticed that my driver's side header is all rusted up. I e-mailed Pacesetter about my problem and they told me that they do not cover rust because some cars in certain areas are more prone to getting it. My comment is that I paid the extra amount to get these ceramic coated for this reason, and if they are going to be rusted would have just gotten the black ones, they should not be as rusted as that one is after 7 months with only 2-3 months of use. And, why is my driver's side the one that is rusted and the side that ticks, coincidence, idk, but there is hardly any rust at all on my passenger side header and I have checked and double checked for leaks and find none. Sorry for the long explanation, Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this, I am very upset with the customer service of Pacesetter, and their unwillingness to help me out, expecially after refering three of my friends to buy their product. Thanks

Mine are still perfect, 'bout a year on them. Car has never seen anything other than perfect weather though. Maybe you had a bad coat on yours, try metal polish if the rust is light, and just popping through the surface.

Quick Reply: Rusting Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Headers.