Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car will spin over but not crank! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I have fuel pressure and it is a spark problem as in my first post. We're thinking the PCM is bad but I will let everyone know when I get it fixed.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An earlier post mentioned the cam sensor, You then talked about swapping out the crank sensor they are two separate parts. My car two yrs ago would at different times turn over continuously and not fire,sometimes 4 times in a row, other times would start straight away. It was the CAM sensor at fault.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Only thing that occurs is bad crank position sensor or could be bad coils. It could be bad coil pack connector to engine harness. Blow some Electronics cleaner thru the connector, let dry and plug back in.

Sounds like it's intermittent. Those are a b*tch to track down once you've exhaused the obvious things.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by queso
Only thing that occurs is bad crank position sensor or could be bad coils. It could be bad coil pack connector to engine harness. Blow some Electronics cleaner thru the connector, let dry and plug back in.

Sounds like it's intermittent. Those are a b*tch to track down once you've exhaused the obvious things.

8 bad coils not likely that they would all go out at once. 1 at a time maybe even 2 at a time but not 8. if its a connector it'll be at the pcm the only other connectors on that curcuit are at the coils and the coil wiring harness connectors and 2 (keep in mind passenger and drivers side are completely seperate of one another with the only common point in the wiring being the pcm connector and pcm) of them suddenly going bad at the same time not likely.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Agree with you that "8 bad coils not likely". That's why I started thinking the single connector that goes from coil pack to PCM harness or a bad wire. If one of those get's messed up or fouled with oil or something, you loose all 4 cylinders on that side at once. And that's enough to make the car hard to start or won't even start at all.

I've seen cars fire up on only 4 and it doesn't sound nice. Especially if all 4 missing ones are on the same side. Major motor shake and hard to keep it running. Agree with other posts above, the crank or cam sensor but it's my 2nd bet.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've started these and 5.3 with a coil pack connector d/c and they start up pretty quick based on what he states is happening he doesn't have spark at any cylinder. it can be a pcm (last thing I would try). a programming issue. cam or crank sensor connection at pcm (not likely because theres alot that goes through one connector and there would be alot of other problems if thats the case more than likley). to list in order what I would go for based on what info I have I would check out the crank and cam sensor operation and connection at these sensors. reprogram pcm see if problem goes away. check all connections include ones that have already been checked again. then I think I would say try a pcm but that would be the last resort as they are not returnable and expensive where you can get a crank or cam sensor off the shelf and try it out and see if it works and if not return them and get a refund.

by the way did you get a GM AC DELCO crank sensor last time around or cheap aftermarket. if you got an aftermarket one I'd say replace it with a GM one because I have yet to see a quality aftermarket company that can beat the gm stuff on things like sensors, alternators, starters and coils.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

I got the sensor from the dealer so it is gm. One way or another I'm going to get this SOB starting again.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

YAHOOOOO!!!! We found them problem! Apparently, GM did not connect the wire to the front jumper(fuse) box (where the ignition relay is located) on the under side good enough. So reconnected and boom fired right up. Thanks everyone for your advice, You all are awesome!

Last edited by BDiddy#11; 06-28-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Banned

I had that problem very recently and got it fixed. Thought is a fuel pump at first because sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. It would always crank though. Turned out to be a ignition relay. $9 part, $91 dollars in labor.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I had that problem very recently and got it fixed. Thought is a fuel pump at first because sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. It would always crank though. Turned out to be a ignition relay. $9 part, $91 dollars in labor.

It was not the relay, even though we did replace it. It was a loose wire in the jumper box. It was a beyatch to find too. It took two people one to crank it one to tap on things under the hood with a screwdriver. Since it is not the PCM, I'm happier than a pig in ****.

P.S. your video gives me tunnel vision. Sounds awesome!!

Last edited by BDiddy#11; 06-29-2005 at 12:37 AM.