Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you reccomend
X pipe
80.97%
H pipe
19.03%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

True Dual owners, X or H

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an X-pipe with Sweet Thunders. I'm happy
Old 10-12-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

X-pipe with Dynomax mufflers & Hooker resonators here.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

im pretty sure the whole reason behind an x pipe is to create a "vacuum" effect. correct me if im wrong. Try holdin a hair dryer up to one intlet , the other intlet will be sucking air in. Im runnin 3inch duals, x pipe, 12 bullets, at WOT sounds like the world is coming to an end.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

THe last time i checked theres a reason that supra's aren't the best drag racing cars! What i mean by this is i think the gain across the board up to 5k+ will help you out more than the few extra ponies up top. THe dyno chart of that was provided earlier is evidence of the power through the curve just not on top. X pipes have more rasp and H pipes make it sound more like its cammed even if its not.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:48 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobryk20
THe last time i checked theres a reason that supra's aren't the best drag racing cars! What i mean by this is i think the gain across the board up to 5k+ will help you out more than the few extra ponies up top. THe dyno chart of that was provided earlier is evidence of the power through the curve just not on top. X pipes have more rasp and H pipes make it sound more like its cammed even if its not.
Drag races are won with peak power, last I checked.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an X pipe, and i'm saying if I had the option to redo my system. It'd have an Hpipe. Hpipes will make more power throughout the band. Where as X's are great peak setups. Also, H's will not drone, like X's will (I can verify the X drone). Basically, if your into the dyno #'s ... go w/ an X. Otherwise an H is probly better for you.

X - deeper sound, throatier ....
H - Classic Muscle Car sound ... Not quite as deep a sound tho.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

90% of you guys will make little use of peak power, if the dyno graph posted earlier is correct then I would say the H pipe is the way to go. Just like cylender heads, why concentrate on making peak lift flow numbers when the valve spends the least amount of time at its peak lift? you have to look at the whole picture, not just peak numbers.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

X-pipes will flow much better...........
Old 11-13-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is the funniest I have seen since Ive been on here. A dyno proven chart showing more power using an h pipe across the board except at the last rpm interval and still I see replies like " x makes more power".

I believe an x to be a more complex y pipe. They bottleneck through the middle of the x which seems more restrictive than an H pipe. The only benefit I see is that each pipe will make a vacum on the other pipe which will help to scavenge the exhaust rather than pushing the exhaust. A y pipe will do the same thing.

One more thing to think about is the fact that you can tuck an H pipe a little higher than the x. The x can only be positioned so high because of the torque arm. The torque arm gets higher as it goes toward the tranny. You can only put the x so far forward due to the fact that you have to leave room for the inlets to clear the crossmember. With an H pipe you can put the crossover pipe alot closer to the crossmember since it will be running parallel to it.

Just food for thought.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by natronathon
just to update you all, i now have the setup listed in my sig installed, and it sounds very low and old school muscular, and when its at WOT i almost feel like the car is gonna rip in half cause it sounds so powerful! I love it and I would say that the Dr. Gas sounds far more throaty than any other exhaust setup ive heard for these cars. Also, the sound is very dependent on the mufflers. Bullets will offer more rasp, so go with a spiral flow or flo-pro twister
The cars i've heard with headers, X-pipes and bullets didn't have rasp...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Launching!

I don't have an x or h pipe and i think my car sounds wicked. there isn't really any noticeable drone anywhere and it sounds badass. i also have the exhaust dumped under the car, that might contribute to why it sounds good, everything echoes... It is a little loud though..
Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X pipe FTW

And, I'll take area under the curve over peak numbers.
If you want to race on the dyno, go with those peak numbers.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Drag races are won with peak power, last I checked.
no way dood. the LS6 makes 5 more peak hp than the LS2 but that LS2, under the exact same conditions, will win every time. why? it makes far more power across the board. it's all about your power curve, what good is a high peak power if it's low everywhere else?

i don't know if i'll go true duals or not in the future, but if i do, i'd likely go H pipe. these LS1's seem to lack that low-end punch and don't pull til up top. i'd like the low end punch and the deeper sound. pair it with some single chamber flows and in my mind, i predict it would sound like a winner.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

i'm running a custom h-pipe with mine, i love it...i'd actually like an x-pipe for the flow though
Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the sound of my X.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

I vote niether! Dump it about 3 foot off your collectors wit ha muffler and a turndown! Its loud but it sounds insane at WOT!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

im sure that lot more people have x pipes too for the simple fact that tsp and basani and pry a few other companies sell X pipe kits as aposed to H pipes
Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
im sure that lot more people have x pipes too for the simple fact that tsp and basani and pry a few other companies sell X pipe kits as aposed to H pipes
basically. no one offers H-pipe kits for our cars so no one thinks to use them. according to that dyno graph, H-pipes actually make more average power! everyone always says X! i'm totally blown away. i'm VERY curious to hear what they sound like. i may be different and go for my own sound next year when i get money. headers into a cutom H pipe w/cats and flowmaster single chambers ran out the back to my SLP dual/dual tips would sound wicked i bet
Old 07-26-2006, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

custum mandrel bent 3'' x pipe no cats with bullets under the axle out the back. I also have lt's pacesetters...i love it, last nite i raced a c6 and when i got done with him ; ) he simply replied ya....your car sounded alot meaner then mine i figured you would win hahaha if only it were that easy all the time TD's forever baby its the only way to go i went 12.7 @113 spinning through 2nd and into 3rd with a lid, Lt's, and td's.....that was it stock down to the eagle f1's from the factory
Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Full-Force
This thread is the funniest I have seen since Ive been on here. A dyno proven chart showing more power using an h pipe across the board except at the last rpm interval and still I see replies like " x makes more power".

I believe an x to be a more complex y pipe. They bottleneck through the middle of the x which seems more restrictive than an H pipe. The only benefit I see is that each pipe will make a vacum on the other pipe which will help to scavenge the exhaust rather than pushing the exhaust. A y pipe will do the same thing.

One more thing to think about is the fact that you can tuck an H pipe a little higher than the x. The x can only be positioned so high because of the torque arm. The torque arm gets higher as it goes toward the tranny. You can only put the x so far forward due to the fact that you have to leave room for the inlets to clear the crossmember. With an H pipe you can put the crossover pipe alot closer to the crossmember since it will be running parallel to it.

Just food for thought.
i'm going with this guy. after seeing the graph, i'm voting h-pipe. i don't understand why anyone is saying X-pipes make more power across the board. it's just rumor. there's actually proof in this thread against it.

Quick Reply: True Dual owners, X or H