Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetters vs. Kooks

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pacesetters vs. Kooks

Trying to decide between the two......From what it seems, the only difference between the two are materials and construction, while the HP gains are pretty similar (unless someone has dyno graphs to prove otherwise). My car is ONLY driven in good weather conditions, no snow or rain, so I'm not concerned with those elements "ruining" the headers. What then, would be my reason to spend an additional $500 on Kooks?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimpium57
Trying to decide between the two......From what it seems, the only difference between the two are materials and construction, while the HP gains are pretty similar (unless someone has dyno graphs to prove otherwise). My car is ONLY driven in good weather conditions, no snow or rain, so I'm not concerned with those elements "ruining" the headers. What then, would be my reason to spend an additional $500 on Kooks?
I have had the pacesetters for 2 years and I am happy with them their y-pipe is junk though
Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do your headers looks now? Has any of the coating peeled/rusted off?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a big price difference........Kooks are stainless steel and there proly isn't a better quality header out there. However, I have Pacesetters and they are great quality and even better price. I couldn't afford the Kooks, not sure if I would have got them even if I could afford them. My power gain was very noticeable and a trip to the track backed that up.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car never even sees rain ceramic coated mild steel should last longer than needed. You will end up with some rust on them though. If nothing else, water condenses on components of the A/C system and drips down onto the passenger side header, around the collector area.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pimpium57
How do your headers looks now? Has any of the coating peeled/rusted off?

They do have some spots of rust, but I also live at the beach. I don't think anything will last forever in this environment. But for the money when they rust through I can buy another set and it would still be cheaper than stainless headers.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Im another vote for pacesetter for the price and quality. Can't beat it.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Buy Kooks and you'll never have to (or want to) buy another set again. Pacesetter quality is terrible (sloppy welds, emission flanges not centered, etc.). You are comparing the worst and the best here. If you don't have money for Kooks, wait.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't go so far as Jason to say Pacesetters are the worst, there are much worse out there. Pace's are good for the money. On that note....I run Kooks and always will. Never have to worry about rust and will never have to swap them out again til I want to go bigger.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:25 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

QTP High Velocity Merge Collector Long Tubes are hands down, the best LT's out there. Dyno proven gains with the merge collector.

Kooks rank up there also.

Pacesetters are a good bargain header. I would not, however, mention them in the same sentence as KOOKS or QTP's in a comparo, as there is no comparo. Two different leagues of material and quality.

If you're on a budget, get the Pacesetters. If you have cash, get the QTP's or KOOKs.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
QTP High Velocity Merge Collector Long Tubes are hands down, the best LT's out there. Dyno proven gains with the merge collector.

Kooks rank up there also.

Pacesetters are a good bargain header. I would not, however, mention them in the same sentence as KOOKS or QTP's in a comparo, as there is no comparo. Two different leagues of material and quality.

If you're on a budget, get the Pacesetters. If you have cash, get the QTP's or KOOKs.
this took the words right out of my mouth and whats that old saying you get what you paid for.....