Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mac Ypipe install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac Ypipe install?

I have stock headers and I am about to install a Mac Y-pipe to elimiate the Cats...BUT when i lined everything up the front of the Y-pipe only made it to the back/bottom of the CAT??

At the TOP of the Cat/ bottom of the headers there is a TRIANGLE mount plate...with 3bolts going from the cat the the headers... How would i make this work? Does anybody make an extension that would replace the CAT with a straight through tube that would mount inbetween the top of the Ypipe to the bottom of the header where the triangle mounting plate is? I'm sorry some pictures would probably help but I know there are some people out there who know exactly what I am taking about....
Old 05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think MAC y-pipe will fit the stock headers.... from what I saw, they kinnda differ in lenght.

I would get SLP Y-pipe. You can get it slightly used for about $100. That will fit stock headers and cats....
Old 05-31-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Ummmmmmmmmmmm just get the headers? Or take it to a good exhaust guy and he should be able to fabricate something. But I think between the time/money/pain to remove it in the future, you're just better off getting headers now. Here's a pic of the Mac's with the Mac ORY if it helps you out...........
Old 05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

there is no way that can be right in your pic..There just isn't enough down angle where the headers meet the Y. In other words How is the Y clearing the floorboard without something coming off the Headers and going down?
Old 05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is nothing wrong with this picture. Look at the manifolds. They "sit" on the floor at declined angle, hence the merge collectors look like they are pefrectly straight.
If you actualy had the manifolds leveled, you'd have the pipe going downwards...
Old 05-31-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

im sure your right it just doesn't look like there would be enough room...I guess i'll just re-think this whole thing..
Old 05-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Launching!

the ypipe is on backwards. the flat plate goes on the passenger side.
There is plenty of room I installed mine about 3 weeks ago. The tips of the y-pipe have a slight angle towards the top where it meets the headers
Old 06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, sorry about that.........I just figured you would figure that out. There is no way to line them up sitting on the ground because of the angles. SSBRONCS is right. Don't worry, I installed them correctly on my car! I just set them up like that for the pic when I got them.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

MAC makes two y-pipes, one that fits stock headers, and one that fits there mid-length style header, I think you might have gotten the wrong one.