Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think Maf is Bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think Maf is Bad

2001 Trans Am M6 with 42 k. Lid, tb, catback car. Recent plugs, fuel filter, top end cleaner, 02's, normal maintenance. I stil have this stumble at idle and a slight shudder upon acceleration. AF was normal for a stock car and had my car looked at by my trusty mechanic (don't have tuner software nor know of any tuners locally Fairfax, VA.) The only reading that seemed off was the Maf. When we unplugged the maf the car seemed to smooth out a bit, yet still not perfect. My mechanic said the maf is bad or faulty. I've cleaned my tb, cleaned the maf after these symptoms. This has been going on since 30k. Stealership no help on any of this, simply saying its normal since no codes. Plugs are on and everything looks and sounds good. Good to decent gas mileage. I know how we all feel about aftermarket maf's but I need some advise on what I should do. Should I buy a new maf and take my chances? Aftermarket or stock? I'm weary on buying from the board a stocker considering they might be selling because of it being faulty and not being honest. I really don't wanna drop $150 and find that nothing changed once again. Help!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Your problem sounds alot like the problem I used to have. I had all the same symptoms, no codes. Did all the above you stated and it was still there. Come to find out it was my motor mounts. I had pulled the rubber (on both) about half way of the metal it was bonded to. Mounts were around $50 and another 7 hours to change the driverside and 5 hours to change the passengerside.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

where did you buys the mounts from? who did you have do them? Thanks for the suggestion. I also have my stock y-pipe vibrating a lot and I get a vibration in the gas pedal at certain rpm's. every had those symptoms?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

The more I think about it, the mounts could be it! How to tell for a bad mount? Is it possible for a motor mount to go bad at 30-40k? How much and where to buy from please? Any others ever had this problem? I have a miss at idle, engine def shakes some, stock engine, no codes, lot of maintenance done, and a constant vibration throughout the car, frame of the car at idle, in gear, while driving I can feel the vib increase at certain rpm's and can sometimes feel it in the gas pedal.