Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you reccomend
X pipe
80.97%
H pipe
19.03%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

True Dual owners, X or H

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i'm going with this guy. after seeing the graph, i'm voting h-pipe. i don't understand why anyone is saying X-pipes make more power across the board. it's just rumor. there's actually proof in this thread against it.
Remember, you're only looking at ONE dyno graph.
X-pipes ARE the way to go.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

i'm going with this guy. after seeing the graph, i'm voting h-pipe. i don't understand why anyone is saying X-pipes make more power across the board. it's just rumor. there's actually proof in this thread against it.

And it's from a Mustang at that.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im planning out my TD system, on a stock motor do yall suggest 2.5 in duals or 3. I know 3 is deeper and thats what im looking for, but will that be to much on a stock motor?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nando2986
Im planning out my TD system, on a stock motor do yall suggest 2.5 in duals or 3. I know 3 is deeper and thats what im looking for, but will that be to much on a stock motor?
I'm on a stock motor and I have 3"
Also, if you ever plan on modding the car, you'll already have the foundation.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01_ram-air
I'm on a stock motor and I have 3"
Also, if you ever plan on modding the car, you'll already have the foundation.
Yeah i thought about that to cause im goin to 383 in the future to so ill go with the the 3 inch.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember, you're only looking at ONE dyno graph.
X-pipes ARE the way to go.
you simply cannot say X-pipes are the way to go. that's heresay. what we have here is a dyno graph showing H-pipes are better than X-pipes on mustangs. we have zero graphs showing X-pipes are better than H-pipes on anything. somebody post some graphs showing a true dual switch on an LS1 motor going from an H-pipe to an X-pipe and gaining overall. until that is posted, +1 for H-pipes making more power (and i do not mean peak power, peak power is worthless. i mean total average horsepower gained throughout the curve).

people with f-bodies go X-pipes because that is what most people go with, and most people go with X-pipes because aftermarket true duals systems happen to use X-pipes. if TSP and bassani used H-pipes, i can guarantee you most people on this site would have H-pipe TD's and be saying H-pipes make more power. people assume. i want to see some dyno graphs proving otherwise. i'm tired of people posting "X-pipes make more power" without ever seeing proof.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok here is my input. I just recently got my car done with true duals. I went with this set up.

ALL CUSTOM : No LTs ( ) so 3" piping off the STOCK manifolds into a 3" by 14" Magnaflow O/R X pipe, into 3" piping UNDER the axel into 2 2.5" Magnaflow Magnapacks with my GMMG tips attached. (SOUND CLIP BELOW)

X = Exotic, Racy type sound

H = Muscle Car, Bassy sound

i had a 1997 Mustang GT with both on there. started off the with a Bassani O/R X Pipe. hated it so i went with an BBK O/R H Pipe. Loved it.

X pipe will out flow an H.. Reason are b/c the x scavenges better and has higher exhasut velocity.. What does that mean? it lets the exhaust flow much more efficient and faster. the faster you ge the exhaust out, the more HP you will make.

Now i feel a little low end TQ loss, but at 3k - 6K RPMs car pulls like a rapped ape.

To me i think that the car is a little quiet. So does anyone have a sound clip with an x pipe with 18 bullits.. Spintech, Dynomax, Sweet thunder or Moroso??

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 07-26-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

you simply cannot say X-pipes are the way to go. that's heresay. what we have here is a dyno graph showing H-pipes are better than X-pipes on mustangs. we have zero graphs showing X-pipes are better than H-pipes on anything. somebody post some graphs showing a true dual switch on an LS1 motor going from an H-pipe to an X-pipe and gaining overall. until that is posted, +1 for H-pipes making more power (and i do not mean peak power, peak power is worthless. i mean total average horsepower gained throughout the curve).

people with f-bodies go X-pipes because that is what most people go with, and most people go with X-pipes because aftermarket true duals systems happen to use X-pipes. if TSP and bassani used H-pipes, i can guarantee you most people on this site would have H-pipe TD's and be saying H-pipes make more power. people assume. i want to see some dyno graphs proving otherwise. i'm tired of people posting "X-pipes make more power" without ever seeing proof.

"The common H-style crossover is good at balancing sound pulses between the two halves, but does little to promote scavenging because the exhaust gases tend to follow the path of least resistance, which is straight through each pipe rather than taking the 90-degree turn through the H-pipe into the other half of the system. In an X-pipe system, however, where the two sides of the system intersect, the gasses have no choice but to intermingle as they pass through the junction. This promotes improved scavenging effects by smoothing out uneven exhaust pulses from the engine’s firing order. It also helps quiet down the exhaust, resulting in a mellower, less raspy tone. According to Magnaflow, the faster acceleration of the gasses through an X-pipe causes them to flow in a linear fashion parallel to the walls of the tubing rather than tumbling. This “laminar” flowing gas is much quieter than tumbling gas, resulting in an exhaust tone up to 8 decibels quieter than a traditional H-pipe."
Taken from an article where tests were done by Magnaflow.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Still sounds like rice...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Tech Resident

