Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strange problem

I activated my alarm yesterday..and the horn sounded very different. well i get in my car today...turn the key..it fires right up..then starts to stumble..so i rev it to keep it from dieing for a few secodns..and it doesn't change...so i left off the gas and it idles to like 100rpms for a second or 2 then dies.so then i turn the key again and it fires right up and acts normal..but I smell gass coming from the exhaust..but no smoke or anything...so I drive to the store..get out of the car...activate the alarm..and it still sounds very weird.i come out from the store..and it starts right up perfectly.

any ideas? I'm thinking that it was maybe flooded? but is that even possible? maybe my plugs/wires are going bad? its a 01 camaro ss, m6 with 58k

oh and the last tiem I drove it..which was saturday..the alarm sounded normal..it was raining really hard, but i don't have any intake mods..and I was driving normal..not getting on it at all...sorry for the long post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

battery / alternator ?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
battery / alternator ?

Take your battery and put a good charge on it and have it load tested, if it tests good than you have a problem in you charging system.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

but would that be the case if the car started right up after and ran normal?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your alternater is going out the battery might of had enuff juce to start the car and then alternater cut out and all the electronics drained the battery.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conan
If your alternater is going out the battery might of had enuff juce to start the car and then alternater cut out and all the electronics drained the battery.
i've had my alternator die on me in another car..and it went to the point where my car just shut off...shouldn't that happen with this car too? i was keeping an eye on the idoit gauge..and the volts were fine..but then again..it is just an idiot gauge.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in my experience the more modern cars are more sensitive to voltage variations (especially lower than normal), must be all the electronic stuff. They can run, but if the voltage is lower than normal it acts weird, stumbles, doesn't idle right, etc.
As for the gage reading normal, these gages aren't known for their great accuracy, so it's possible the alt or battery is going bad, and the gage reads normal
Old 05-16-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
i've had my alternator die on me in another car..and it went to the point where my car just shut off...shouldn't that happen with this car too? i was keeping an eye on the idoit gauge..and the volts were fine..but then again..it is just an idiot gauge.
\
Before I bought my camaro I had a 88 300zx digital gages and electronic everything. One night all the lights dimmed and the dash went dead with in a 1/4 mile the car died. It sucked every last bit out of my battery in about 10 sec. When everythings eletronic it doesnt take long
Old 05-19-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay..so its been a bit since this has happened..horn stil sounds weird...but nothing else has happened..and i've probably put another 300-400 miles on it..any ideas? or should I not even worry about it?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

So the car is idling fine now.. just a strange sounding horn issue?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the positive cable that runs to the fuse box in the engine bay, and check that it is tight.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old SS had the weird horn issue. Supposedly there are two horns and one of them had gone out. I took it to the dealership and they fixed it under warranty. Just as idea.