Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me to swap Sweet Thunder's for my bullets

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO dual cutouts before the X meets up... it will be just like running open headers when needed... cutouts closed all week... sat. night open those suckers up!

flow better then bullets do to say the least... thas my plans.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOM98TA
IMO dual cutouts before the X meets up... it will be just like running open headers when needed... cutouts closed all week... sat. night open those suckers up!

flow better then bullets do to say the least... thas my plans.
It would be close to open headers, but in reality nothing will sound like open headers because even the ~18" of pipe required after the O2 needed for it to run properly will change the sound a fair amount vs open collector.

My current setup (dynomax bullets) makes plenty of power and more or less makes cutouts unecessary for max power. I'm mostly going for a better, more refined tone and slightly lower volume during day to day driving while still retaining the lumpy idle, screaming WOT and unrestricted flow. Originally I wanted sweet thunder sound but: The best sound with them is supposedly with an H-pipe, and (the big deciding factor) the 2.5" core plus the baffles restricting airflow is just too much restriction for me to deal with, especially once I get further into the mods.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Launching!

I meant the dual cutouts with a ST set up.. I wouldnt even bother with bullets.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

I meant the dual cutouts with a ST set up.. I wouldnt even bother with bullets.
Okay. Cutouts and ST's is a possibility. Issues with that are that it's more expensive and I'd have to get eletric cutouts if I wanted low restriction on command on the street. I am trying to figure out what to run other than my bullets. The borlas listed are not bullets. The borlamouth guys really like the way the XR1 changes the sound vs the loudmouth and even vs the dynomouth, and the version of XR1 I am looking at is even quieter and hopefully better sounding than the one they use.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Launching!

IMO 6-9rwhp lossage from a MUCH BETTER sounding muffler is worth it to me.. gona enjoy the car more.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

If you do it I wanna hear them Nathan.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

IMO 6-9rwhp lossage from a MUCH BETTER sounding muffler is worth it to me.. gona enjoy the car more.
Undestandable, but do sweet thunder's really sound THAT MUCH better than all of the other options? My car will see a lot of power down the road, (heads, forged inernals and nitrous will be added, maybe even a displacement bump) and I dont want to be swapping mufflers yet again or be forced into running dual cutouts with electric butterflies ($$$) in order to make power. The only thing holding me back from doing that right now is that I definately cannot afford the cutouts anytime in the near future and I have spent too much time and money making my car faster to go backwards...even if it's only a little bit.

I might just buy the damn sweet thunders. If there is one thing I have learned and should never, ever forget it's that ls1tech majority rule is virtually always right, even on opinion based things such as exhaust sound. I thought people running 4k stalls daily were crazy and my 3500 was big. Yeah, well, I had to have it restalled to 4k.

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
If you do it I wanna hear them Nathan.
Can do. Hopefully I actually get something else on there before long, but it might not be till september. Depends how many hours I get at work, which depends on the GD $&#$ corn growing faster. Stupid corn isn't growing fast enough.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Launching!

why must u go to electric cutouts? 70bucks heddman 3inch cut outs.... simple and it wont break.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

why must u go to electric cutouts? 70bucks heddman 3inch cut outs.... simple and it wont break.
Because I don't want to be stuck with a more restrictive exhaust unless I stop, get out and manually open them. This would be more of an issue later than now. I want to squeeze every last horsepower and tenth of a second I can out of this car, and sound is important too but it sounds damn fine even with the bullets. You really can't go wrong with duals.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Fug this, I made a decision. Sweet thunders it will be. Better sound, cheaper price, adequate flow. (for now) Then I will get cutouts to open header later, not necessarily with electric butterflies. Too many people have such awsome things to say about them. I just hope the sound will live up to all the rants, raves and extremely high reputation surrounding them. I had listened to the sound clip everyone (777 esp) links to and didn't see anything special about it, chalked it up to sound clips just not cutting it. Then I listened to some sound clips with bullets, and even in the soundclips there was a distinct difference between the two.

Plus I will then be able to say I have what most consider to be the single best sounding exhaust setup there is for an LS1. Well, maybe second, I could have an H pipe instead of the X.

Thanks guys, I can be pretty hard headed I guess and just didn't want to give up even 3 hp, but I just can't say no anymore.

This is the one everybody runs, in 18" length, correct?

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/chamber...html#stainless
Old 07-01-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, 18" is what you want. Stainless. (777 bought my car). You won't regret it.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:58 AM
TECH Junkie

You only have to please yourself tho. Forget what we all think, do what you want .

I think you're making the right decision tho. Thats pretty much what I would do in this case being my goals are similar to yours (except I want my car to be an M6...). I can live w/ a ~5hp loss if Im one of the best sounding cars on the street and @ the track.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

What you need to do is dyno compare both of them to see if the loss of power is a myth. Or at least see how much of a loss it really is. I can assure you they sound that much better. If they didn't then why is TSP making sweet-thunder duals now It's because as soon as you hear them once you will want to change. I'm trying to get my friend to put them on his '02 mustang gt and see how it sounds.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 777
What you need to do is dyno compare both of them to see if the loss of power is a myth. Or at least see how much of a loss it really is. I can assure you they sound that much better. If they didn't then why is TSP making sweet-thunder duals now It's because as soon as you hear them once you will want to change. I'm trying to get my friend to put them on his '02 mustang gt and see how it sounds.
I'd say they'd sound pretty good. There arent many exhaust systems on v8 stangs that sound bad. Maybe mustangexhaust.com has some sound files of the ST system...