"The common H-style crossover is good at balancing sound pulses between the two halves, but does little to promote scavenging because the exhaust gases tend to follow the path of least resistance, which is straight through each pipe rather than taking the 90-degree turn through the H-pipe into the other half of the system. In an X-pipe system, however, where the two sides of the system intersect, the gasses have no choice but to intermingle as they pass through the junction. This promotes improved scavenging effects by smoothing out uneven exhaust pulses from the engine’s firing order. It also helps quiet down the exhaust, resulting in a mellower, less raspy tone. According to Magnaflow, the faster acceleration of the gasses through an X-pipe causes them to flow in a linear fashion parallel to the walls of the tubing rather than tumbling. This “laminar” flowing gas is much quieter than tumbling gas, resulting in an exhaust tone up to 8 decibels quieter than a traditional H-pipe."
Taken from an article where tests were done by Magnaflow.
notice how magnaflow is trying to sell you an expensive X-pipe kit, also. i always take manufacturer testimony with a grain of salt. post me a dyno graph and i will agree. i'm sorry, heresay doesn't hold up in court so it doesn't hold up in my mind. i'm not arguing theory. i'm just saying sometimes theory is proved wrong in the real world. or maybe some cars perform better with H-pipes and some better with X-pipes. an H-pipe may better a mustang but not an LS1 car. i just wanna see some dyno charts for f-bodies.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

some cars perform better with H-pipes and some better with X-pipes.
Bingo
Old 07-27-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm no engineer... yet. But it would seem that the H pipe's straight through flow provides much less back pressure, and therefore the car doesn't have to push the exhaust as hard and makes slightly more power at the lower rpms. I would guess that at higher rpms the x-pipe's greater scavenging effect than the H-pipe results in higher power in the upper rpm range. But even then, not by much.

So, for roll racing the x-pipe has a greater advantage power-wise because the car tends to be in the upper rpms for a majority of the time. In drag racing since the rpms start pretty low the x-pipes advantage would be slightly less, but I'm sure it would still have a slight power advantage.

In any case the handful on ponies wouldn't make a significant difference unless you dyno race. I think clearance issues with aftermarket suspension parts, price, and sound quality should have a greater impact on someone's decision than just the minimal power differences.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mpe488
I'm no engineer... yet. But it would seem that the H pipe's straight through flow provides much less back pressure, and therefore the car doesn't have to push the exhaust as hard and makes slightly more power at the lower rpms. I would guess that at higher rpms the x-pipe's greater scavenging effect than the H-pipe results in higher power in the upper rpm range. But even then, not by much.

So, for roll racing the x-pipe has a greater advantage power-wise because the car tends to be in the upper rpms for a majority of the time. In drag racing since the rpms start pretty low the x-pipes advantage would be slightly less, but I'm sure it would still have a slight power advantage.

In any case the handful on ponies wouldn't make a significant difference unless you dyno race. I think clearance issues with aftermarket suspension parts, price, and sound quality should have a greater impact on someone's decision than just the minimal power differences.

yep pretty much what i said about the X pipe

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

X pipe will out flow an H.. Reason are b/c the x scavenges better and has higher exhasut velocity.. What does that mean? it lets the exhaust flow much more efficient and faster. the faster you ge the exhaust out, the more HP you will make.

Now i feel a little low end TQ loss, but at 3k - 6K RPMs car pulls like a rapped ape.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

This thread sucks. Whatever a person is running at the moment is the best setup in the world and there's no changing that persons mind. Who cares. I need more pics of h-pipe systems on the car for some ideas. My X pipe setup is the best in the world at the moment but I'm switching to an h-pipe setup. So, I'll have the best setup in the world again...just at a later date.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

HEY i have a Magnaflow 2 1/2 in. Xpipe forsale and 2 dynomax pro magnum bullet mufflers if anyones interested just PM me.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because something scavenges better does mean it flows better. A 2 1/4 pipe will scavenge better than a 2.5" pipe because it has a higher velocity per sq. inch cross-sectional area for equal flow rates. But it does not flow more air, it flows less. Scavenging is more about creating a vacuum behind the pressure wave.

I maintain that a dual 2.5" H-pipe will FLOW equal or more air than an X-pipe with dual 2.5" outlets but less than 3.5" cross-sectional area at the X.

Yes, the pulses merge and CAN aid scavenging. I guess that matters if you want to make an additional 3RWHP at the RPM that the X-pipe is tuned for in the exhaust - whatever that may be...

Old 07-28-2006, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Theres some good thoughts on this thread and ive been waiting a long time to see a dyno comparison between the two. Recently ive decided to go with an H setup WITH cats and will have them installed shortly. Ive heard before how the H doesnt scavenge and im hoping the cats will create some scavaging/backpressure. When it came to deciding I felt a better sound is more important then 5 more peak Hp that a X would give me. And now after seeing some evidence of an H producing more average HP, im glad I chose the H and think more people are gona start going that route.

Quick Reply: True Dual owners, X or H