Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my exhaust leak and need advice as how to fix it

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found my exhaust leak and need advice as how to fix it

Awhile back I posted that I changed my plugs and now had an exhaust leak, well Friday night at the track I found out what it was.

I was just out of the hole and as soon as I hit 3k for the window switch to kick the nitrous on I hear the loudest and scariest boom ever and a loud ticking then insued, I thought I blew a rod so needless to say I was scared shitless. Turns out that the #1 cylinder blew the spark plug clear out of the head! So I put the plug back in and the head didn't seem stripped or anything like that but the leak is still there.

How hard should I tighten the plug down? I am afraid to strip the head but really want to get rid of that leak. I was thinking some thread sealer or something like that but thought I should ask first. Have you guys ever heard of this and how would you go about fixing it?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

at the most I would hand thread it, then tighten untill you fell a desent amount of resitance, not to much or your strip it out, if you want, try some anti seize and that might seal it up, thread tape or teflon might melt under the high heat and make a good mess. If you have headers, check your gaskets, some times the leak might be there as well, I also did not see in your sig if you are running tr6's they are impairive for NO2 applications.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Tighten it pretty good, but dont put alot of *** behind it or you will strip it out... Use some anti-seize on it and see what happens.. And if you don't have the TR6's then get some.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

If its leaking at the spraks plug its more of a compression leak than an exhaust leak. If it possible that if you have headers that its leaking somewhere near the collector or headgasket or something. Also check the AIR and EGR bungs. Had the emission fittings blow out on a freinds car when we went wide open, sounded like a harley.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

I do have TR6's and stock manifolds. I will try the anti-seize and see if that helps.

Thanks guys.