Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR/AIR Removal problems/questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR/AIR Removal problems/questions

hey guys,

i've got all of my stock exhaust removed. I "think" i have all the egr, air stuff off. but I cannot figure out where my 1 3/8" plug goes! I bought the metal one from speed inc, along with my block off plates.

some of my questions are (sorry about the crappy pics):
this picture below is of an electrical plug, it pluged into the EGR selinoid...do I just leave it there? probably should tape it up, but I just wanted to make sure I took off the right thing lol

there is a small hose that pluged into the EGR selinoid, i put a screw into it, to close it out. is that good enough? or can that little hose come out? it is on the drivers side and runs to the passenger side, where it goes to a T fitting. Do i leave all of that, or take it off? Those small hoses run in the wire loumbs, so I'm guessing its not worth messing with.

next, is back to the 1 3/8" plug. Mine is steel, not the rubber "freeze plug" that some people run. is it supposed to go on the induction intake below:

b/c that doesn't fit? or am i supposed to leave the hose connected to that, and then my metal plug on the end of the hose.

i looked way in the back and i cannot see where that 1 3/8" plug goes. can someone show me a pic?

does it sound like I forgot to take anything off?

so once i get all my block off plates on, headers back on and my catback...i can start up the car and (pray it starts LOL) and i'll get a SES light. Is the car going to be okay to run like this? I didn't really plan on driving it other than to the dyno after i get my nitrous installed after the headers. I just want to ask if my engine is going to have a fit. I don't see why it would, other than run a little rich.

okay, sorry for the long post! so again, where the hell does that plug go?!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Snapped a few for you just now. I just did the EGR stuff yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails EGR/AIR Removal problems/questions-picture-003.jpg   EGR/AIR Removal problems/questions-picture-004.jpg   EGR/AIR Removal problems/questions-picture-005.jpg  
Old 07-10-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

holly crap, i musta forgot to take some tubing out. i'll PM you my email addy and send me all the pics you took lol

i thought i had everythinng

Last edited by MetallicaMatt; 07-10-2005 at 07:04 PM. Reason: i'm an idiot
Old 07-10-2005, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

The shiney thing in the center of the intake is the freeze plug.

..and before anyone says it...yes I know my motor is dirty lol
Old 07-10-2005, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
cool, if you have any, show me the ones with everything you took off, i believe i got everything.

I'll PM you my email, that'll work

I don't have any of the stuff I ripped out

I just snapped those ones above just now when I read your post, they're the only ones I have
Old 07-10-2005, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Also, aside from an oil leak(my fault) the car runs fine. A tad rich but fine.

I'm getting a tune to lean it out a bit AND to get rid of the SES light but aside from the oil leak it's certainly driveable.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

oh okay, thanks man

the hose that was pluged into where the freeze plug goes, where all does that go?
is there other stuff attached to it that I can take off?

the car is uptown otherwise i'd just go look lol
Old 07-10-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

one more thing

what about the smaller hoses that pluged into the EGR selinoid, what'd you do with those? leave 'em, or take them outa the wire loumb. where do they run after the T fitting on the passenger side?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

one more thing

what about the smaller hoses that pluged into the EGR selinoid, what'd you do with those? leave 'em, or take them outa the wire loumb. where do they run after the T fitting on the passenger side?
Bro. I think your a little confused let me see if I can help. EGR and AIR are to seperate things. They are both normally removed at the same time but are to seprate things all together. Here is a great write up on how to remove AIR

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/328977-exhaust-backfires-running-rich-poor-mileage-come-air-removal.html

Here is a great article on how to remove both AIR and EGR at the same time.
http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
Old 07-10-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks man

after reading that, i have the air all the way off. but not the egr. i'm confused though, on that link they said
"This is supposed to help reduce emissions. The '01 and '02 cars do not have this system."

is that correct? b/c i have an '02.

okay, so now that the plug is figured out. what about the smaller hoses that attach to the picture shown here:

he said he left the other vac. hose on the car. Can I pull that off also? Or is it not worth it? it runs from that solenoid to the passenger side, where it goes to a T fitting I believe, then they branch off into the wire covers. I don't know where they go from there

whata ya recommend? thanks guys!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

01-02 cars did not come with EGR. Glad I could help
Old 07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

so did i buy that freeze plug, well my metal one for no reason then? So do i have everything off that can come off?

do you have any help about the smaller hoses that connect to the AIR solenoid shown above?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Egr is alot easier to take off than air so you should not have a problem. Your plug goes on top of the intake. I believe the hose you are talking about is the one you will leave hooked to the back of the manifold and you thread a screw in it to plug it off so you don't get a vaccum leak
Old 07-10-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

well if i don't have EGR, since i have an '02, there wont be a spot for my plug on the intake, will there?

the hose that i screwed into is tiny, the exact same as the one pictued above. What do those hoses do? can i trace them through the wire covers and take them off? or do they have another vaccum use?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

well if i don't have EGR, since i have an '02, there wont be a spot for my plug on the intake, will there?

the hose that i screwed into is tiny, the exact same as the one pictued above. What do those hoses do? can i trace them through the wire covers and take them off? or do they have another vaccum use?

Exactly, you don't have EGR if you have an '02 so thats probably where some of the confusion came from for you. The hose you pluged with a screw connects to the back of the intake I believe someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Just leave it and use the screw like you have done or else you will have to put a dust cap on the back of the intake where that hose connects. You don't have EGR because yours is an '02 which means you have a LS6 intake manifold. That is another positive thing about the '01-'02's. There is quite a gain over the ls1 intake with the ls6 consider yourself lucky to have an '02
Old 07-10-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

BTW you should have only had to put a screw in one tiny hose in the back. If you have done this you are good to go.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
BTW you should have only had to put a screw in one tiny hose in the back. If you have done this you are good to go.

What he said.

When you ripped that bracket off the back of the driver side valve cover you have a tiny plastic hose with a rubber nipple like end left over. Just plug with with a screw and a little RTV and call it a day.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

sweet deal!! I guess I got it all!!

thanks a lot guys, i was so freaking confused where that stupid plug went!!

I think I still have a bracket in the back that I can unbolt. my friend took off the stuff in the back, since he has smaller hands. he just kinda pulled and wiggled and it all came off. so I guess the bracket is sitting there by itself. I don't think its holding anything else. I'll take it off.

thanks a lot guys, i was confused!

btw, how badly are my plugs going to fowl up running rich b/c of !air and !cats? I am putting TR6's on the car b/c of my nitrous. but if they are going to fowl right away, i'll wait until right before I dyno. I'd like to put them on now since the car is way up in the air

thanks again guys, you rock!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't worry about the plugs much. You'd have to be running super rich to really screw them up that soon.