Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The stock cat-back comes out without cutting after all.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 06:31 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The stock cat-back comes out without cutting after all.

I just pulled my stock cat back and put on a Hooker cat back in its place. I really wanted to pull the stock exhaust out without cutting it in case it was ever to go back in. From what I read, everyone says you have to cut it somewhere. I cannot figure out when the factory puts it in place during assembly but its really in there.

I tried out the back of the car by letting the right side shock go and lowering the axle. I also pulled out the panhard bar and and the brace right above it that also crosses the car. With those out, I could not lower the axle enough to get it out. I released the sway bar on the right as well and that let me jack the driver side of the axle up which cocked the passenger side of the axle downward. Still no go.

I removed the passenger side spring and with the muffler tilted about 45 degrees (driver side down) I got the pipe to swing over the right disc brake (wheel was off). Once I figured out how it was quite easy.

So for anyone who wants to pull it out intact, its do-able. Knowing ahead of time what method works it would only add about 45 minutes to the job. Although I used a lift, the muffler was not tilted too much when it finally came out, I think tall jack stands would do it.
Attached Thumbnails The stock cat-back comes out without cutting after all.-2stilltrying.jpg   The stock cat-back comes out without cutting after all.-s_3pulledfromside.jpg   The stock cat-back comes out without cutting after all.-s_4strapholdingaxle.jpg   The stock cat-back comes out without cutting after all.-s_s_1_stillstuck.jpg  
Old 06-19-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have taken them off without cutting on 3rd gen cars before without a lift too.

Speaking of lift, how much did that one in the pics set you back? I like it.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out Hydra Lift for the lift, look at the space max 700. I don't know what they cost new, I bought it used.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn...I had my car up on ramps today...to take off the slp dual dual exhaust..i had to cut it in two palces because lack of room under the car...but the TSP rumbler went on really easily.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's how we got mine off, but we didn't have a lift.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

man that is a lot of time to save something I would never put back on the car. LOL sawzall was to slow for me.

Quick Reply: The stock cat-back comes out without cutting after all.