Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual owners get in here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Big Al have a mandrel bender?? I know where that shop is, I was looking into a custom Y.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
Does Big Al have a mandrel bender?? I know where that shop is, I was looking into a custom Y.
No. Supposedly NO ONE around here has a mandrel bender.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the x-pipe is the right side up, but yeah- your bullets are WAY too low. Properly installed TSP TD's should look something like this:

I'd suggest undoing the hangers and loosening the clamps- then put a jack under the bullets and jack them up as far as you can to get them up into the tunnel. You'll then have to redo the hangers (drill, weld, whatever). If you start having clearance problems when jacking them up, wedge a prybar or similar instrument between the exhaust and wherever it starts hitting before jacking the bullets up to maintain acceptable clearance. You'll know you got them up where they need to be when you have to flip/bend the fuel/brake lines out of the way to clear the bullets.

Like jrp said, you'll never have the clearance of a cat-back, but with a little work you can get enough clearance that you shouldn't scrape over anything but speedbumps the size of Mt. Everest.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Just checked my TSP TDs. Car is lowered slightly (Konis on lower perch up front, rear isolator removed). Front height is 26 3/4" and rear height is 27 1/4" (driver's side slightly higher, passenger's side slightly lower). I took some pics with a can but just for reference until I can get the pictures up later on, it was a Sierra Mist can. The kink in the X is the lowest point and just above the "t" in "Mist" on the car (3 1/4" approx). Driver's side pipe is also pretty low but higher than that slightly. Lowest point on my Spiral Flows is around 3 3/4" of clearance. At stock height you can add an inch to all those clearance numbers.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Well thanks a lot guys. Looking at those pics kinda brightens my day a little bit since I see the potential, but it still sucks that mine are hanging really low. I will tell you that right before the inlet pipe meets the X on the driverside it's about an inch away from the floorboard, so that's gonna suck when I try to jack the bullets up. Should I hit it with a rubber mallet?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ritz
Well thanks a lot guys. Looking at those pics kinda brightens my day a little bit since I see the potential, but it still sucks that mine are hanging really low. I will tell you that right before the inlet pipe meets the X on the driverside it's about an inch away from the floorboard, so that's gonna suck when I try to jack the bullets up. Should I hit it with a rubber mallet?
I think if you jam a prybar in there to keep it in place while you jack up the bullets you should be fine. And actually I don't see that pipe moving much at all, especially if you keep it clamped to the header when you loosen the rest of the clamps. I don't remember mine shifting up at all when I raised my bullets- it was pretty much just from the x-pipe back that was raised.