Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for changing #8 spark plug.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Well I finally got around to changing the plugs. Except #8. I have followed Install University's write up on changing them, its a very good guide BTW. Well I ran out of daylight, so I'll be out there working on #8 tommorrow. I removed the AIR pipe and pushed the coil pack rail upwards to give myself some room. I tried their method of using a 1/2" swivel extension with no results. I couldn't get enough torque on the sucker to break it loose with tiny 1/4" ratchet that would fit back there. I tried using a 1/2" ratchet, but couldn't ever get the sucker in position and it was too big to work with back there. Right now my game plan is to go out there tommorrow and fiddle with the 1/2" ratchet and 1/2" extension and pray.

So how did you change your #8 plug? Can you get at the sucker better from underneath the car???(I doubt you could). How hard is it to remove that black plastic thing that is to the left and in the way?
Want to do it easy. And I mean EASY. Spend a little more time and take off AIR tube from header (5 min), take off coil pack (10 min), take off valve cover (5 min). And buy this wrench at your local Pepboys/Autozone. Husky makes it. I kicks butt for all sorts if tight places where conventional wrenches won't fit.

Look at it going to town on #8...

Old 06-24-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

damn i might have to get one of those
Old 06-24-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the real GM tool for this job. they sell it on ebay and at your dealer.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

When changing plugs, do yourself a favor and pull the coil packs for extra room. The #8 plug is easy to get from the top with a stubby ratchet. This way, you don't have to jack the car up and get it from underneath. Pulls the coil packs, and use a stubby. Problems will be solved.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
is this a Kent-Moore tool? JJ whatever whatever? do you have a part number?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the AIR tube and I slid the coil pack rail upwards, but didn't remove it(as specificed in the Install University instructions). I bought some more tools, including a really long 6" extension so I can get a big ratchet on that
b!atch and torque on it like no tommorrow. I think my problem was not having the right tools.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by queso
Want to do it easy. And I mean EASY. Spend a little more time and take off AIR tube from header (5 min), take off coil pack (10 min), take off valve cover (5 min). And buy this wrench at your local Pepboys/Autozone. Husky makes it. I kicks butt for all sorts if tight places where conventional wrenches won't fit.

What's the name of that tool?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
What's the part #???

Forgot to mention all my plugs were stubborn and required significant amounts of muscle and knuckle bashing to break loose.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

interested in this gm tool aswell

btw i did mine from the bottom w/ manifolds
from the top with Lts...
Old 06-25-2005, 04:10 PM

1. Put the socket on the plug first.
2. Place a short extention (1/2") on your wrench.
3. Use a short flex head wrench ($10 @ autozone)

If it is hard to get fill socket w/penitrating oil and cap it w/ your finger then put over the plug. Will smoke for a while when you start it up, but will help to loosen rusted in spark plugs.

good luck.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:52 PM
TOZ
On The Tree

I get mine from the bottom without removing anything, its easy.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

The key is to be in the proper position. Do yourself a favor and grab a milk crate and climb onto your battery. If you're kneeling on your battery, you'll have more control over the situation. That's how I did mine. Leaning over the fenders was killer on my back, and I couldn't get any leverage.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

.....i need to do the spark plugs but Im skeered......
Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TOZ
I get mine from the bottom without removing anything, its easy.
I Did my plugs today, it took me about 2 hrs. I got a 98 with the EGR and all the other crap and got mine from the bottom using a 3/8 rathcet with a swivel spark plug socket, a 1" extension connected to a 2" extension. First I got the swivel plug socket and got over the plug, then I added the 1" extension all from the top. Once you get that done, swivel the socket so that its facing down towards the ground, get underneath, add your 2" extension and there you are with plenty of room to connect it all to your ratchet and have plenty of space to "fight" the plug. I had more trouble putting the plug wire on than taking to plug out. Good luck its not that hard.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

I put one knee on the battery and support my other foot with something so I can really see down there. As was stated, put socket on plug first then a 1/2" extension then rachet. Mine's a lot easier now that I relocated the coil packs and ripped out the AIR system and AC crap!!

Bryan
parbreak
Old 07-03-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Its mind over matter,course I can swap plugs in 25 minutes wihout breaking a sweat, But really if you go from the top,try this little tip,if you want to take the time remove the PS coil pack,but without doing that you can do it by,leaning over the front bumper and running your arm right above the manifolds/header tubes straight back toward number 8. I use a 3/8ths rachet/plug socket with a swivel/1 inch extension.After you do it once it will get easier each time. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Its mind over matter,course I can swap plugs in 25 minutes wihout breaking a sweat, But really if you go from the top,try this little tip,if you want to take the time remove the PS coil pack,but without doing that you can do it by,leaning over the front bumper and running your arm right above the manifolds/header tubes straight back toward number 8. I use a 3/8ths rachet/plug socket with a swivel/1 inch extension.After you do it once it will get easier each time. Good luck.
I agree, but my arms won't fit up there with the coil packs in place . It's interesting to see all the different ways people are are changing there plugs though.

Dan
Old 07-05-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I finally got some time off of work this Sunday to change it. I removed the AIR tube of course. And then I completely removed the coil pack. That is the secret right there. I also tossed that back bolt into oblivion.

I used a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and then put my 1/2" ratchet on there.(on my previous attempt with the coil pack in place, I could only get my dinky 1/4" ratchet back there). I was on the battery the whole time BTW. I torqued on that sucker some, didn't get it loose. Got out the breaker bar and torqued some more. Finally it broke loose, and I didn't even bust my knuckles. I then ratched it out with the 1/2" ratchet until I realized that I couldn't get the ratchet out of there with the spark plug loose. The darn thing wedged itself into that little hole. So I tightened it back, got the 1/2" ratchet out, then got my 3/8" to 1/4" adapter. Got my little 1/4" ratchet in there and got it out. Tightened it back down with my 1/4" ratchet and torqued it down by feel.

I'd say the best tools for this job would be:
A 1" 3/8 extenstion.
A 3/8" ratchet with a small head and a long handle
A small 1/4 torque wrench so you don't have to do it by feel.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by queso

Pepboys, Autozone, Advanced Auto, True Value, Lowes..... THEY DO NO STOCK THIS TOOL! Home Depot stocks this tool with a part #051655655060. I just bought it there off the shelf. Husky is the manufacturer.

Fredzep
Old 10-30-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I take off the coil packs on both sides when doing my plugs. However, I still get number 8 from the bottom. I bought a 1" long extension for my 3/8" ratchet and that works really well on numbers 6 from the top and number 8 from the bottom.

Quick Reply: Tips for changing #8 spark plug.