Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What combination should i go with for LTs and my Borla for the meanest sound?
LTs, ORY, no cats
61.90%
LT's, Catted Y
28.57%
LT's, ORY, keep cats
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

How will Pacesetters sound with Borla?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you made a poll, the result would be

Rasp=

It seriously sounds like an old pickup with straight pipes. It may be loud, but you want to plug your ears and/or puke. I can't stand rasp, it's disgusting.

But to each his own, I suppose.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
If you made a poll, the result would be

Rasp=

It seriously sounds like an old pickup with straight pipes. It may be loud, but you want to plug your ears and/or puke. I can't stand rasp, it's disgusting.

But to each his own, I suppose.
Like he said, to each his own. The only way to really buy an exhaust is to hear your options in person. Going on what everyone else says is a bad idea. Everyone has their opinion and jhears things differently and explains things differently. Hear em in person, and by the way sound clips suck!
Old 06-19-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

my friend has the same setup as you are thinking about doing and it sounds awesome.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

you could always get a catless y-pipe and add cats later if you don't like it? why not? hold onto your stockers and throw 'em back on if you dont' like it

it'll probably be what I'd do. unless the high flow cats would make a huge improvement over stocks. but high flow cats probably wouldn't help rasp much. dunno
Old 06-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what the hell is with that poll? ORY w/cats? ... err isnt that a catted Y? ls1sounds.com... personaly I like the catted Y w/RT cats.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Launching!

I have posted about this setup several times and never get a good response but to answer your question, the only way the borla sounds good with ORY and LTs is to run the completely closed block off plate forcing all the exhaust through the muffler. The muffler kills about 90%of the rasp at 2200-2600 and has a really smooth tone, kind of a "turbo muffler" type sound. BUT it is a little too quiet at idle where as with the open plate it sounds awesome at idle and sounds like **** the rest of the time. Also the car will have much better low end power and throttle response with the block off plate in there. I thought about trying to find a good sounding, good flowing muffler to replace the borla muffler with and keep the block off closed. Haven't found anything yet. If you run any of the plates with any size hole, the rasp will return. Best alternative is to use the qtp e-cutout and then when you are pimpn through the car show, you can open it to sound good at idle, but when driving it around town, you can close the cutout and it be quieter, better sounding. I to like the borla quality and looks better then any other CB, and I am not running true duals because my car is lowered and I don't want the interior mone and drone. Let me know what you go with .
Old 06-19-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I say sell the borla but keep the tips and use them on the new cat back.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the sound, especially with a cam. My friend has H/C, FLP's with the open Y, and Borla with the open plate and It sounds great.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Kooks Headers, ORY and SLP LM and there is no Rasp. I have gotten nothing but compliments, It sounds amazing!
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

This poll is interesting. I'll leave it at that.....

I forget everything that's been said in this thread, so let me just say this:

Before you even consider going with something like the borla and no cats you need to try your best to hear a setup like it IN PERSON and listen to it at part throttle just driving around in the lower-middle RPM range as well as WOT. If you can't hear it in person first, be aware that you might end up wanting to change the setup almost as soon as you finish it. Just a word of warning, I know that there are a fair amount of peple who do like the way it sounds. (oddly enough...)
Old 06-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Ya sound clips are total BS, all they display is idle sound. Who gives a **** about how it sounds at WOT as long as it hauls ***. I am more concerned with a good clean sound when cruising around town at part throttle and having it sound like a nasty biatch at idle.

BTW mine has a Magic Stick and the idle sound is unbelievably good but the part throttle 2-2600k rpms is unbelievably bad, horrible rasp. With the block off plate closed, it will sound really clean going down the road with no rasp but at idle its a TAD too quiet for spending $ for a cam and LTs. Definetly RIDE IN THE CAR that you are trying listen to. That is the main factor. Sound clips blow..
Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Teching In

I have kooks lt's and a catted y with Borla, and no plate. I think that it sounds awsome.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

keep the borla, no cats, off road y pipe...loud and mean! its just a lot of people dont like how loud borla gets...i think it sounds great and would be even better with no cats
Old 06-20-2005, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98SuperSport
keep the borla, no cats, off road y pipe...loud and mean! its just a lot of people dont like how loud borla gets...i think it sounds great and would be even better with no cats
It's not how loud it gets, it's the rasp. I have dumped duals with bullet mufflers and a large cam. It's LOUD and I love it, but I couldn't stand ORY and borla/loudmouth type catback unless the solid plate was in because of the rasp. It sounds, well, like a pickup that cut it's exhaust off and goes blat blat blat down the road. To me anyway.....
Old 06-20-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get Cats if there is a borla CB with an open plate. It'd be too loud and raspy w/o cats. When I get the Pacesetters w/ the catted y, I'm going to fab up off road pipes for track use.

I have a borla on my 00 ws6. I don't use any plate and I also have a TR224 114. It sounds awesome!! The stock manifolds are a huge restriction right now but I love the way it sounds. I hope when I get LT's it doesn't sound too tinny. I'll be getting Pacesetters with a catted Y soon and will post sounds clips.

Will header wrap help the sound any?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same setup and it sounded like **** until I put a Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe. Now it is just music to my ears.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

I've got Pacesetters, the TSP ORY, a cut out, and a borla, When the cut out is capped, it's TOO damn loud and pretty raspy until about 3000 RPM. But when it's capped, I couldn't be happier with the sound. Mine sounds a little louder than stock at idle, but rips at Wide open throttle, nice deep tone to it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Cool

I have Pacesetter Longtubes, with their Y-pipe, and the Borla.

My Borla has a plate with three 3/8" holes in it, mostly capped off. I also have a cutout before the axle I open up at the track so I can hear the car. I get compliments all the time about how it sounds, cutout open or closed.

It's not the greatest sounding in my opinion, but not bad at all.

As stated above, you really should hear diffferent combo's yourself.

If you already have the Borla, go for it, if you do not like it - sell it and buy something else.

'J