Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust setup...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust setup...

As of now I have a Loudmouth with stock manifolds and a lid.
In about a week or so I will have Pacesetter longtubes, ORY and am contemplating on going with a stock Z28 cat back. Reason for the stock cat back is because I commute to school everyday and do not need it to be loud. I am thinking I will go with a cutout right after the Y-pipe to get the extra ponies out of the longtubes and ORY.

Would this work well?-
Again...
Pacesetter LT's
ORY
Stock Z28 cat back
Cutout right after the Y-pipe

Let me know guys.
Jon
Old 05-16-2005, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will work.
Personally I wouldnt' recommend it. There are good cat-backs that should not be too loud, even without cats. Have you ever heard the SLP dual/dual, hooker or magnaflow? They aren't very loud, especially if you don't want them to be, yet sound good. (better than a cutout) If I was going to build a true daily driver that was not obnoxious in any way to anybody I would go with one of those cat-backs and no cats. (i hate cats, lol)
Old 05-16-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I was looking at Hooker also but... LOL I don't know.

Jon

All I know is that I do not want my loudmouth hooked up to the longtubes!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAUS1
Well I was looking at Hooker also but... LOL I don't know.

Jon

All I know is that I do not want my loudmouth hooked up to the longtubes!
I ran the loudmouth for 18 months but got duals with my headers. You running the loudmouth now? You could get headers with ORY and one of the three cat-backs I listed and it will be quieter than stock plus loudmouth. Hell, my LT's to dumped duals with bullet mufflers was hardly louder (if at all) than when I had only the loudmouth. Sounded much better though.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to go with one of the Hooker Aero chamber mufflers off of summit. Don't really want to spend an extra 300 on a cat back when it could go towards a converter!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

I was going to go with one of the Hooker Aero chamber mufflers off of summit. Don't really want to spend an extra 300 on a cat back when it could go towards a converter!
That's not a bad idea, a better flowing muffler will really help the otherwise stock cat-back flow a lot better. That being said, I'd still get a cat-back. You can get hooker for $280-$310 or so. If you are like many of us you will end up pushing more power down the road and it sucks to have to go back and spend money on upgrading your upgrade. I've already seen people say that replacing the entire cat-back deepens the exhaust note because of the larger diameter pipe.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
That's not a bad idea, a better flowing muffler will really help the otherwise stock cat-back flow a lot better. That being said, I'd still get a cat-back. You can get hooker for $280-$310 or so. If you are like many of us you will end up pushing more power down the road and it sucks to have to go back and spend money on upgrading your upgrade. I've already seen people say that replacing the entire cat-back deepens the exhaust note because of the larger diameter pipe.
Yea I am really kicking myself in the *** for going with Loudmouth. I got it because I never planned on getting headers but since I am getting these for free, I guess I have to "upgrade" my upgraded cat back
Thanks blkz28spt for all your help...

Anymore suggestions?

Jon
Old 05-16-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and the only problem with goign with a universal Aero Hooker, is that it will only muffel the drivers side exhaust since those mufflers are a one exit one entrance muffler. It is not the like the actual Hooker catback...
Old 05-16-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless I just have one pipe out the left and delete the other side of the exhaust... Kinda copy the 2OTL by SLP but customize it as Haus1's 1OTL, LOL
Old 05-16-2005, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

I'd just get a hooker cat-back. Maybe see if there is a reputable seller with a used cat-back that meets your needs.
I was able to sell my loudmouth for $200 a couple years ago.

In case you don't realize, hooker flows VERY well. You might lose 1 rwhp vs a cutout right now. Heads/cam cars lose <5rwhp vs a cutout.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea the Z28 cat back may not even be available so I may fab up something with a Hooker muffler or just go nuts and get the actual catback... Thanks alot!
Jon
Old 05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

just weld a xr-1 bullet muffler on the loudmouth where the resonator is, thus creating a borlamouth...in a sense
Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hennytime
just weld a xr-1 bullet muffler on the loudmouth where the resonator is, thus creating a borlamouth...in a sense
That is a possibility. I guess it depends on how quiet he wants it. Even subbing a bullet muffler in for the resonator won't quiet it down a whole lot.

I recommend you search around on that too. Some people fit more than one bullet into their system.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is a possibility. I guess it depends on how quiet he wants it. Even subbing a bullet muffler in for the resonator won't quiet it down a whole lot.

I recommend you search around on that too. Some people fit more than one bullet into their system.
Yea I was going to go with the resonator idea but I do not think it will be quiet enough.
I think I may fab up a replica SLP 2OTL look. My buddy has it and I like the way it looks, but we will see.

Thanks guys for all of your help!

Jon
Old 05-16-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spiral type mufflers (flo-pro twister or moroso or whoever else makes em) are roughly the same size, a bit quieter and have a cool sound.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy has his 02 Z with Kooks LT's, Kooks catted Y and his loudmouth. Will my LT's with a ORY and a XR-1 into a loudmouth be close to my buddies 02?
Jon
Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

My buddy has his 02 Z with Kooks LT's, Kooks catted Y and his loudmouth. Will my LT's with a ORY and a XR-1 into a loudmouth be close to my buddies 02?
Jon
My bet is that they will be close, with his sounding slightly better and yours being a little louder.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My bet is that they will be close, with his sounding slightly better and yours being a little louder.
Not louder! You are supposed to tel me what I want to hear, LOL. Yea I was thinking they should be close...2 highflow cats= 1 XR-1 resonator. I am hoping this is correct!
thanks, anyone else that may know... JRP where you at, I need your advice!